U.K. Trustpilot

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Talking with the engineer who was fixing a few things for me this morning I learnt Quality matters are worse than ever!
Looking at https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.swiftgroup.co.uk, and the Bailey version and even Coachman, the stories arising are truly a concern. Very disappointing considering a lot of these caravans are circa £30 +.
Some of the stories and answers sum up what a shocking provider of quality our caravan Industry is selling.
Apparently all these new types of construction, all-tech, Solid etc are no better at stopping water ingress than the old ways. I’m sticking with my 15 year old girl, I know all her foibles and screws😉

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Talking with the engineer who was fixing a few things for me this morning I learnt Quality matters are worse than ever!
Looking at https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.swiftgroup.co.uk, and the Bailey version and even Coachman, the stories arising are truly a concern. Very disappointing considering a lot of these caravans are circa £30 +.
Some of the stories and answers sum up what a shocking provider of quality our caravan Industry is selling.
Apparently all these new types of construction, all-tech, Solid etc are no better at stopping water ingress than the old ways. I’m sticking with my 15 year old girl, I know all her foibles and screws😉

I don’t think your saying anything new to experienced caravaners.

John

Reactions: RogerL
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Looking at the new prices of the caravans today, I would be horrified to find damp at anytime, let alone on a new one. The caravan industry need a huge QC wake up.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It’s a sad indictment on the industry that new buyers get damp, but also the reviews where even fit and finish are sub standard isn’t good enough. It’s not just damp just look at the horror stories relating to cracked panels or detaching panels. In some respects the industry has gone backwards where the rest of the world has generally improved their products viz cars, electronics, appliances etc.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Spot on Clive ! The Industry has gone backwards. I was told some horrific stories yesterday that would put anyone off ever buying a current new caravan. 16 year olds straight from school applying sealant. with no training. Gas and electric items incorrectly fitted. Allegedly 85% of all new caravans leave the factory with faults , hits missing, body damage, faulty sealant application . No names but I suggest any new purchaser uses a well established Dealer with a good track record.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Spot on Clive ! The Industry has gone backwards. I was told some horrific stories yesterday that would put anyone off ever buying a current new caravan. 16 year olds straight from school applying sealant. with no training. Gas and electric items incorrectly fitted. Allegedly 85% of all new caravans leave the factory with faults , hits missing, body damage, faulty sealant application . No names but I suggest any new purchaser uses a well established Dealer with a good track record.
And one not too far away either. Saving some cash on purchase soon fades if you have 90 miles each way to get things sorted.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
It’s worse Prof. I am told the best vans from Boggy Bailey. Leaky Lunar, Soggy Swift were made between 2006 and 2012. Labour was hired on the cheap, fussy QC/QA staff were dispatched elsewhere to live out their days fitting wheel spats. The new construction methods have brought nothing to the table. They leak more than before.
I can only repeat the importance of using a top grade Dealer near to home if possible Also any new purchaser should take an hour and read up on CRA 2015, the only real friend you will have😉😉

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It’s worse Prof. I am told the best vans from Boggy Bailey. Leaky Lunar, Soggy Swift were made between 2006 and 2012. Labour was hired on the cheap, fussy QC/QA staff were dispatched elsewhere to live out their days fitting wheel spats. The new construction methods have brought nothing to the table. They leak more than before.
I can only repeat the importance of using a top grade Dealer near to home if possible Also any new purchaser should take an hour and read up on CRA 2015, the only real friend you will have😉😉
One possible advantage of the earlier construction vans was that they were not difficult to address damp and if caught early the costs were reasonable .. My 2005 S5 Pageant Bordeaux had no damp in nine years. It did have front and rear panels replaced in years 2 and 3 due to manufacture fallure to pre drill fastener holes. But Bailey sorted the warranty claim out without any quibble.

Reactions: Dustydog
May 7, 2012
Visit site
With the recent shortage of new models the firms have been churning them out as fast as possible and blow the quality. This can only come back to them as guarantee claims and with the level these seem to have reached I suspect it would be cheaper to get it right in the first place. Eldiss do seem to be spending a lot of money on this now so we will have to see what happens there.
In the interim possibly the advice is check them thoroughly before buying and reject any with serious faults and if you have trouble later pursue them and keep on using the courts if need be until you get things put right. Only then will the industry wake up.
I do think people who have a bad experience are more likely to complain than those who are happy, so the figures may be misleading, but at that same time are a sad inditement on the industry.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
With the recent shortage of new models the firms have been churning them out as fast as possible and blow the quality

I think I know what you mean but I'm not certain.

This can only come back to them as guarantee claims and with the level these seem to have reached I suspect it would be cheaper to get it right in the first place. ...

It has always been cheaper to do it right first time. there are plenty of well regarded studies that show that leaving inspection to customers is a very costly process approach which always costs more to repair than if it had been caught before it got out of the factory. The warranty costs can be driven right down to very low percentages of sale price if the product has been designed with minimising faulty construction in mind in the first place.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The warranty costs can be driven right down to very low percentages of sale price if the product has been designed with minimising faulty construction in mind in the first place.
Sad I know, knock ‘em up , ship em out , get paid. Their annual accounts show the amount reserved against warranty claims. Those sums are retained over the life of the warranty , thereafter back into their account. The punter of course is paying for this business model.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
[It has always been cheaper to do it right first time. there are plenty of well regarded studies that show that leaving inspection to customers is a very costly process approach which always costs more to repair than if it had been caught before it got out of the factory. The warranty costs can be driven right down to very low percentages of sale price if the product has been designed with minimising faulty construction in mind in the first place.
[/QUOTE]
When you look at the number of claims for damp, it does seem to prove the point, as they are not going to be cheap to resolve..

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
[It has always been cheaper to do it right first time. there are plenty of well regarded studies that show that leaving inspection to customers is a very costly process approach which always costs more to repair than if it had been caught before it got out of the factory. The warranty costs can be driven right down to very low percentages of sale price if the product has been designed with minimising faulty construction in mind in the first place.
When you look at the number of claims for damp, it does seem to prove the point, as they are not going to be cheap to resolve..
[/QUOTE]
My comment was not specifics to caravans. I once did some work for a company that had a long history of making a good product, but they employed a new bean counter who just went through the stock control lists and discovered a washer that cost £0.02 more than one of the same size used else where. He directed the directed the purchasing department to change the washer to the cheaper one without reference to the design department.

A few weeks later and several hundred product sold the company started to get reports from dealers of problems. After investigating the cheaper washer was causing the problem, it was reacting and corroding. All the affected product had to be either recalled from dealer stocks or visits made to customers to replace the part.

Parts cost saving to the company less then £10, cumulative warranty costs about £25,000! The bean counter was soon looking for another job, and all of his directives were investigated to see what else might come back to bite the company.

I was contracted to advice the companies Quality Management processes surrounding parts specifications and ordering to produce documented procedures to ensure any proposed product changes were managed properly.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Twenty years ago Prof we had a massive claim for explosions following faulty gas valves. The European manufacturer had changed them from flexible polyurethane type,plastic to hard brittle moulded injected plastic. The stems into the valve section were an interference fit. As as they were assembled the stem housing was fractured , failing after a few months use! All down to penny pinching Bean Counters.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts