UK CREDIT CARDS IN FRANCE

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Our Nationwide Credit Card worked in SOME pumps but not all. It was a new card in May this year, so should have the latest 'electronic wizardry'. We tried it when we had an alternative (ie in the 24 hour pump on a station which had other pumps open, and when we didn't have the van with us). This was so we could move pumps if it didn't work. It did - but then at another 24 hour pump it didn't!! Don't rely on it - fill up at normal pumps on the autoroutes, and leave the 24 hour jobs alone unless you don't have the van and don't have any alternative. At the worst keep enough euros in your pocket to fill up and then you may well find a very helpful Frenchman who will use his card and take the euros in payment.

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
Hi Wayne,

I'm British and I live in France. What Val says is correct.

However the problem is not our British credit cards it is the French card readers. Some have the latest technology enabling them to read ALL cards, British included, but some do not. We do NOT use the 24-hour unattended petrol pumps unless we have our French credit cards with us.

What Val recommends is a good guide. Having Euros cash with you and asking a local to pay with his/her card is a good move if you can't find an alternative. This actually happened to me when a FRENCH man's French card was not accepted - he gave me euros and I used my French card.

However, if you're travelling on the autoroutes then you should have no problem having your UK cards accepted.

Otherwise do as we do, always top-up during normal working hours at a manned pump.

Dave

Jan 20, 2008
Visit site
The same thing happened to us as did Val, couldn't believe it!, only one of the three pumps at the same petrol station accepted my card.

Glad I had left it till evening when there was nobody about, that meant I could try the pump first and if it didn't work move to another without everybody watching.

Dave.

Apr 5, 2005
Visit site
The same thing happened to us as did Val, couldn't believe it!, only one of the three pumps at the same petrol station accepted my card.

Glad I had left it till evening when there was nobody about, that meant I could try the pump first and if it didn't work move to another without everybody watching.

Dave.
Look for Esso Express unmanned stations. Cheap fuel and Uk cards work fine.

Alan

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
It's worth a bit of research on your card too. I've used EGG for the past years, but they have now introduced a transaction fee. Earlier posting suggests a Nationwide card and they are currently advertising no such fees. You should find that you get a good exchange rate on your credit card, but any fee negates the convenience.

Also bear in mind that some pumps will complete the transaction and return your card before you dispense any fuel. Thought I'd been ripped off the first time it happened to me!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts