ULEZ! A step too far🤔🤔🤔

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I understand other than a few newish Euro 6 or EVs all other vehicles within the M25 Greater London belt will have to pay £12.50 per 24 hours to drive within the area 😢.

A friend of mine here in North Wiltshire is a BA pilot travelling to Heathrow three times a week.
As a result of this new London law he is going to change his car, a Vauxhall Insignia to something else so he doesn’t get caned with a punitive tax. A real shame because his Insignia is low mileage well maintained.
Amazes me what a “Mayor” can do these days🥴

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I understand other than a few newish Euro 6 or EVs all other vehicles within the M25 Greater London belt will have to pay £12.50 per 24 hours to drive within the area 😢.

A friend of mine here in North Wiltshire is a BA pilot travelling to Heathrow three times a week.
As a result of this new London law he is going to change his car, a Vauxhall Insignia to something else so he doesn’t get caned with a punitive tax. A real shame because his Insignia is low mileage well maintained.

EVs, Euro 6 diesels and Euro 4, 5 & 6 petrols are all exempt from the ULEZ - so your friend's Insignia must be at least 8 years old if it doesn't qualify - there's an online checker using registration number and DVLA records.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
.......there are complaints from residents living near the border of ULEZ that they are faced with paying the daily tax for visiting their normal supermarket or local hospital etc.
Not everyone can change their vehicle in order to become exempt.

Reactions: Hutch and Dustydog
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
EVs, Euro 6 diesels and Euro 4, 5 & 6 petrols are all exempt from the ULEZ - so your friend's Insignia must be at least 8 years old if it doesn't qualify - there's an online checker using registration number and DVLA records.
A 64 diesel

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
With the latest idea form London's Mayor, he wants the ULEZ to go well outside the M25 slow speed Motorway. Remember you might also have to pay the Congestion zone charge as well. If there are two people in a car it may pay you to drive in.
A trip for me to see my son in Dulwich, From Milton Keynes I can get a return ticket on the train to Euston Station for £14.50 if I buy on line. £21.70 otherwise,.Public transport £7.50, ,but parking is £10. Plus drive to and from Station. = £35 ish.
Driving in to Dulwich.
100 miles round trip, at 30 mpg average. = ≠£25, ULEZ plus congestion cost £30, parking another £10, Heart Check driving through the center of London £0.00 ( Staples Corner, to Marble Arch, to Vauxhall Bridge to Dulwich) = £65 but then I have to buy him dinner.
So for two of us it is cheaper to drive in, and then we have a guaranteed seats. Which you don't have on the trains and underground.
I love the drive around central London, Except for the 20mph limits.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Londoners get very good concessionary travel on TFL using the older persons Freedom pass. Visitors that hold a concessionary pass from their council can use TFL buses from 0930 weekdays and any time at weekends. But no doubt its going to become harder for those not eligible for concessionary travel.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Londoners get very good concessionary travel on TFL using the older persons Freedom pass. Visitors that hold a concessionary pass from their council can use TFL buses from 0930 weekdays and any time at weekends. But no doubt its going to become harder for those not eligible for concessionary travel.
Using your Bank contactless card on the underground is the cheapest way, touch card going in the station tap again leaving the station, about 25% less cost.
Underground is easy to understand but bus routes not so easy to understand unless you love Jellied eals and mash.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Using your Bank contactless card on the underground is the cheapest way, touch card going in the station tap again leaving the station, about 25% less cost.
Underground is easy to understand but bus routes not so easy to understand unless you love Jellied eals and mash.
Can you use a Freedom Pass from your phone? Do TfL still have a maximum charge per day like they introduced on Oyster?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Can you use a Freedom Pass from your phone? Do TfL still have a maximum charge per day like they introduced on Oyster?
I don't know what Freedom Pass is ? SWMBO never lets me out on my own after 3pm. As I have a tendency to go walk about. But she has used her phone to pay by Google pay on the underground , from her phone.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Finding your way on the bus is also easy with a bit of help, like this.
City Mapper

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Our regiment has a gathering every month at the Victory Services club in London. To date we have never been able to attend. It is just outside the inner ULEZ zone and I need to use a car to get to area as difficult for me to use public transport.

Coming from the west it seems the best route takes you into the ULEZ for about 400yrds. Our vehicle is now a Euro 6, but I think we would still need to pay the congestion charge even with a BB?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

I think airplane passengers will raise a lot of objections as in addition to the airport and other taxes plus parking, they will then have to pay a ULEZ charge. Doubt if many will be happy to pay that and will use other airports and airlines.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We decided to transition to petrol in 2017. Our 10 year old Note diesel was getting on in life and with LEZ due in Bath and Bristol we decided to replace it with a petrol for running about. Particularly we were keen not to be paying “ entry” costs to LEZ s if we were required to attend hospitals in either city. In 2019 we sold the diesel Superb as it was giving one issue after another and had as bad vibration under load that couldn’t be diagnosed. So I bought a Forester XT which towed well albeit thirsty. So by 2019 we had cars that could be used in any LEZ or ULEZ and didnt require DPF, adblue or other complications. Once we sold our caravan the Forester went and we now have two cars each of which easily achieve 50 mpg and have low running costs. So in some respects the introduction of LEZs and ULEZs has had some bearing on our purchasing decisions.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Our regiment has a gathering every month at the Victory Services club in London. To date we have never been able to attend. It is just outside the inner ULEZ zone and I need to use a car to get to area as difficult for me to use public transport.

Coming from the west it seems the best route takes you into the ULEZ for about 400yrds. Our vehicle is now a Euro 6, but I think we would still need to pay the congestion charge even with a BB?
Do you mean "Congestion Zone" - with your Blue Badge you can register to get free access to the Congestion Zone - the cost is/was £10 but it lasts until your badge expires so effectively £10 every 3 years - but if your vehicle doesn't qualify for the ULEZ, that charge is still payable.

So in your case, register and then get in free of charge.

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I think airplane passengers will raise a lot of objections as in addition to the airport and other taxes plus parking, they will then have to pay a ULEZ charge. Doubt if many will be happy to pay that and will use other airports and airlines.
The M4 isn't included in the ULEZ so Heathrow traffic won't need to pay.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
We decided to transition to petrol in 2017. Our 10 year old Note diesel was getting on in life and with LEZ due in Bath and Bristol we decided to replace it with a petrol for running about. Particularly we were keen not to be paying “ entry” costs to LEZ s if we were required to attend hospitals in either city. In 2019 we sold the diesel Superb as it was giving one issue after another and had as bad vibration under load that couldn’t be diagnosed. So I bought a Forester XT which towed well albeit thirsty. So by 2019 we had cars that could be used in any LEZ or ULEZ and didnt require DPF, adblue or other complications. Once we sold our caravan the Forester went and we now have two cars each of which easily achieve 50 mpg and have low running costs. So in some respects the introduction of LEZs and ULEZs has had some bearing on our purchasing decisions.
The LEZs being introduced outside London are confusing as there are 4 different classes of vehicles affected and most of the LEZs are only affecting commercial vehicles, not private cars.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

They only pay the ULEZ charge if their vehicles care non compliant. No one says it’s going to be easy but Londons air quality, and most other British cities woefully fail to meet our own legislative standards, and have done so for years with a predicted compliance date well into the future. I don’t see any real alternative options put forward for a pain free solutions, other than lower emission vehicles. But there’s still the contaminants from tyres and brakes and don’t start me on wood burners 😱

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The LEZs being introduced outside London are confusing as there are 4 different classes of vehicles affected and most of the LEZs are only affecting commercial vehicles, not private cars.
Yes I am aware of the differences as we regularly visit Bath and Bristol but fortunately not for medical visits. Bath chickened out in not including private vehicles. But that’s Bath all over.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I can't stand London so I simply stay well away!

We have not been to London for two decades and only went because my father wanted to see around London again. The last time was when he was returning as a soldier after WW2. However we used the train to get to London, then the underground, buses and taxis.

TRENDING THREADS