Umm, how waterproof is a motor mover?

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
Went to get my caravan out of storage today to bring home and wash since the forecast is good for tomorrow. Basically underestimated how bad the flooding around here is. Going there, no problem. Stupidly took a different route coming back and encountered flood waters. Studiously watched a few vehicles going back and forth and decided it was OK. It got quite deep in places but not over bottom of the caravan. Suddenly it dawned on me that the mover might be getting wet. Ended up in a right pickle. Took a shortcut to avoid a village which I know always gets flooded, and encountered another load of rather deep water and couldn’t see the end of it . Ended up detaching van and spinning it round on a narrow road. A good samaritan stopped to check if everything was OK and gave me a route which was clear. Thank fully now it’s sat outside my place and hopefully annoying the neighbours .

One would hope the mover motors are waterproof to some degree… still, I won’t be firing it up tomorrow to move the van, I’m going to give it time to dry.

• Wow
Reactions: Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My Powrtouch would get water by its rubber boot and into the power cable terminals and contacts. The rubber boots tended to split after a short time. So I removed the boots, disconnected the cables. Cleaned cable connectors and the permanent terminals. Replaced the cable and stuffed thevareas with electrical putty which is waterproof and non hardening. I then wound self amalgamating waterproof tape around the whole area. To make sure the tape never got disturbed I wrapped some tie wraps around. Never had water ingress or connectivity problems afterwards.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Went to get my caravan out of storage today to bring home and wash since the forecast is good for tomorrow. Basically underestimated how bad the flooding around here is. Going there, no problem. Stupidly took a different route coming back and encountered flood waters. Studiously watched a few vehicles going back and forth and decided it was OK. It got quite deep in places but not over bottom of the caravan. Suddenly it dawned on me that the mover might be getting wet. Ended up in a right pickle. Took a shortcut to avoid a village which I know always gets flooded, and encountered another load of rather deep water and couldn’t see the end of it . Ended up detaching van and spinning it round on a narrow road. A good samaritan stopped to check if everything was OK and gave me a route which was clear. Thank fully now it’s sat outside my place and hopefully annoying the neighbours .

One would hope the mover motors are waterproof to some degree… still, I won’t be firing it up tomorrow to move the van, I’m going to give it time to dry.

When driving on wet roads the motor mover can get a good soaking.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Presumably you have not used the mover since the event. Provided the weather is reasonably fine and warm for the next couple of weeks I would hope it will have dried out and check it then. Generally the problem with electrical things getting wet is they short out if not allowed to dry out in my experience. Most of the makers have a help line and it would do no harm to have a word with them.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am not aware of any caravan mover that gaurantees their product from complete immersion in water. They do have enough protection (provided the mover is fitted correctly) against normal road splashing.

TRENDING THREADS