Undercar tow hitch

Oct 9, 2022
Visit site
I have a factory fitted tow hitch which swings down from under the car when required , problem is rust on the cleaned to ball, is there a product i can coat it with this winter to prevent so much rust forming

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If you are not going to use it I would use ACF 50 anti corrosion spray, or waxoyl to coat it, but before using it again you would have to thoroughly clean it with a degreaser. Make sure you have two towball caps and one should never be fitted to the towball when it has any anti corrosion substance on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jcloughie
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
If you are not going to use it I would use ACF 50 anti corrosion spray, or waxoyl to coat it, but before using it again you would have to thoroughly clean it with a degreaser. Make sure you have two towball caps and one should never be fitted to the towball when it has any anti corrosion substance on it.
Some, perhaps all, towbars which swing down are stowed at such an angle that use of a towball cap will just collect water from road spray - "got the T-shirt" so don't use a cap on my VW Touareg.

Oct 9, 2022
Visit site
Thanks both I’ll get some ACF 50 and clean off in the spring when we start again! I’ll not use the cap at all , mines a Skoda so likely to be similar design to a Touareg

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
If it’s only a matter of preventing rust while the towbar is unused and in the retracted position for a few months there shouldn’t be so much rust forming in that period of time that would necessitate any for of protection. Any rust film that may form during that time will still be so thin and loose that one can just wipe it off with a dry cloth. That’s all I do.

May 11, 2021
Visit site
If it’s only a matter of preventing rust while the towbar is unused and in the retracted position for a few months there shouldn’t be so much rust forming in that period of time that would necessitate any for of protection. Any rust film that may form during that time will still be so thin and loose that one can just wipe it off with a dry cloth. That’s all I do.
Our Volvo has the electronically-deployed, underslung towball. We just put the cap on it and put it away, then give it a light cleaning before next use. The longest duration without use is about 5 months and over that time it picks up a dull tarnish but nothing you'd call 'rust' or serious corrosion.

Reactions: Pamplona

TRENDING THREADS