Unicorn Vigo - dealer has fitted TV bracket backwards.

Aug 15, 2021
Visit site
Hi,

First time here.

I have had vans for a few years and just taken the plunge and bought a new Unicorn Vigo. Wanting a TV mount and nervous about self fitting in the new van I spoke to the dealer, selected a bracket and they said they would fit it, magic I thought.

Picked up my pride and joy yesterday, TV bracket fitted but it looked a little strange, could not put my finger on it, however, looking at I this morning the penny has dropped. It has a detachable Vesa mount for the TV, they have screwed this to the panel and clipped the bracket to it leaving wall mount to fit the TV.

On investigation they have used 12mm self tapping screws into the panel and where they have mounted it the panel is 3mm thick at best, no bracing behind it.

Waiting to speak to after sales on Monday, but I am going to be left with 4 ugly screw holes in my nice new van. What should I expect the dealer to do?

Thanks

DC

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

First time here.

I have had vans for a few years and just taken the plunge and bought a new Unicorn Vigo. Wanting a TV mount and nervous about self fitting in the new van I spoke to the dealer, selected a bracket and they said they would fit it, magic I thought.

Picked up my pride and joy yesterday, TV bracket fitted but it looked a little strange, could not put my finger on it, however, looking at I this morning the penny has dropped. It has a detachable Vesa mount for the TV, they have screwed this to the panel and clipped the bracket to it leaving wall mount to fit the TV.

On investigation they have used 12mm self tapping screws into the panel and where they have mounted it the panel is 3mm thick at best, no bracing behind it.

Waiting to speak to after sales on Monday, but I am going to be left with 4 ugly screw holes in my nice new van. What should I expect the dealer to do?

Thanks

DC

I would ask for the wallboard to be replaced with identical matching type as originally used. Or to exchange your caravan with one that has not been defaced.

Aug 15, 2021
Visit site
My thoughts were to ask for the wall board to be changed. As for new van, we bagged the last 2021 Vigo they had. No problem I guess about taking a 2022 which are on October delivery but we have trips planned and I have sold my other van. I could argue the difference in price but I would have thought a panel would be cheaper. Honestly don't know whether I am ballsy enough to to say take it back, especially with the other add ons I had.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My thoughts were to ask for the wall board to be changed. As for new van, we bagged the last 2021 Vigo they had. No problem I guess about taking a 2022 which are on October delivery but we have trips planned and I have sold my other van. I could argue the difference in price but I would have thought a panel would be cheaper. Honestly don't know whether I am ballsy enough to to say take it back, especially with the other add ons I had.
You’ve got to be clear on what you want. It may mean sacrificing a trip or two but if an exchange is your aim stay firm and clearly elucidate what you want. Going down the replacement panel route is your other option but again make it clear that the caravan must be returned to as new condition, and if it is not then you have right of rejection. You should read the Citizen’s Advice website on the Consumer Rights Act 2015 to update yourself on your rights as a customer. I would also strongly advise that any concerns, agreements etc are put down in writing so both parties are clear on the status of the discussion.

I am quite appalled at what the dealer has done to your caravan, unfortunately on this site it’s not unheard of. Good luck and would welcome updates as they help others.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
I think expect the panel to be replaced, some bracing to be neatly applied inside the panel and 4 self tappers through a 3mm panel does not sound secure at all. You would presume that Bailey should be able to supply the dealer with a replacement panel although unlikely to be a short wait for it. Pity they didn't follow the old maxim - measure twice fit once - as you would have done if you had done it yourself.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
If that is what the dealer calls workmanship I would have real issues trusting him to tie his own shoelaces.

Changing the panel is one option but i would reject the van and go elsewhere even if means a delay.

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
The problem is that their workshop has spoiled the brand new caravan, and any remedial work will be done by same workshop. We started our new caravan adventure with a similar bodged job. We have had bodged and re-bodged warranty work for about 5 years now. It's a nightmare. Tell the dealer to take it back and sort it, then have a very close look at their rework.
Meanwhile, if you used a credit card or finance, tell them what's going on just in case you reject the caravan.
Good luck.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The caravan you have received is not as per the contract you signed to purchase. It is damaged by their inadequate workmanship, and the item they fitted cannot be used, So you have two basis on which you can legitimately reject the caravan back to the seller.

Read up about the Consumer Rights ACt, as this is the legal tool you have every right to use.

It will tell you you need to "reject" the caravan because it has been damaged (by the incorrect fitting of the bracket) and secondly becasue the bracket has been fitted incorrectly "it is not fit for purpose"

Because you are within 30days of receiving the goods You could legitimately require a full refund. However I suspect all you really want is the panel replaced and the TV bracket fitted correctly, so you could opt for the repair.

Under the CRA the seller has 1 chance to correct the fault.

You should not be left out of pocket or inconvenienced by this process.

Keep written evidence of all conversations, if possible have a witness present, and take photographs.

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
The other thing I would do, is to find out what a correctly fitted TV bracket on a properly reinforced panel looks like. It's not rocket science, but it needs to be substantial so that the panel doesn't fatigue over time. I assume the the back of the panel is not visible, so I would have fully bonded a full width square panel of 5mm ply behind and then some M5 screws into nyloc nuts with penny washers.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We had this happen to us under Sale of Goods Act and they refused to replace the panel. Instead they put stickers over the two holes and gave us some freebies. They had mounted the fire blanket behind the hob. How are you supposed to reach it if you have a fire on the hob? Maybe consider giving them the choice of covering the holes with stickers and giving yo a discount or a full refund.
With the same caravan on arrival at the dealer they were busy changing the jockey wheel assembly. The rear wheel steadies were down and the person changing the assembly had wound the jockey wheel down as far as possible so that the front of the twin axle caravan with the front steadies down was well off the ground.
Being newbies at the time we thought it unusual but weren't sure. I mentioned it to the workshop manager and he went over and had a word with the person who had only started work there the week previously. That incident came back to haunt us 3 years later when the caravan had to be returned to the factory for repairs.

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
I think you will find that bracket advertised on a web site, and I think it may be ok. It can be reconfigured.
If so, the issue of strength is all you have to deal with, and I posted what I thaught yesterday.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I totally agree with DCStubs regarding the fitting of teh bracket. The Vesa fixing for the TV or Monitor needs to have 4 equally spaced holes forming a square. The picture shows a rectangular mount which is not Vesa compatible.

However if you look at the other end, that has a square form, and it appears to be demountable. In my opinion the bracket has been mounted incorrectly.

The demountable part should attached to the TV so it can be unclipped for storage or transit.

The fitter is 100% responsible and should pay for the new panel and all fitting costs.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Regardless of whether he has put the mount on back to front, which he clearly has, he should have brased such a thin board, and considering the weight of the TV (not heavy but too much for such a poorly conceived fixing, I personally would have used nut and nyloc nut, with a flat washer either side of the board.

Even had he put the mount on correctly its a proper Reckham and Bodgitt job.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As you obviously want the caravan, it seems to make sense for the repair to be carried out. However you must take control of the situation by formally rejecting the caravan back to the seller under CRA complaint . If you have used finance to buy the caravan, section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act makes the finance provider jointly responsible for the condition of the goods, and you should also involve them. After all their investment in the caravan will have been devalued by the poor workmanship, and they will want to see the full value reinstated.

You can elect for full refund, a cost reduction commensurate with the loss of value or repair. The CRA stipulates that the seller has one chance to make good the repair. and if it's not adequate then you can change your requirement to a full refund.

In this case as it is a brand new and unused caravan, If you opt for the repair make it very clear that the caravan must be returned to "as new" condition, in other words not just a cosmetic repair but the panel must be replaced, and the bracket mounted so it is strong enough to take the weight of the television.

Do not accept a new skin over the damaged panel - that is "not as new" and not what you ordered.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Dc Stubbs.
You may as well show the dealer a transcript of this whole thread and simply say you know beyond all reasonable doubt your Statutory Legal Rights. Fix it as the Prof has said or ask for a full refund immediately.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I still think a bracket with a larger base covering the original holes is a better solution plus of course some compensation for the inconvenience. However up to the OP to decide how they want to proceed.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am absolutely certain, the OP did not order or pay for a damaged caravan, so why should he accept one? Quite simply the caravan has been poorly modified which has damaged a panel. The person or company carrying out the modification is required to carry such works with and acceptable level of competence, and they have failed exquisitely. Not only has the mod damaged the caravan, the supplied goods are incapable of functioning as intended.

I'd guess for those that suggest the OP should simply accept the holes left by bodged modification, would be quite happy to have a few extra holes drilled in the door of their car where the fitter bodged the fitting of the mirror or trim....

Reactions: otherclive
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
We need to reflect that the OP is , shall we say, reticent to create waves with the dealer. Us old dogs see no fear and take no prisoners🤪. I’m in the Prof camp on this one. The dealer either replaces the entire panel and fits the TV bracket correctly, offers a few accessories as an apology or if they will not then the full might of the CRA2015 will demand a 100% full refund, no question. I really don’t understand why caravanners are seen as the soft touch for accepting sub standard goods🤬🤬🤬

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If OP requests change of panel the delaer may simply give them a refund and walk away and refuse to take another order off them as that is the easiest way out for the dealer. A matter of economics.
Not for one minute am I suggesting that it is acceptable having extra holes in the panel, but if they are covered permanently, why give yourself hassles and be without the caravan and spoil your planned holidays.
It is up to OP to decide and not us!

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I have been over to the dealers today changing my order to the Vigo. Luckily our brackets will come factory installed on a full thickness panel, but having had a good look at the 2021 model i can see the OPs problem. That panel is paper thin. It flexes with the lightest touch. Would I mount a TV bracket there, not likely. Assuming its the same for the OPs caravan and is the side panel to the fridge, I would also be checking to see if the fridge had been compromised as the OP suggests longer screws had been used.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If OP requests change of panel the delaer may simply give them a refund and walk away and refuse to take another order off them as that is the easiest way out for the dealer. A matter of economics.
Not for one minute am I suggesting that it is acceptable having extra holes in the panel, but if they are covered permanently, why give yourself hassles and be without the caravan and spoil your planned holidays.
It is up to OP to decide and not us!
If the dealer acted as you suggested then the OP could count themselves lucky as that could be indicative of the likely response when warranty issues may arise.

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
I
I have been over to the dealers today changing my order to the Vigo. Luckily our brackets will come factory installed on a full thickness panel, but having had a good look at the 2021 model i can see the OPs problem. That panel us paper thin. It flexes with the lightest touch. Would I mount a TV bracket there, not likely. Assuming its the same for the OPs caravan and is the side panel to the fridge, I would also be checking to see if the fridge had been compromised as the OP suggests longer screws had been used.
I am not familiar with the design of that caravan, but if the panel is at the side of the fridge I wonder how the fridge is retained. In most cases the screws inside the fridge go into the cabinet wall. Now if the panel is gust 3mm thick, what holds the fridge in?

TRENDING THREADS