Unicorn Wheel Nut Fitment

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Had our 2015 Unicorn Cadiz for 4 weeks now and love it to bits.
However,this morning went to storage compound to give it a clean and thought I would take torque wrench to check wheel nuts.
I cant get the supplied socket to fit🤔
When I collected it,I noticed during the handover,that this socket was missing.
The chap went inside and returned with a brand new one.
It wasnt until now that ive found it doesnt fit.
When I say"doesnt fit"....it probably would if I gave it a tap with a hammer,but dont really want to do that.
Is it possible that older/newer Unicorns have different sockets?
You can see in picture where its been touching the wheel nut as ive tried to fit it
20200829_132605.jpg

Attachments

• 20200829_132605.jpg
    20200829_132605.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
However,this morning went to storage compound to give it a clean and thought I would take torque wrench to check wheel nuts.
When I say"doesnt fit"....it probably would if I gave it a tap with a hammer,but dont really want to do that.
You can see in picture where its been touching the wheel nut as ive tried to fit it
View attachment 712

I had a similar problem when I bought a spare wheel kit for my wife’s car. The supplied socket would not fit but only by a very small margin. I bought a replacement socket from Toolstation and it fits perfectly. It’s not uncommon with some of the cheap stuff out there and some won’t find out until too late.

For wheel nut wrenches I always use the sockets with the hexagon fitment. Like this 18 mm on Amazon. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stanley-1-...=1&keywords=18mm+socket&qid=1598705293&sr=8-3

May 2, 2020
Visit site
I think that most caravan wheel studs are 19mm is the one that the dealer supplied some sort of locking wheel nut adapter would contact dealer about it

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
That's a security key, specific to the bolts on your caravan - if it doesn't fit, the dealer's given you the wrong one!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I think that most caravan wheel studs are 19mm is the one that the dealer supplied some sort of locking wheel nut adapter would contact dealer about it

The one I showed from Amazon was solely to show the hexagon fitment socket as I assumed the OP would know his nut size anyway.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
View attachment 712

That is a WSL safety key, as Bailey fit them to later model vans. My older Unicorn did not have them and I lost a wheel in Normandy at 55 mph, that was fun!

So far as I am aware WSL only make the one key, so they are not individual like cars. It’s possible they have a couple of versions but you could check here.

I bought my Lunar new in 2015 but Lunar said they did not have a detachment problem so would not be following Bailey in fitting them, but they had no problem with me fitting them, so I purchased them directly from the manufacturer. Never understood why wheels should detach from a Bailey but not a Lunar, as they share the same chassis.

John

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Quick update......
Visited dealer this morning and explained the problem.
He took the safety key from me and(after a little bit of persuation,) managed to get it to fit on 3 seperate Bailey caravans.
He admitted that sometimes it just needs a bit of patience and perseverence,but it does fit.
He said it was pointless giving me another new security key as there is only 1 size.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
I had thought it to be a 'security key' but can that be the case if they are the same on all models and readily available to owners and potential thieves! Worth checking the insurance policy perhaps - the set I bought to comply with my policy are supposed to have many differs, and therefore make it 'impossible' without the specific key to remove the wheels. With this in mind I always leave the key by the entry door when travelling just in case I need to change a wheel en route.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Quick update......
Visited dealer this morning and explained the problem.
He took the safety key from me and(after a little bit of persuation,) managed to get it to fit on 3 seperate Bailey caravans.
He admitted that sometimes it just needs a bit of patience and perseverence,but it does fit.
He said it was pointless giving me another new security key as there is only 1 size.

A bit like what I said in post 7!

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts