upgrading a battery charger

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

I wonder if anyone could advise me on an electrical problem;

I have a 2006 Compass Omega 534 which I have left plugged into the house mains for some time as we've being using it as an extra bedroom for guests. I had left the 110amp leisure battery connected also.

I noticed recently that the power meter wasn't showing any voltage on either battery or mains however the 13amp plugs in the van worked but some lights and the heater didn't.

I was advised that I'd probably burnt out the on board charger so I bought an NE143-P Nordelettronica Battery charger as a replacement.

The charger arrived and the only fitting instructions was a copy of a July 2005 Practical Caravan page detailing a battery charger upgrade.

The article didn't mention that the charger leads came with different wiring or tell you what the wiring was. The 230V lead has a thick red and yellow wire, with a thick black wire and a thin grey wire. From looking at the charger unit, the red and yellow is live, the black neutral and the grey earth, (I think!)

The 12V DC wire from the charger is a standard blue, brown and yellow and green and this should connect to a van plug connector that has a red wire in one connector and a black wire together with a white and brown wire in another connector.

Once wired up, the on board trip switches activate as do the house electrics.

With the charger unconnected, I can get mains power and when the battery is connected battery and mains power. I only get voltage showing on the meter when the battery is connected though.

The company's 'technical people' weren't in when I phoned today and I'm kind of stuck now unless anyone could suggest where I've gone wrong?

thanks,

Ken

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
I sincerely hope you have not wired up the charger as you said. The thick red and black wires are probably the 12v and return (not 240v). The thin grey wire could be a 'voltage sensing' line.

Your "12V DC wire from the charger is a standard blue, brown and yellow and green" I suggest this is the 240v input, as in normal domestic appliances. "and this should connect to a van plug connector that has a red wire in one connector and a black wire together with a white and brown wire in another connector" Perhaps the thick red, black, and thinner grey mentioned above would connect to these red, black and white/brown?

No wonder why the onboard and house switches trip.

If you are not sure of electrical connections the I strongly suggest you consult a professional. It may save your life.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
I sincerely hope you have not wired up the charger as you said. The thick red and black wires are probably the 12v and return (not 240v). The thin grey wire could be a 'voltage sensing' line.

Your "12V DC wire from the charger is a standard blue, brown and yellow and green" I suggest this is the 240v input, as in normal domestic appliances. "and this should connect to a van plug connector that has a red wire in one connector and a black wire together with a white and brown wire in another connector" Perhaps the thick red, black, and thinner grey mentioned above would connect to these red, black and white/brown?

If you are not sure of electrical connections the I strongly suggest you consult a professional. It may save your life.
Hi

thanks ever so much for your advice and the much needed warning!

I've swapped the wires and hey presto!

It works!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Kenneth

Woodlands Camper is spot on. I have the NE143 wiring instructions in front of me now. I quote "The grey wire is supervisory power on and need not be connected if there is no supervisory system available" - would be willing to scan and e-mail instructions on receipt of your e-mail address via Mod.

I seem to remember there is a fuse inside the unit possible on the 12v (output) side.

John E.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts