urgent warning ********

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
can al please be aware and spread the word that the E bay and paypal scammers are now targetting sites like this.
i have todayreceived a request for more information regarding my coachman caravan that is for sale on practical caravan, the request was sent through practical caravan and at first appeared to be genuine untill i realised the 2english2 was not the best, i replied with basic details and this morning i have had an e-mail back, this is what it said :
"davbut1@googlemail.com
Thanks for your mail. i would be glad to pay for it as soon as possible though i will not be available to come for an inspection due to my flexible schedule. I will be paying you with my PayPal account because it's attached to my bank account and its safe and very secure way to make payment online. If my mode of payment is accepted kindly email me with the information below to proceed with the payment.

1) The pictures
2) What is the condition?
3) Are you the Original Owner?
4) Your PayPal Email Address
5) Your Picked Up Location Address

Get back to me with your address so i can forward to the shipping company to schedule an appointment with you for pick up. I have a private pick up agent that will come for the pick up after payments has been made. And if you don't have a PayPal account, you can easily go to www.paypal.com and sign up. its very easy. I await your reply asap.."
obviousley alarm bells started to ring immediately and a quick search shows this e-mail address linked to various scams mostly involving cars and mobile phones but it appears now that caravans are being targeted. please make any person you know who is selling a caravan aware of this scam artist.
could the mods please also bring this e-mail address to the attention of who ever needs to know regarding spamming on the site "davbut1@googlemail.com"

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Gary
I think that the potential scammer might have seen your advert on the Caravan Finder which is not connected to this Practical Caravan website other than being run by the same company.
I'll forward this information to Haymarket so that they can take appropriate action but the chances are that somebody saw your advert from browsing the adverts so unfortunately there will be no trace of these people on any Haymarket database.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
PayPal is not as safe as many think.
My son got scammed.
He sold some goods on e-bay and took payment by PP. The buyer alleged the goods never arrived so without warning PP took the money back from my son's account.He made the mistake of relying on the Royal Mail without RMs Insurance cover. We reckon the goods did arrive and the purchaser was a con artist.
It seems PP can claw back a payment whenever they want.
smiley-frown.gif

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
hi parksey, this is a copy of the originating e-mail i received, i agree it could just be a made up advert esspecially since it has a "stock" number which i have not issued. the guy is still trying to get my address now despite me making it quite clear i suspect him of being a scammer, persistant thiefing swine he is, ive e-mailed google and also paypal with his details.

"The following details have been submitted from the Practical Caravan website
Stock Reference: 00057768
Model: Coachman VIP 530/4
Price: 10000

Name: David Butt
Preferred Method of Contact: Email
Email Address: davbut1@gmail.com
Telephone: +447024084020
Comments: Hello, I'm writing in respond to your advert,and I'm pleased to informed you about my interest in purchasing it,and i will like to know the present condition and also the current pics(do you still have it available)and also re-affirming your asking price. Hoping to hear from you soon.Do get back to me with your personal Email .. David"

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I passed the information to the technical department at Haymarket Gary.
The problem with selling anything online is that the advert can be accessed by anyone and Haymarket are considering adding a sellers guide to warn people about this sort of thing.
As a matter of interest which internet scan revealed that this person is a potential thief?

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Dustydog said:
My son got scammed.

I've used PayPal for years DD with no problems. I only use it for paying though. If I ever sell on eBay I only accept cheques. Apart from the fact you might get fiddled you have to pay a commission to PayPal if selling but not when buying.

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
That's exactly the same as if you were a merchant taking Credit cards for payment, except PayPal gives 60 days for a 'chargeback' whereas it's 6 months for a credit card.
Dustydog said:
My son got scammed.
He sold some goods on e-bay and took payment by PP. The buyer alleged the goods never arrived so without warning PP took the money back from my son's account.He made the mistake of relying on the Royal Mail without RMs Insurance cover. We reckon the goods did arrive and the purchaser was a con artist.
It seems PP can claw back a payment whenever they want.
smiley-frown.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts