Using shower area as extra storage

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
Can't remember where I seen this, but some people have placed extended curtain rod in the shower as extra T-Shirt / Jumper / Coat hangers

Which I think is a pretty good idea, and wonder if any more ideas for using the shower area as a storage area, until we go off grid and need it.

Not sure how much weight you would get away with, and presume as the side walls are plastic, you can't extend them too far.

I was thinking of blanking off the shower until we actually think about using it, maybe that would be slight over kill :p

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
We actually have no room to hang properly Towels if a few of us have been for a shower.

So a couple of rods to allow this would be great too

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Changing the use with different fittings will change the weight. Any extra weight added will eat into the loading allowance so probably best avoided and it would reduce the resale value in most cases. Frankly if you do not use it my feeling is you should live with it. We often put a bin bag in it and put the dirty washing in.
Our shower does have a hanging rail across the top which helps with towels and wet clothes, but here are only two of us, so capacity is not a great problem problem. You can hang coat hangers on it to get extra capacity.

Reactions: Dustydog
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I echo Raywoods concern here, Saxo you have on a number of occasions indicated almost a desire to max out the loading of your caravan, You have already had the MTPLM extended, and I guess you are already eating into that margin.

I am of the opinion based on years of towing a wide range of caravans and trailers (for work) that caravanners should seek to minimise the weight of the trailer to maximise the tow vehicles ability to maintain control of the trailer.

Caravans by their very nature are not "good" trailers. their mass is distributed along the the chassis and Center of Gravity is at some elevation above the chassis all of which makes the dynamics of towing a significantly bit more difficult than well ordered goods trailer.

Hanging rails and I assume clothing are both adding mass and raising the COG further all of which is counter to good advice.

Please be very careful, as this rush towards the MTPLM figure might very quickly turn round and bite you.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Assuming you're talking about hanging clothes etc when actually on site any additions to payload are going to be minimal, but shower enclosures tend to be quite flimsy and you don't want to be drilling holes/screwing things through the wall in there. I don't know what the layout of your Coachman is like, but in the past we used an extendable shower curtain pole in the bathroom (between the walls) just to hang wet towels etc on when it was cold/wet outside, its rubber ends did leave a mark on the walls but this was easily cleaned off. In fact it escapes me why we stopped using one!

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
I have a rail in the shower which I assume was standard fit. As well as hanging wet coats, towels etc, I've started hanging the truma water pump/hose from it when not on site. I used to store it in the sink but got fed up with wrestling it into shape when I wanted to use it, now it wants to stay straight (rather than curled in a circle) so drops straight to the bottom of the aquaroll.

Maybe storing the front seat cushions in there when traveling would be an easy way to redistribute load if you need to reduce nose weight?

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
We aren't going to travel with the clothes etc in the shower,

This is merely to hang up clothes when at site, then take everything down before we move, like a temp storage cupboard for clothes in a way.

Reactions: PTA and ProfJohnL
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We always use our own shower no matter whether on a full blown site or a CL. After all you paid for it, so use it. LOL!

BTW many years ago I used the shower on a CC site and within days I noticed that I had picked up a fungi. It took over 2 years to get rid of it so always wash the site shower floor before using it.

Reactions: PTA and Saxo Appeal
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We always use our own shower no matter whether on a full blown site or a CL. After all you paid for it, so use it. LOL!

BTW many years ago I used the shower on a CC site and within days I noticed that I had picked up a fungi. It took over 2 years to get rid of it so always wash the site shower floor before using it.
The natural version of Adblue is reputed to have good anti fungal and anti bacterial properties. :eek:

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site

I always wear sandals in public showers for this very reason.

Reactions: Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I always wear sandals in public showers for this very reason.
My excuse was that we had not used a CAMC site in many years and were trying out a new caravan and totally forgot.
A sensible approach. Pity some users don’t swab out the shower on completion to help reduce the possible infection.
I even swab out the shower at home as a matter of habit. (y) :)

Jun 10, 2024
Visit site
Our coachman has a large bathroom space with full size shower. We’ve stayed on 1 club site so far and going to another this month, but we use our shower all the time. We have an awning and take the collapsable clothes airer which has proved to be invaluable. We use rubber coated s hooks to hang coats from the awning rails.

Reactions: Buckman

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts