Using sodium percarbonate in toilet

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Apparently this is the active ingredient used in some chemicals for caravan toilets? Has any one used it in its "raw" form i.e. mixed a few teaspoons with water to make a solution and then added it to the toilet instead of using the normal chemicals? Could save you a fortune annually! This article is for the Australian market, but should apply here. https://rvbooks.com.au/napisan-and-look-a-likes-safe-for-septic-tanks-professors-view/

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Looks an interesting option. I know some have reported using laundry bio tablets from Aldi which they say work out cheaper than proprietary chemicals, and do the job. When I next visit a supermarket in 2022 I will look up Napisan :giggle:

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Apparently this is the active ingredient used in chemicals used for caravan toilets? Has any one used it in its "raw" form i.e. mixed a few teaspoons with water to make a solution and then added it to the toilet instead of using the normal chemicals? Could save you a fortune annually! This article is for the Australian market, but should apply here. https://rvbooks.com.au/napisan-and-look-a-likes-safe-for-septic-tanks-professors-view/
i have not use it but it looks interesting worth looking into (Napisan) and it could save you a lot per year :giggle:

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Why not use it in its pure form as sodium percarbonate as it is safe for septic tanks? Just mix 2 teaspoons with 1 litre of water. At about £6.50 for a kg it will last a very long time if only used for the caravan toilet. However you can use it in place of Varnish to remove stains.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Looks an interesting option. I know some have reported using laundry bio tablets from Aldi which they say work out cheaper than proprietary chemicals, and do the job. When I next visit a supermarket in 2022 I will look up Napisan :giggle:

Any cheap bio laundry liquid/tablet will work and is safe for any sewage system as that's where it goes in normal use - you'll need to experiment with concentration to suit your tolerance level.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Any cheap bio laundry liquid/tablet will work and is safe for any sewage system as that's where it goes in normal use - you'll need to experiment with concentration to suit your tolerance level.
We have previously tried the LIDL laundry tablets, but the lingering smell stopped us using them. Don't really have that issue with Dometic tablets, but not prepared to pay £13 for 16 tablets. We bought the last lot of Dometic when it was on special at the CMC BOGOF deal about 2 - 3 years ago. They are coming to an end so looking for replacement additive.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Just go and check your washing powder boxes. Even my wife knew what it was althougy I didn't when I first read about it. LOL!

Well, I was not asking about washing powder, it was the statement about "chemicals used for caravan toilets" that I was trying to confirm.

With "washing powders", or in my case bio washing liquid it is specifically the biological ingredient, an enzyme pack, rather than oxidant that does what I seek.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Well, I was not asking about washing powder, it was the statement about "chemicals used for caravan toilets" that I was trying to confirm.

With "washing powders", or in my case bio washing liquid it is specifically the biological ingredient, an enzyme pack, rather than oxidant that does what I seek.
Sorry misunderstood you. Yes it was a question which is why I used "Apparently" and also a question mark. I also left out the word "some".

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts