Vauxhall Vivaro 2700

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Hi sorry bout not answering before but been having problems ie: the internet explorer 9 as said in the forum in other topics.
If this works what I was trying to ask is, we have a Vauxhall Vivaro 2700 but a new caravan that I would like has a weight of 1600kg. Would our vivaro pull the 1600kgs caravan?

Cheers
Lin

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
Hi Lin,
Like all things in life, the answer is "it depends". There are a number of questions & considerations:
  • How old is your Vivaro? - if it's 2007 or newer, then you will have the "facelift" model, which although looking very similar to the older one, have more powerful engines & an improved gearbox - some of the older ones had gearbox problems with high mileage.
  • Exactly which model do you have? Kerbweights for the 2700 SWB vary from 1670Kg to 1778Kg based on model & engine size.
All Vivaros are rated by Vauxhall as being capable of towing up to 2,000Kg. We pull a 1,300Kg caravan with the 115PS engine & we have no problems. It will pull quite happily on the level in 6th gear from an indicated 52/53mph up-over. We have friends with both the 90PS & the 146PS engines, the 146PS tows like a dream - the 90PS struggles sometimes.

Within limits, I would be less concerned about going over the 85% guideline towing with a commercial vehicle - the airflow over the van & then caravan is very different to that when towing with a car. You will also probably be carrying a much heavier load inside the tug - we have steel cages fitted for transporting dogs, Although they don't look it, they are actully quite heavy.

The one area where we struggled to get good information was for the max nose weight we could tow with. Vauxhall don't publish this - they just say that take the nose weight into consideration with regard to the rear axel loading. The tow bar we had fitted is limited to 80Kg, so that is what we use as our max.

Also be aware of the driving licensing considerations - you will definitely be well over the 3,500Kg limit, so will need B+E license extension or a pre-1997 license.

If there's anything else you need to know, just ask.

Cheers,
Jim

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
One other thing I forgot to mention - depeding on the manufacturer, towing with a commercial vehicle can invalidate your caravan warranty - I know Swift have a disclaimer in their's. When we bought our 2007 Charisma 230 almost 2 years ago, the dealer didn't have the paperwork from the 1st owner, so the remaining manufacturer's warranty couldn't be transferred to us, so we didn't have a problem. Instead we got a 2 year warranty from the dealer which was through the AA. They gave us a letter stating that towing with the Vivaro wouldn't be a problem.

Cheers,
Jim

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Hi Jim
Thanks for all the info it was very helpful. Our vivaro is 2002 model the engine size is 1.9. At the moment we tow a Compass Omega 524 with a weight of 1560kg's. The caravan I like is a Coachman Amara fixed bed end bathroom with a weight of 1600kg's as I said. Hubby;s driving license is from 1974 and he has over 20 years experience towing a caravan. At the moment we put everything in the vivaro ie, awning, recliners, windbreak, water barrels etc. eventually the vivaro will be carrying a miniature 4" scale traction engine so then some things will to be carried in the vivaro.

Anyway we'll see what happens. Thanks again!

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Hi Jim
Thanks for all the info it was very helpful. Our vivaro is 2002 model the engine size is 1.9. At the moment we tow a Compass Omega 524 with a weight of 1560kg's. The caravan I like is a Coachman Amara fixed bed end bathroom with a weight of 1600kg's as I said. Hubby;s driving license is from 1974 and he has over 20 years experience towing a caravan. At the moment we put everything in the vivaro ie, awning, recliners, windbreak, water barrels etc. eventually the vivaro will be carrying a miniature 4" scale traction engine so then some things will to be carried in the vivaro.

Anyway we'll see what happens. Thanks again!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts