Vauxhall Zafira 2.2 13 pin electrics - dealer will not configure OEM dedicated wiring kit!

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi. I have just fitted a Westfalia towbar to our Vauxhall Zafira 2.2 Direct and went for the new 13 pin dedicated wiring kit from TowEquipe (made by Right Connections in UK). The wiring kit alone was £150 and uses the CAN BUS sockets to make it easier to fit. However, in the fitting instructions it advises you have your Vauxhall dealer configure the system for 'Trailer operation' to acknowledge it and, I assume, to have a visual warning on the dashboard that the indicator lights are working as there is no audible alarm (as with the old 12N/12S system). My local dealer say they cannot configure the system as it is not a GM wiring loom! They are adamant that they will not do it even though I have explained that I am effectively illegal without having a visual or audible indicator warning light. Has anyone had similar experience? Does anyone know how I can get the system recognised? The Dealer quoted £1100 to fit the GM towbar and 13Pin electrics! Westfalia make the GM towbar so I fitted it myself for £250.

Beware !! For info, the 2008+ model Zafira and Astra has an electrical centre at the rear of the car where all the CAN BUS electrical centre is housed. If you want the fridge part of the system you have to run the cable from the rear of the car to the battery in the engine bay at the front. It is a horrible job and I have had to resort to leaving it off because i cannot see a safe way through the bulkhead - very annoying!

For info, the 2.2 petrol tows well but I scrape 21mpg towing a 1100kg Sprite. Previous Honda CRV diesel only did 26mpg mind and was three times the price to service and ate tyres at an alarming rate even after having alignment checked frequently.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I can't comment on the configuration issue, but I ran a lead from the towbar socket to the battery underneath the car alongside the longitudinals and using a flexible conduit for added protection.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jonestell,
I can understand your Vauxhall dealers position regarding configuring the system, If they did not supply and fit why should they take any responsibility for it in the futre when the system may be implicated and any fault or failure.
The garage's reticence may be due to the fact that the system was fitted as a DIY project, and as they do not know or have evidence of your competence, they may be wary that you may have made a mistake and compromised or damaged the cars systems.
In essence it underlines the complexity of modern car systems, and how it is likely the garages can follow manufactures instructions to fit, but don't necesaritly uderstand the detail electronics and programming aspects of the systems.
I suggest you contact your towbar supplier and ask them to tell you where/which dealers are prepared to configure the sytems they supply. If they can't or won't tell you then remove the entire system and return it under complaint as not being fit for purpose. In particular that it cannot be configured without transgressing the car manufactures guarantee. You can expect a full refund.

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
Silly question time. Have you tried the caravan with a indicator bulb out?
I have a Zafira and I was not getting the trailer light up on the dash as per the handbook, dealer said it did not use the light just that the indicator light would flash faster, I tried it and they were right! so I have got a warning system, maybe yours might be the same?
Regarding the fridge my towbar was factory fitted and did not have the fridge live even after I requested it before I bought the car, Vauxhall sorted it but they have fitted a Relay in the rear of the car not a cable right to the battery and this is on a 2008 model.
I wonder if that is possible for you?

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
There is no such thing as a GM towbar or loom. These towbars are manufactured by companies with probably no connection to GM and are fitted by their approved towbar fitters which could be the same company that you use except that you will be charged triple by the dealer! Rip off Britain at work again!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Robin,
With reference to your last post you say your towbar was "Factory Fitted". I am pretty certain Vauxhall(Opel) do not fit towbars at the factory - that is a Dealer option.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
jonestell said:
Hi. I have just fitted a Westfalia towbar to our Vauxhall Zafira 2.2 Direct and went for the new 13 pin dedicated wiring kit from TowEquipe (made by Right Connections in UK). The wiring kit alone was £150 and uses the CAN BUS sockets to make it easier to fit. However, in the fitting instructions it advises you have your Vauxhall dealer configure the system for 'Trailer operation' to acknowledge it and, I assume, to have a visual warning on the dashboard that the indicator lights are working as there is no audible alarm (as with the old 12N/12S system). My local dealer say they cannot configure the system as it is not a GM wiring loom! They are adamant that they will not do it even though I have explained that I am effectively illegal without having a visual or audible indicator warning light. Has anyone had similar experience? Does anyone know how I can get the system recognised? The Dealer quoted £1100 to fit the GM towbar and 13Pin electrics! Westfalia make the GM towbar so I fitted it myself for £250.

Beware !! For info, the 2008+ model Zafira and Astra has an electrical centre at the rear of the car where all the CAN BUS electrical centre is housed. If you want the fridge part of the system you have to run the cable from the rear of the car to the battery in the engine bay at the front. It is a horrible job and I have had to resort to leaving it off because i cannot see a safe way through the bulkhead - very annoying!

For info, the 2.2 petrol tows well but I scrape 21mpg towing a 1100kg Sprite. Previous Honda CRV diesel only did 26mpg mind and was three times the price to service and ate tyres at an alarming rate even after having alignment checked frequently.
I have a Nissan specific loom fitted professionally.
No mods were needed to the car by the Nissan dealer.
Phone your local fitter up and ask them, they will have fitted electrics to lots of vauxhalls.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Prof John L said:
Hello Robin,
With reference to your last post you say your towbar was "Factory Fitted". I am pretty certain Vauxhall(Opel) do not fit towbars at the factory - that is a Dealer option.
Vauxhall/Opel towbars are fitted in the factory except for some low volume models such as the Agila. This is a concession to those countries where the fitment of a towbar requires such to be entered into the vehicle log book as a technical modification to the vehicle. It saves the dealer or customer from having to go through the administrative process of having the car 'MOT'd' again and the log book changed to reflect the vehicle length and vehicle weight changes.
In the case of factory fitted towbars, the appropriate wiring will also have been fitted and tested in the factory, except that, as a cost saving measure, the lead for the fridge is not included because the demand for that is too low.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts