Vehicle alarm and immobilisers.

BML

Dec 30, 2004
Visit site
Each year when I reinsure my camper I'm asked if I have a Vehicle alarm and immobiliser and I simply don't know so I put NO. Yesterday I met yet another person who told me about a mate who had their camper stolen so I want to fit both a vehicle alarm and immobiliser. Can any one give me information about these devices. Many years ago I had a car with a secret device that disconnected the battery I wonder if they are still about?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
IMHO. Retro fitting alarms and/immobilisers to a Thatcham standard acceptable by insurance companies will be expensive and probably out of the DIY spectrum.

Can you not check your vans specs to see if it has them?

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Each year when I reinsure my camper I'm asked if I have a Vehicle alarm and immobiliser and I simply don't know so I put NO. Yesterday I met yet another person who told me about a mate who had their camper stolen so I want to fit both a vehicle alarm and immobiliser. Can any one give me information about these devices. Many years ago I had a car with a secret device that disconnected the battery I wonder if they are still about?

What year and make is your wagon? Immobiliser plus alarms have been fitted now since at least 1994 when I first had one in a Mondeo. Every vehicle since then has been fitted with one. Don’t you have an owners manual. The section on security is generally the biggest chapter and the most boring. You can often download manuals too. The maker orca dealership should know.

It’s interesting that a recent news report showed a Range Rover Sport being “ exported” in a shipping container. It had Ben stolen by thieves able to hack into its systems and not by trying to con your remote keys into giving the unlock code. Police advice is to fit a robust circular steering wheel lock. 🤞

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
In our area, two weeks ago a RangeRover, " Overfinch" was stolen, those cars have seriously clever Security. But it was gone in less than 10 minutes, .
Straight into a container and probably off to the West African area

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts