Very quiet at Carnon Downs

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We are into our second week at Carnon Downs,usually come week before and week after the August Bank Holiday, never seen it so quiet,we are in a field of 12 service pitches, 2 have seasonal on them only one other pitch apart from us is occupied,rest of site is similar, never seen it like this. Even when out and about car parks are not often full, so wonder if this is the start of decline for caravanning in Cornwall.Admittedly the site is more expensive since CAMC took it over, and is a lot more expensive than some other local sites. Maybe the cost of fuel and dire warnings in the media put some people off too,be a shame for the local economy,or is it a taste of what is to come for us all? Did have to buy a new mobile after mine was dunked in the sea, so that was money spent locally,every liile helps.

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
We are into our second week at Carnon Downs,usually come week before and week after the August Bank Holiday, never seen it so quiet,we are in a field of 12 service pitches, 2 have seasonal on them only one other pitch apart from us is occupied,rest of site is similar, never seen it like this. Even when out and about car parks are not often full, so wonder if this is the start of decline for caravanning in Cornwall.Admittedly the site is more expensive since CAMC took it over, and is a lot more expensive than some other local sites. Maybe the cost of fuel and dire warnings in the media put some people off too,be a shame for the local economy,or is it a taste of what is to come for us all? Did have to buy a new mobile after mine was dunked in the sea, so that was money spent locally,every liile helps.
From a selfish point of view, that's good - we're heading down to Devon at the weekend and then on to Cornwall, a CL not far from Carnon Downs - the quieter the better as far as we're concerned.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I think that already some people are beginning to feel financially squeezed, and with the price of fuel/sites are looking at places that are not such a long drive. Whilst it does feature in the popular media the predictions in FT, Bloomberg, IFS etc don’t make for happy reading. Within the G7 UK not doing at all well. Further interest rates are coming, the pound has fallen further this week, and international investors in gilts have pushed 10 year rates to nearly 3%.Balance of payment deficit very large and growing. On top of which the cost of energy is predicted to stay high for several years to come. If Europe can wean itself off of Russian gas this next winter it will still pay more for wherever supplies come from. Until the link between gas and electric is detached electric prices will stay high.

So however it is presented the financial outlook doesn’t look good, and I doubt any government has the wherewithal to do other than soften some of the the blows.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I am another the quieter the better but it not good for the site

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
CAMC Chapel Lane Wythall very busy yesterday as was the next door Transport Museum. Well worth a visit and inclusive vintage old bus rides

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
We are into our second week at Carnon Downs,, never seen it so quiet,

It was an expensive site even before the Caravan Club took it over. For the last two years I've spent a week close to it on a C&CC CS. A nice quiet site; close to the A39: 15amp electric to every pitch with a small toilet and shower room on site - all for £15 per night during August.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We left yesterday due to weather, site was even quieter by then, it is quite expensive by local standards, and even more so since club took over, seems some of the regulars have not been happy since the club took over and voted with their feet, the site has a lot going for it , large service pitches and good shower /toilet blocks, but so do other sites, can't see us going there next year, just fancy a change.

Reactions: Hutch
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
CAMC Chapel Lane Wythall very busy yesterday as was the next door Transport Museum. Well worth a visit and inclusive vintage old bus rides
Just been looking at a holiday cottage in Wythall then we can have a look at this Transport Museum and look at the sights as well (y)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts