vets near dunkirk

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Hi can anyone recommend a good vets near the port of Dunkirk, first trip abroad with pooch in June, so a novice. All advise welcome.
Many thanks

Kev Rev

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi,
We haven't gone through Dunkirk, preferring to use the tunnel when the dogs are with us, but you will need to stop a while in the area, so why not ask the campsite to arrange this for you? They will be happy to help. Alternatively, if you are motoring up from elsewhere, you have up to 5 days before you travel, so you could arrange to see a vet at your final stop. Again, your campsite should be able to assist.

Jo

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
We've travelled via Dunkirk for many years now, using Camping Le Chaumiere, in Buysschere near St Omer to stay, and Dr. Dandifoss in St Omer as our vet. The site is lovely, although some think the owner a little irascible, but underneath the brusqueness is a heart of pure gold (and the food is superb!), and we find the vet friendly and efficient. The site will make all the arrangements for you too.

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
thank you so much that's a big help, will certainly be contacting site you recommended. could you give me a rough idea how much the cost is?

thanks again

kev revell

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
thank you Joanne to both your reply's they have been most helpful. I would not have thought of asking the campsite for help in sourcing a vet. the campsite at trebes sounds wonderful.
Many Thanks

kev revell

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi
Another possibility is stay Camping Chateau du Gandspette.

http://www.chateau-gandspette.com/campsite-france-nord-pas-de-calais.html
There is an English speaking vet within walking distance of the campsite and it is an easy drive to the ferry at Dunkerque. We used this site and vet several times when Max our collie was alive.

We too have used the vet in St Omer arranged through Camping Chaumiere. I think the wife of the campsite owner works for the vet and will make all arrangements. St Omer is a few miles from the campsite. However I would not recommend that campsite. We found the male owner rude and difficult. We stayed both on our outward and return journey and both times found him difficut and would NEVER stay there again.

In addition Chateau du Gandspette is an interesting area with a couple of supermarkets, including one with a petrol station in the village. Camping Chaumiere is on the other hand rather remotely located in a tiny village with no shops. Chateau Gandpette is much bigger site and a pleasant one with a swimming pool, restaurant and other amenities.

I hope this helps.
Tim

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
BigTim said:
Hi
Another possibility is stay Camping Chateau du Gandspette.

http://www.chateau-gandspette.com/campsite-france-nord-pas-de-calais.html
There is an English speaking vet within walking distance of the campsite and it is an easy drive to the ferry at Dunkerque. We used this site and vet several times when Max our collie was alive.

We too have used the vet in St Omer arranged through Camping Chaumiere. I think the wife of the campsite owner works for the vet and will make all arrangements. St Omer is a few miles from the campsite. However I would not recommend that campsite. We found the male owner rude and difficult. We stayed both on our outward and return journey and both times found him difficut and would NEVER stay there again.

In addition Chateau du Gandspette is an interesting area with a couple of supermarkets, including one with a petrol station in the village. Camping Chaumiere is on the other hand rather remotely located in a tiny village with no shops. Chateau Gandpette is much bigger site and a pleasant one with a swimming pool, restaurant and other amenities.

I hope this helps.
Tim
Tim, I'd be interested to know when you used le Chaumier, as the owner, Guy Barberry did struggle with a major illness, which did make him more irascible than usual! Having used the site for ten or more years, twice a year, and can tell you that he can be the most charming man, but he will not suffer fools.
Just as an example of his generosity: my Range Rover suffered a major calamity whilst on his site, and had to be relayed home, at the start of our week-long stay. He would not hear of going home with the car, insisting that at the end of the holiday, he would personally tow our caravan home for us.
During the week, he also took my wife shopping, and took our two dogs to the vet, as of course we had no car. There have many such instances over the years. I should add that probably 70% of his business is repeat.
Does this sound like a man who is "rude and difficult"?
I respect your right to your opinion, but Hey ho, we can't please all of the people.

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Tim
We are booked in to Chateau Gandpette, been there before without pooch so we do know its a very good campsite, also booked appointment with nearby vet for a few days before we come home.
I also read a few bad reviews about the campsite near St Omer and decided not to use that one.
Many Thanks
Karen Revell

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts