VIN Number

Apr 30, 2020
Visit site
I recently looked at a Swift Freestyle 2013 I took the vin from the windows because I could not read properly on chassis.
I went to run a CRIS check with the number and nothing showed up and the said to call them.
Due to current situation the are not available by phone or email. Can anyone tell me if this model is fitted with CHIP if so is it possible for me to get it read with scanner or is it something that’s hidden.
I have never owned a caravan so appreciate your feedback. Thx

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Maybe if a second or subsequent owner did not bother to pay and re-register it. Have any documents such as service sheets, service log , build documents etc got it written down? Most of those should have it written. The Owners Manual should say if it has a chip, but not where it is located. I think my makers label in front locker has vin number on it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Was the caravan at a dealers of a private address? If it was at a dealers then ask the dealer for clarification as to the caravans history.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
would be suspicious. All caravans of that age should have a vin number and if it is missing or not clear I would walk away. There are plenty of similar models out there so why take a risk.
If you are still interested you might get a reply from Swift if you e mail them as to whether the number tallies with the model.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The OP didn’t say it did not have a VIN number. It’s windows were marked but he couldn’t easily read the chassis stamped VIN. Checking Cris didn’t show a match to the window VIN but if it’s not registered by a second or subsequent owner CRIS won’t show up when you search. It’s not an insurmountable problem to conduct other checks etc before making a decision. But a dealer should be able to resolve it’s should a private seller.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I do appreciate what is said. If the number on the windows cannot be read that would make me suspicious. I would at least look very carefully at the plate to see if that has been altered and unless I was 100% satisfied with that and other points, the lack of the CRIS registration would put me off. Without absolute proof of ownership it would be a risky purchase.
If the current owner had not registered it this shows a lack of care, which in itself could be a warning sign. You also need an HPI check as this should show up any HP outstanding and if any it would mean the caravan was not the sellers to sell.

Reactions: otherclive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts