Vintage novice🙂

Apr 6, 2021
Visit site
Hi. I've caravanned for years as a couple, but am now facing going solo, and need some(lots!) of advice!
I'm about to change my car, and I need to choose a petrol tow car. Diesel isn't really a good choice, as I do lots of short town journeys. But am really struggling for good advice regarding a car. I haven't bought a van yet...but am looking at small lightweight ones, such as a Freedom/Elddis Xplore/Lunar Ariva.
I'm female, small and weedy, and too close to 60🤣. But determined to get back in a van....I'm camping at present, which is great - until it rains!
Any advice will be much appreciated. Thank you so much.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to the forum Debs, Your asking for information on a small but complex thing, We met a young lad that bought a new but lightweight caravan, small and compact which he thought his 3 year old mini would tow. It was only after buying the van, he found the car was too light for the van. And had to change the car.
I think find the caravan you like then choose the car after you know the maximum weight of the caravan .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi. I've caravanned for years as a couple, but am now facing going solo, and need some(lots!) of advice!
I'm about to change my car, and I need to choose a petrol tow car. Diesel isn't really a good choice, as I do lots of short town journeys. But am really struggling for good advice regarding a car. I haven't bought a van yet...but am looking at small lightweight ones, such as a Freedom/Elddis Xplore/Lunar Ariva.
I'm female, small and weedy, and too close to 60🤣. But determined to get back in a van....I'm camping at present, which is great - until it rains!
Any advice will be much appreciated. Thank you so much.

If you are a member of either club they do an outfit matching service. The CCC one allows you to insert your chosen caravan details and it then offers a selection of possible cars. And vice versa. Hiwver, just a slight warning once you have narrowed down the search it’s always best then to actually check the caravan and car if interest. The caravan will have its weight plate giving MTPLM, the car will have its V5 giving braked trailer towing limit, it will also have the Owners Manual along with its own weight plate. So take it carefully and don’t hesitate to ask.

Have you considered the two continental lightweight but good payload caravans. They are incredibly well made and tow beautifully. Eriba and Trigano. I had a Trigano Silver 420. (See below)

WP_20160916_12_33_50_Pro copy.jpg

Reactions: arob.wk
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We have pulled one these with a small car might be suitable
Kip Kompakt 300

Attachments

• 1343996206.jpg
    1343996206.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 5
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
If you are a member of either club they do an outfit matching service. The CCC one allows you to insert your chosen caravan details and it then offers a selection of possible cars. And vice versa. Hiwver, just a slight warning once you have narrowed down the search it’s always best then to actually check the caravan and car if interest. The caravan will have its weight plate giving MTPLM, the car will have its V5 giving braked trailer towing limit, it will also have the Owners Manual along with its own weight plate. So take it carefully and don’t hesitate to ask.

Have you considered the two continental lightweight but good payload caravans. They are incredibly well made and tow beautifully. Eriba and Trigano. I had a Trigano Silver 420. (See below)

View attachment 1377
looks a nice setup

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. We have used a number of petrol powered cars over the years as I had a company car with no choice of model. They do manage quite well but cannot in most cases match the equivalent diesel. I would not worry provided it has enough power. We currently use a Mazda 6 with the higher of the two petrol engines and it manages fine. Basically towing requires power and what you need is this combined with a good torque figure. There are suitable cars in most makers range so possibly it is the budget that is the limiting factor. Possibly settling on the car first will enable you to draw up a shortlist of caravans you can tow.
The choice of caravan is really down to personal opinion on the layout and interior. The working parts are generally bought in from a very limited range of manufacturers, so making sure you have the ones you want is about all you can do there. The difference between makes is basically the body, interior colour scheme and the exact layout and level of comfort.
If you are looking at Freedom do watch the load allowance, as several have only 50 kg. If you fit a battery and two gas bottles that has more or less gone, so any with that limit are useless n my opinion. It might be possible to increase this, but if not I would not bother.
The pop tops and folders do make towing easier due to the reduced wind resistance, but they are very few and far between. They may take some finding but if you can get one it may be a good buy.
A rear view camera on the car is a major advantage if hitching on your own. It allows you to see the tow ball and reverse into position without help, so provided you can budget for this it is to me worthwhile.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts