VOSA on the prowl ... Tyre question

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
The tyres on my caravan are 7 years old. My caravan has not been used for 2 years and in that time and each previous winter the caravan for safetys sake has been stored on winter wheels with the tyres being deflated to 25psi.
Despite searching this forum and others I am not sure that changing your tyres at 7 years is in English law or is purely a recomendation?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
It's a recommendation, but a very sensible one. In fact some say 5 years old. Sunlight is a big killer of tyres. My tyres needed changing after the 3rd service from new. That is poor. But at around £220 for two money well sent in my opinion.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The tyres do need replacing. Not sure of your size but recently I bought two Hankook Vantra LT for £162 fitted and balanced. Mine were 4.5 years old. But at 60 psi I decided in favour of caution for the “ new season” rather than squeezing another six months out of them.

I noticed that since I last purchased tyres the choice of recognised brands had reduced. Plenty of budget Chinese ones from makes that could not be traced back. So based on tyres I’ve had before my preference was GT Radial Kargomax ST4000 or ST 6000. These are specific trailer tyres but not made now in my size 175/14C. There were lots of GT Radial Maxmiler Pro or X but again these are not featured in my size in GT Radials catalogue. So I contacted GT Radial as I didn’t want two tyres of a type that had gone out of production and might have already had a lot of time knocked off of their life. GTRadial came back and confirmed that the Maxmiler is still made but sales volumes are low and it was removed from the catalogue pending a decision on its future.

So as the Hankook Vantra is still in catalogue and widely available I opted for two of those which were less than five months old from date of manufacture. I decided not to change the Hankook spare as it carries no load, sits in a locker away from direct UV and get sprayed twice a year with Armoroul of Autoglym Vinyl and Rubber Care. The spare will be changed at 6 years old.

Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
My tyres were swapped at 3 y/o, the outer sidewall were fine but the hidden side were quite perished. These were the OEM from Swift.
Changed for Hankook’s last year as per Other Clive, not worth taking the chance for me.

Kev

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Our van recently had a service and they found a bulge on the hidden side(quite close to the rim).
Tyres are 5 years old so both are being changed 14th June.
Will now remember to crawl under and check tyres regularly both inside and out.

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Our van recently had a service and they found a bulge on the hidden side(quite close to the rim).
Tyres are 5 years old so both are being changed 14th June.
Will now remember to crawl under and check tyres regularly both inside and out.
It’s the little things like checking tyres by crawling under the van, regular torquing of the wheels, plus shuffling it back and forth at regular intervals that clearly endear us to the hobby🤫

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I think it's been reported on other forums that DVSA are going to be running spotchecks on caravans over the forthcoming Bank Holiday. The article here (https://www.nationalworld.com/lifes...afety-checks-on-caravans-and-trailers-3244657) might provide more clarity.

Thanks a useful link. DVSA tend to carry out checks most Bank Holidays but this year they may up the ante. I have no plans to venture out over the Bank Holiday. Even last Sunday the southbound Strensham services were packed and caravans/MHs were directed to the HGV parking areas, even though Strensham have one of the better outfit parking areas with extremely long bays taking two outfits. But of course one would need to reverse out if the front outfit hadn't moved on. My wife went over to the shops area and said the queues for the toilets were unbelievable due to SD restrictions.

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
As an ex HGV driver and operator I have had occasion to get involved with VOSA who to their credit are let us say 'enthusiastic' in their diligent approach to vehicle safety and adherance to regulations and the law and who, like the mother in law on her annual visit will find the one patch of dust that was missed. So I think 'prowl' is not too strong a word.
On the reverse side is the fact that Vosa have to sort out and clean up the carnage on our roads which at times must be quite a harrowing experience.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes I've been stopped twice in an 8 wheeler tipper lorry.
They went through my lorry "like a dose of salts".
Luckily on both occasions,everything was ok.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Been there too. They truly can be zealous in their inspections. Ive only been pulled twice, and on both occasions they cost me getting home on a Friday (due to hours, not defects). Friends of mine they are not. But If they get dangerous units off the road, then its something we have to live with, like Covid.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I would be quite happy to be pulled off although annoyed at our journey being delayed, but if the checks save even one life it will be worth it!

Jun 1, 2021
Visit site
I recently had 6 new tyres on the rv when checking before its mot in december I noticed 1 had a series of small cracks not far from the rim but they ran around the whole rim with gaps between so now it has all tyres dated 40/20 cost a pretty penny though and now before i use the caravan i bought i am doing the same again only 4 tyres this time and a lot cheaper than the rv tyres. After standing not being used gaining flat spots etc to me its worth it after all those bits of rubber keep you on the road and along with your brakes are what stop you when needed.
Maggie

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts