VW Golf GT TDI

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I tow with a mk4 130tdi and it goes like the proverbial off a shovel. Only time it comes out of 5th gear is roundabouts, and thats no joke. Its ideal for my van and a great tug.

Geordie

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Mk 5 is built just as well as the MK4 but handles better despite being a bigger heavier Car, being a Golf it will hold it's value incredibly well (just get rid of the bar when you come to sell it)

It's got to be one of the best "thinking mans" hot hatches around after all what else looks drives and does 60 mpg so well.

Regards MH

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Dai, if you are buying new take a look at the seat altea, its built on the very same platform as the golf has the 2.0 tdi rather than the 1.9 tdi giving 140 bhp and it was towcar of the year in its class. i think theire is a write up in last months which caravan that was glowing about the car so it got to be worth a look. i have an altea at the moment whilst my alhambra is in for some work and i can honestly say it is a very very nice and well built car although the one i have is only the 1.6 fsi engine, its absolutely huge inside considering its outside dimensions. the golf has the better name but the seat is built using exactely the same components so why pay more for the same car. one chap at work hit the nail on the head when a chap was boasting about how good his audi tt was, my colegue quickly pointed out that it was just a skoda fabia with a different body and a hugely inflated price.

Apr 17, 2005
Visit site
Hi Dai,

I tow an Elddis (MTPLM 1150Kg) with a Mk4 Golf estate TDI130, with no problems whatsoever. Moreover, it returns between 30 and 35 mpg towing, and an overall 54 mpg solo (no heavy traffic or heavy right boot.)

This has the same engine as the Mk4 GTI TDI130, and therefore (almost) exactly the same performance. If you do not need the 'street cred.' of the GTI, you can make a significant saving on insurance by going for the estate (group 8 vs group 15?), and improve your luggage capacity.

Hope this helps,

Trevor.

Oct 3, 2005
Visit site
Hi Dai,

I tow an Elddis (MTPLM 1150Kg) with a Mk4 Golf estate TDI130, with no problems whatsoever. Moreover, it returns between 30 and 35 mpg towing, and an overall 54 mpg solo (no heavy traffic or heavy right boot.)

This has the same engine as the Mk4 GTI TDI130, and therefore (almost) exactly the same performance. If you do not need the 'street cred.' of the GTI, you can make a significant saving on insurance by going for the estate (group 8 vs group 15?), and improve your luggage capacity.

Hope this helps,

Trevor.
Check the thread about the 4x4 octavia it is same as the golf/leon but got the second generation haldex clutch system and can be had for 16k new

Feb 9, 2006
Visit site
Dai, I test drove the 1.9Tdi and the 2.0 GT TDI a couple of weeks ago. The 2.0 ltrs a stormer (if you've tried it already you'll know this).But I would also like to know what its like to tow with. If you find out in the next few weeks let us know.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts