VW Tiguan review diary

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
He might like his - but our 2014 'Match' spec Tiguan (4 Motion) is without doubt the most unstable towcar I've ever owned!

Really - it's awful. I've had everything checked and rechecked on the car and the van (Bailey Olympus) - even to the point of swapping the PTC flange tow bar that was fitted shortly after we took delivery last May for a Westphalia removable bar ( I'd read other accounts of instability being traced to the PTC bar)

The van has been thoroughly checked - no bearing or chassis problems - I even replaced the Alko 3004 hitch with a brand new one (more because I found one at a bargain price and thought, 'why not')

It's had new Dunlop tyres fitted, and the wheels have been balanced - but on the only tow I've done so far this year (to a local weighbridge) it remained an utter pig of a car! - at anything above 50 it feels as if the van is going to flip over.

Seriously - it's always skittish when solo, and positively terrifying when towing.

I loathe it - and I have a decent history of new cars to compare it against. It could be something to do with the Alutech design profile, and that silly little UK A-frame certainly doesn't help.

Previously we towed German vans (with no ATC, but the usual long A-frame) and our last Geist (pulled by a Chevrolet Captiva with self levelling suspension) was a joy - nothing alarmed it, not even car transporters travelling at 70!

As for the Tiguan - if it got stolen and burned I'd dance around it in celebration.

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
I have just swapped my Tiguan 170ps SE for an Audi Q5 and I tow a Coachman Pastiche 520/4. Not a light caravan. I found the Tiguan an excellent towcar not only enough power but very stable and a great drive solo. I am still running in my Q5 but if it is as good as the Tig, I shall be very happy.

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
Beagler said:
I have just swapped my Tiguan 170ps SE for an Audi Q5 and I tow a Coachman Pastiche 520/4. Not a light caravan. I found the Tiguan an excellent towcar not only enough power but very stable and a great drive solo. I am still running in my Q5 but if it is as good as the Tig, I shall be very happy.

(Sighhhhh) I know, that's what everyone seems to say - well, *almost* everyone, I have read a few other complaints about Tiguan towing instability, but generally, people seem OK with them.

All I can say is, I have spent a fair amount of money trying to get the thing to tow properly - from replacing a 6 month old towbar, replacing a perfectly good AKS3004, adding Grayston suspension assistors, having the caravan checked and rechecked, greasing, lubricating, and servicing everything in sight, experimenting with tyre pressures and loading patterns - all to try get a brand new four wheel drive Tiguan to tow a 2011 caravan without making my palms sweat because it feels so unstable!

I documented all this ages ago on the 'mytiguan' forum. Frankly, I've lost the will to live over this hateful, spiteful, nasty little car. I can do no more to try and improve it.

When I say that I'd dance if scrotes stole it and burned it, I'm being perfectly serious. This time last year I was eagerly looking forward to delivery. Now, I wish the boat had sunk and the £$%^&*( thing had gone to bottom of the North Sea!

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
I am really sorry and surprised to hear that you've not been happy with your Tiguan. As you are probably aware, we have used several over the years at the Tow Car Awards, and without exception, they have all aquitted themselves very well indeed (a Class winner on at least one occasion). They were all towing Swift caravans, which of course were ideally ballasted, but stabilisers had been removed. Some of the manoeuvres that are carried out at MIRA are verging on the extreme, and certainly not things that I would ever wish to repeat on a public road. I wonder wheter you've hit the nail on the head and it's a strange anomoly with your particular car and caravan aerodynamics?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Helo Sosij.

When it comes to towing regardless of what others may think, it is the driver that has to have confidence and control over their outfit.

Clearly you have not had a good experience with your combination, yet this is very much at odds with the majority of opinions we hear about the Tiguan. That doesn't mean you're wrong, you can only report your own experiences.

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
NigelHutson said:
I am really sorry and surprised to hear that you've not been happy with your Tiguan. As you are probably aware, we have used several over the years at the Tow Car Awards, and without exception, they have all aquitted themselves very well indeed (a Class winner on at least one occasion). They were all towing Swift caravans, which of course were ideally ballasted, but stabilisers had been removed. Some of the manoeuvres that are carried out at MIRA are verging on the extreme, and certainly not things that I would ever wish to repeat on a public road. I wonder wheter you've hit the nail on the head and it's a strange anomoly with your particular car and caravan aerodynamics?

Hi, thanks for your interest.

I have read about other Alutech owners commenting on poor stability (with cars other than Tiguans) so perhaps it is something to do with certain combinations.

I know that other people find such things tedious (as I would myself) but, briefly, I have been towing various car/caravan combinations since the 1980's - some better than others.

In 2008 we bought a Chevrolet Captiva (Antara) to pull our Geist. No ATC, but it was a joy to tour with it - stable and totally unremarkable (in a good way)

Then we decided to have a break from caravanning, so we sold the Captiva and bought a VW Touran. I had a single 7-pin tow bar fitted so that I could use a trailer to move garden rubbish, etc.

Then we bought the Olympus from a private seller, and went to collect it in the Touran. It was remarkably easy to pull it (despite being only 1600cc Tdi) and it felt *reasonably* stable considering that the Touran only had a 1500kg kerbweight. As it only had a 7 pin plug the ATC was not active either, but we towed it 150 miles home without trouble, and subsequently used it a couple of times loaded - again, not wonderful, but acceptable if one kept below 60mph.

Then came the Tiguan - 2014 4-Motion Match 140ps - which I assumed would be wonderful. We duly had a PTC bar fitted at their factory (using a Jaeger wiring kit that meant the VW trailer stability programme was enabled in addition to the Alko atc.

Hitched up for our first trip, pulled away from our house, made a sharp L/H turn - and, THUD! , a bang as if we'd run over something on the road. Stopped, checked, couldn't see anything wrong, so continued on our way.

It felt awful!, really unstable. Stopped a couple of times to check, but couldn't see anything obviously amiss. Only had to go 35 miles, so plodded on - at less than 50mph.

No more bangs or thuds until the return trip when there was another almighty 'thud', this time after a sharp R/H turn. Caravan was unstable all the way home.

I thought the towbar must be loose, so went back to PTC who checked it and announced they couldn't find anything wrong. Of course, they were hardly likely to tell me if they had!.

I also went to my supplying dealer, who humoured me by checking the car on a ramp - just in case it had arrived from Germany with a faulty suspension part - again, no problem found.

After that I became involved in a seemingly endless progression of attempted fixes! - had the van chassis and bearing checked, changed the AKS friction pads twice! (side pads & front/rear pads) replaced the supplied PTC towball with an official ALko version (just in case) checked and greased the overrun, even rewired the caravan 13 pin plug in case a bad connection was causing the ATC to enter the test cycle when driving.

Then I added Grayston donut assistors, checked and rechecked tyre pressure on the car & van - just about anything and everything I could think of.

Still it was highly unstable - I spent most of last summer fiddling about with the outfit - and couldn't face going any further than about 35 miles in it.

The closest I came to a reasonable tow (and it was only reasonable in comparison to the previous nightmare journeys) was by putting 55 psi in the Tiguan and increasing the caravan noseweight to over 130kg! Both values in excess of the maximums permitted.

I read a Caravan Talk thread relating to a clunking sound experienced by someone with a PTC flange towbar - which was only resolved after fitting a Westphalia. So off came our PTC bar, earlier this year, and on went a brand new Westphalia detachable.

Additionally, I came across a brand new Alko AKS3004 that would cost me less than £100 after selling my old one - so, becoming increasingly desperate to avoid a repetition of last year's nonsense, the new AKS went on as well.

Then came new Dunlop tyres (balanced) and some Tyron bands.

I hoped (prayed) that would have cured it , and took it to a weighbridge a couple of weeks ago to get a definitive weight figure with the van empty but including the motor mover & battery.

That weight was 1300kg (noseweight 80kg) - and the Tiguan has a kerbweight of 1650 kg (plus 2 occupants) so the car/van ratio was below 80%.

That should have produced a really stable tow - but not a bit of it!. It felt just as bad as before.

I know what a stable caravan feels like - and I know when one feels as if it's about to snake violently, which is how this combination feels (to a greater of lesser extent) no matter what is done to it.

So, yes, I hate the thing and wish I'd never heard of VW Tiguans! My main regret is that I foolishly rejected a chance to buy one of the very last 'old' X-Trails! instead of the Tiguan! I was blinded by techno-rubbish (self parking, and gadgets that I have never, and will nevr, use. In the light of the Tiguan towing woes I bitterly, bitterly, bitterly regret not getting that X-Trail!

Sorry if this seems a bit 'rantish' - but I'm seriously miffed about the whole experience.

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
No wonder your peed off,i would be too.Have you tried going back to basics and towing with the ATC disconnected and just relie on the friction stabilizer?Saying that it should still be steadyish without that.What a bummer.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
So this might be a pie in the sky moment, but from how i am reading it you think the problem could be something to do with wind deflection from the round the back of the car & hitting the front of the van ?

What size wheels & tyres have you got on the Tiguan, you mention that by increasing the pressure it felt better ??

My old Hymer has a very steep front like the Olympus but it has the longer A frame, due to the square shape off the back of my Isuzu in summer you can see the shape of the truck with how the flys are stuck on the front of the van, but we only get a few high up if i put the roof boxes on, a couple of years ago i picked one of these up cheap and gave it a go and to be honest i was impressed in how it worked with the fly line ( hardly any ) so it does work in chucking the air high up, but maybe that's because i can get it far enough back on the roof to work. just had a look at a photo of the Tiguan and the Olympus ........ maybe it might work for you by deflecting the air from hitting the front of the van .... or is it pie in the sky..

2262ac1f-b361-41e7-bdd8-b181942e7aa6_zps3d244c55.jpg
East%20Riding%20of%20Yorkshire-20120806-00122_zpsogiyqees.jpg

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
@ Seth1 - I did previously try disabling the ATC by removing the line fuse (I wondered whether the VW TSC was conflicting with the ATC - a vague theory, but I was desperate enough to try anything) Can't say it made any difference either way.

@ Sproket, ahhhhhh - the continental 'A-frame! I really miss the extended A-frames of our previous German vans, I think they are more of an aid to stability than the Alko ATC - I cannot understand why all UK caravans specify those silly stubby little A-frame apologies on them!, what does it save?, two quid's worth of steel?

Sadly, I'm old enough to remember the original 'Windjammer' :( I think that it would be worth trying - but Towsure want £125.00 for son-of-windjammer, and I'm tired of pouring money into this project. If I was certain, then yes - however, maybe one will turn up locally on everyone's favourite auction site. I did see one down in Cannock for £50, but it's collect only.

Appreciate the suggestion, though

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello again Sosij,

I have no answer as to what the noise was or why the outfit is apparently so difficult for you, but I have spotted a few things in your last post that frankly do concern me.

"but acceptable if one kept below 60mph."

If any outfit begins to feel unstable then the best thing to do is to slow down. There is no legal requirement for caravans to be capable of being towed at or above 60mph. Manufactures will use components that are rated to allow caravan to be towed at the legal limit, but they can't predict tall the towing characteristics of their caravans with every conceivable car that might tow them. In some cases the safe towing maximum may be less than 60mph. In the UK the maximum permitted speed limit for caravans is 60mph, so there is no reason to explore beyond that.

"Then I added Grayston donut assistors,"

Such additions should never be necessary to a modern car. They tend to hide problems and in some cars create problems rather than fix them. If you ever suspect your suspension is too soft, then check the loads and the suspension itself. Some cars have stability control systems, the relative movement of suspension compared to the body is a monitored and the systems produces an output accordingly. If you change the characteristic of a road spring it cannot respond in the predicted way, and the safety systems may produce a wrong output, or no output when it should.

"by putting 55 psi in the Tiguan and increasing the caravan noseweight to over 130kg! Both values in excess of the maximums permitted."

A very dangerous thing to do and illegal. Driving with such excesses is not only inherently dangerous but could render your insurance invalid and prosecution for over loading and unroadworthy vehicles.

"and some Tyron bands."

It is my personal view based on the available evidence that Tyron Bands there is no conclusive evidence that Tyron bands are either necessary or effective, and thus not worth the trouble or the money. They certainly would not affect the handling of your outfit, unless they unbalance the wheels.

I appreciate that you have been desperate to find a solution but it really worries me when contributors carry out unsafe practices without apparently understanding the potential consequences of their actions.

Sadly if the car is capable of doing what you purchased it for then you may have a claim as its not fit for purpose - but proving it is another thing, especially as you tell us there are some other reports of the Alutec caravans proving difficult to tow, so the car seller could claim its the caravan at fault - and who knows it might be?.

I hope you find a good solution.

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Have to report that I am now on my second Tiguan 140 Diesel and tow a Bailey Senator Arizona mgw 1500 kgs. without any problems. When towing I have the tyres at 36 front and 40 rear. Have a Westfalia tow bar and do not have any other accessories or suspension aids required, just the standard Alko stabiliser. Tows well on normal roads and motorways at and around the normal towing speed limits. Solo mpg on a long run exceeds 45 mpg. It looks like you need to get your car suspension and steering checked again.

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
Its been said before on other threads,but is it worth trying the car with another van behind it and see how it behaves?Over the years ive towed with cars with reputations that wouldnt hold a candle to a VW and they,ve been great,never left me with a brown mark in anycase.Would be interesting to follow it and watch how bad it really is not that im doubting you.We followed a Vauxhall Astra home from the ferry last year towing about a 1200kg van.He was attempting to keep up with who i thought was his dad in a Landcruiser towing a twin axle.Jesus wept,ive never seen anything like it,they come past us and took the stripes of my van they were going that hard.The van at times was airbourne on the back of this astra and he just carried on with the missis asleep.I wet myself watching.LOL.I hope you fix it.

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
seth1 said:
No wonder your peed off,i would be too.Have you tried going back to basics and towing with the ATC disconnected and just relie on the friction stabilizer?Saying that it should still be steadyish without that.What a bummer.

No problem, Seth.

I have a kidnapped VW employee in my cellar. His name (apparently) is 'Wolfgang' - and he also tells me that his role at VW is to busy himself arranging flowers at the various assembly stages - snatch a bunch of wilted roses here, add a bouquet of fresh carnations there, that sort of thing...

According to Wolfgang, the average German auto worker goes to pieces without freshly cut flowers within touching distance.

I've wired Wolfgang up to mains electricity and he still said the same thing, so I suppose he's telling the truth......

I can only assume that my Tiguan was produced during an emergency 'flower outage', and that it was wrapped in poison ivy, and other ill-omened plants, immediately that it opened its non-Halogen headlights.....

Either that, or Wolfgang (whom I forgot abut, and who starved to death while I was busy watching Question Time) placed a dying curse on VW in general, and me in particular.

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
So because of your assumption Ray is that the reason for your belief of the problems this vehicle has whilst towing?But bear in mind there are probably thousands that tow fine.

TRENDING THREADS