Vw Tiguan

Sep 6, 2020
Visit site
Hi, I was thinking of buying a 2.0l diesel Tiguan next year when I buy my new caravan. I was wondering whether anyone has had any trouble with the dpf. The car will be usually do about 20 miles a day going to my wife's work every day. Thanks for any advice.

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
You should be fine with it as long as it won’t be sitting in traffic the whole distance.
We had a new Tiguan in 2018. It was a toss up between the Tig and a Kia Sportage.
Wished we had gone for the Sportage. We just found the VW a really bland, boring car with a very small boot.

Sep 6, 2020
Visit site
You should be fine with it as long as it won’t be sitting in traffic the whole distance.
We had a new Tiguan in 2018. It was a toss up between the Tig and a Kia Sportage.
Wished we had gone for the Sportage. We just found the VW a really bland, boring car with a very small boot.

Sep 6, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for that. It's a toss up between the Tiguan and the Skoda kodiaq. I do like the Sportage but they don't do it in a 2l diesel anymore only a1.6 diesel which could struggle a little bit.

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
We weren’t ever going to use ours for towing so the 1.6 diesel Sportage would have done. If we were ever going to buy another VAG product, would always go for the Skoda variant.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Not had a VW, but the advice with our diesels was to give it a 20 mile run down the motorway at at least 40 mph once a month to clear the DPF if it has not done a decent run.

Sep 6, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for that. I've asked around and like you say it looks like a blast down the motorway once a month keeps most diesels ticking over.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Not had a VW, but the advice with our diesels was to give it a 20 mile run down the motorway at at least 40 mph once a month to clear the DPF if it has not done a decent run.
Please not 40 mph on the motorway that’s plain dangerous. Anyway the engine would be so low down on revs it probably wouldn’t do the job.

Reactions: RogerL and Gooner1
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Tuningdrew i look at both of these cars and put the stuff like a petgear for two dogs and a scooter the one with more boot space was the Tiguan . Also i love towing with mine

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
To clear the DPF the recommendation is 30mins at 2000rpm - which probably needs 4th gear. OK, uses fuel but it will do the job.

The Hyundai Tuscon is still available with a 2L diesel albeit as a hybrid. As has been said many times on here it is the same vehicle as the Sportage.

As far as I can see only the Kodiaq SE or VRs are homologated to tow, which is a bit of a b!

The Touareg is certainly capable, and if you can get the bigger BHP version of the Tiguan that will probably be approved as well, but do investigate.

Nov 17, 2005
Visit site
I have a 67 plate Tiguan 150 SE Nav (2 litre diesel) with a DSG and 2WD, which acts as a normal run about and tow car, pulling a 1500kg mtplm van.

Edit 8/9/20 Sorry I forgot to add I chose this over the Skoda because it had a heavier noseweight limit of 100 kg.

Normally I would do about 15,000 miles per year of which 4,000 would be towing round Europe but this last 12 months it has only done 9,000 for obvious reasons.

I've never had any DPF problems or other issues and for me it tows very well, except beware of a heavy right foot as the speed can easily creep up without you noticing it.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Had Skoda Superb 170 ps 4WD DSG. 2014 model. No problems with dpf although did not do very short runs to shops etc. But otherwise dpf was okay. Pity about the rest so it had to go at five years old 45k miles.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gooner1
Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
My understanding is that in order to prevent the filter from becoming blocked, the engine needs to spend a reasonable amount of time running at normal temperature, which can take 10-15 minutes to reach. But if you're planning on using it for two 10-mile journeys each day (so about 20-30 minutes depending on traffic conditions) you should have no issues.

My company has an account with VW Finance, so we've had various Passats, Skoda Superb/Octavias and an Audi with the same 2.0 TDI engine and I don't think we've had a single mechanical reliability issue.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My understanding is that in order to prevent the filter from becoming blocked, the engine needs to spend a reasonable amount of time running at normal temperature, which can take 10-15 minutes to reach. But if you're planning on using it for two 10-mile journeys each day (so about 20-30 minutes depending on traffic conditions) you should have no issues.

My company has an account with VW Finance, so we've had various Passats, Skoda Superb/Octavias and an Audi with the same 2.0 TDI engine and I don't think we've had a single mechanical reliability issue.
Must admit the engine gave no problems. The rest wasn't so good despite a relatively easy life and serviced plus all the non service maintenance carried out. But as a “ pensioner” I felt it was costing too much, and still had an undiagnosed power train vibration that could have been DMF or DSG. So it advanced our change back to petrol after 19 diesel years. There are times I yearn for the company car. Infinitively good value despite the tax 😱

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
So far my Volkswagen Tiguan 2.0 TDI 4Motion190ps SEL DSG is two years old only done 8,550 and the engine has given me no problems and no DPF problems. i have even tried it off road went fishing on a river bank today had a great day i could not see my previous car a (Skoda Yeti 1.2 110bhp TSI petrol 5 door) doing that i probably get stuck....

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
To clear the DPF the recommendation is 30mins at 2000rpm - which probably needs 4th gear. OK, uses fuel but it will do the job...

The common process is to run the vehicle with raised RPM for a period of time, but it will vary from model to model, so you should take instruction from your vehicles own hand book and not try to use a process designed for a different vehicle. The time period may not be a fixed period, it may be until the warning light cancels.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
So far my Volkswagen Tiguan 2.0 TDI 4Motion190ps SEL DSG is two years old only done 8,550 and the engine has given me no problems and no DPF problems. i have even tried it off road went fishing on a river bank today had a great day i could not see my previous car a (Skoda Yeti 1.2 110bhp TSI petrol 5 door) doing that i probably get stuck....
You would be quite surprised at what a 2WD Yeti can do. Ref Zig wheels 2012. It’s clearance, tyres and suspension.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
i took the Yeti 2WD once through deep water the river had burst it bank at Pickering we was on way to Whitby it went through it i was suprise some cars got stuck but river banks it might get up but turning around i don"t think so .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
So further to my previous post on the Tiguan, I today put a deposit down on a Kia Sportage 2litre diesel awd. Very nice on the test drive and still has 5 year's left on the Warranty.
Nice car and that warranty is such a useful back stop; rarely if ever used. 👍

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts