Wales to carlisle

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Hi

We are traveling from the CC site at Freshwater East to a certified location near Carlisle on a Sunday in September. I am not familiar with Wales. Checked with Tom Tom route planer and it takes me up through Wales. Most of the route appears to be on the A 483. Does anyone know if this route is dual carraigeway ? My other option is to use the motorways. Although this will be longer mileage wise I wonder if it may be quicker and less stressful.

Any observations welcome

Thanks

Graham

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you want to do it in one day i suggest sticking to the motorways as cross country Wales will be pretty but not fast. The biggest hold-up is likely to be the M5 M6 area north west of Birmingham and again perhaps round Warrington, depending on day and time of day.

I would guess that you would be doing very well to average better than 85% of the motorway average by going cross country, particularly at a busy time. M5 M6 busy and service areas not too wonderful, but with a bit of map reading you can find sections of the "old" main roads which run close and parallel and which probably have good lay-bys (except at lunch times).

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Graham

In June I travelled from a site in North Wales to Swansea in the south. What a journey. It took 5 hours. I was considering travelling east to pick up the M5, M50, A449 and M4. Wish I had now. Lovely scenery but its a long slog up and down the hills.

Jun 25, 2005
Visit site
Hi

I recently posted asking for advice going from Shrewsbury to Pembroke. We going to Freshwater East. Steve has responded with a different route - see his reply.We'll be trying this route soon.

If you followed Steve's route in reverse to Shrewbury - you could then pick up the M54, M6. You would then avoid the potential bottlenecks you get on the M5 M6 interchange and around Wolverhampton. It is going cross country in Wales before picking up the M6.

Not sure if this helps

Annette

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Do not go across Mid-Wales, LLandridod, Builth. Best way is Landovery, narrow in the town for about 50 yds. Brecon- use the by pass, Leominster, Ludlow. North of Ludlow turn right across race course then follwo Bridgnorth. Telford. From there take A5 east towtds Cannock and pick up M6 at Gailey.

Long journey- suggest you overnight at CC site High Onn. The bit through Wales this way is on single roads but reasonably straight and good surface. The bit Ludlow- Bridgnorth is OK but can be slow if you get a tractor in front. Warning- north from Ludlow on A49 for a few hundred yards, then right across race course. Do not follow signs off Kidderminster road- the route is awful.

More details please shout. (We live in Telford and come this way often.)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts