Want to go to the Ile de Re in France

Apr 3, 2009
Visit site
Hi, We're pretty new to caravanning and would like some advice. Family of 6, 4 kids (aged 14-3)go in a tent and we'd like to go to the ile de Re as we've heard climate is good and its great for famillies.

Could anyone advise us on ferry routes, timmings and costs?

Also would love to hear about other people's experiences of campsites on the island, any recommendations? We're looking for somewhere pretty, unspoilt and close to sea.

Thanks

Greenie

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We went a few years ago and stayed at a site called L'Ocean at Couarde sur Mer. Its quite an interesting place with many good cycle paths. Its pretty expensive to cross to the Island on the bridge, something like _26 with a caravan so its best to decide to stay on the Island rather than making trips to the mainland.

David

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
was thinking about the ferry from UK
Sorry! Misunderstanding - but at one time it was only accessible by ferry.

Ferries are usually cheapest from Dover/Calais or Dover/Boulogne - but this is then a fair old trek to Ile de Re. Otherwise, you've the Western Channel crossings, which are much more expensive. It depends where you live, too - as to which is most convenient. We live in the north and always (now) go on the short crossing after a very near miss when we arrived very late because of traffic, almost missing our ferry from Portsmouth. At least in Dover 'there's another along in a minute'. At the moment (or a couple of weeks ago) Norfolk Line were doing some really good offers from Dover to Boulogne.

However, Calais to the Ile de Re is 712 km and more than 10 hours of driving with a caravan, so you'd have to factor in an overnight stop somewhere. Cherbourg to Ile de Re is 502 km so more manageable, but perhaps still best with an overnight stop if you're new to caravanning in France. Caen is 457 km - so better still - and certainly possible in a day, with Roscoff about the same. Everyone is different in their 'wishes' for their journey - we don't mind 'meandering' and stopping overnight, but with children perhaps you'd be more impatient to get there - to avoid the 'Are we there yet....' scenario.

Friends of our went there with their caravan last year - but I don't know where they stayed. I know they enjoyed it but found eating out was quite an expensive business compared to mainland France. They did a lot of cycling - and said the island was full of people on bikes!

Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com
We have been many times and just love the island. Be sure to take bikes (or hire when you are there) the whole island can be explored by off road paved and flat tracks.Touring by car is a bit of a pain with narrow streets in the villages and parking problems. The toll for the bridge rises from about 15 euros to 27 around 20th of June.We use camping La Tour de Prises ( in the club site guide under St Martin de Re) at La Couarde which is more or less in the centre of the Island.If you have to go in August I would go somewhere else as I believe all of Paris descends then and the cycling would not be much fun with large groups hogging the cycle tracks.

Dave

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi Greenie

My wife and I, kids grown and flown, visited Ile de Re on the way home from the Pyrenees. We booked from our site in the Pyrenees just prior to travelling north in mid August and struggled to find. I would recommend Camping Providence with the qualifications mentioned in our review, ie, quite basic and at the far end of the island. Lots of good beaches nearby. Ile de Re is not a clubby sort of island but if, like us, you're into natural beauty and beaches it's super. Some of the beaches, not near Providence were a bit seaweedy and/or windy but there are lots of pine fringed sheltered ones. The high bridge toll meant that we stayed on the island for our 2 weeks without leaving. There are 2 excellent supermarches in Martin de Re. We took our bikes cycled a lot on the excellent safe cycle ways which go EVERYWHERE. The boat trips looked good but we did not get around to them. We finished our hols with a romantic end of hols meal at one of the harbourside restaurants in Martin de Re. Our revies of Camping Providence with general comments on the island can be found here.

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=2969
After our stay on the Ile we travelled up Dunkerque for the ferry. We broke our journey to visit Puy du Fou, highly recommneded. We then overnighted at the aire Bay de Somme, dedicated caravan parking area, and Camping La Parroquet at Bray Dunes, near Dunkerque.

We enjoyed the Ile de Re a great deal. Although quite busy late August not unbearably so - still lots of space!!!

Regards

Tim

G

We went in June 2007 and left after 2 days as the beaches were covered in sandfly,however the cycle tracks are good, I cant remember the name of the site we stayed on it was at the furthest tip of the island and it was ok.

There are some nice campsites in La Rochelle with arguably more to see/do without a prohibitive toll each time.

May 5, 2005
Visit site
looked at it this year but decided to stay on the mainland.La Rochelle and Royan are near without paying toll.maybe next year if pound is stronger 27 Euro mentioned,if each way

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Whilst the toll is only one way, ie, pay to get onto the island, free to leave, a trip to the mainland and back would involve paying to return, on the other hand, as I mentioned previously,there is certainly adequate food shopping facilities on the island - 2 large supermarkets in St Martin and lot of smaller ones in other villages. There are other shops and numerous markets too. Cycling, there is a cycle way, or walking over the bridge and then using public transport is another option or there are the boat services, foot passengers only, to the mainland too. I'm not sure if there is a bus service across the bridge or what the situation is regarding taxis.

I hope this helps.

Tim

TRENDING THREADS