Waste pipe

Jul 13, 2021
Visit site
Hi having trouble keeping my waste pipe connected to the connector under the kitchen sink it's a push in connection but it just so tight to access. I push it on the best I can but after putting the draws and metal baskets back in it comes off. So I got to take out the draw and baskets and try again. I need a good fix cos dont want this happening when we go away.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We had problem withthe pipe on our Swift, stripped it all out and dried it off, sealed all the joints with UHU glue, yellow tube from poundland,no problems since,If you go down that route you need to mark the angle of the pipe as it leaves underneath the basin.

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
If they are assembled correctly they dont need glue, and if you ever have to strip out you will be in trouble. It sound like the draw is pushing the pipe off, which we had on one caravan. I altered the pipe run so that the draw and pipe didn't collide, and secured the pipe with a P clip to stop it drifting back. It's not too tricky to do and is a proper solution.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Possibly be better with one of the spring type. Very hard to get to a Jubilee when its right at the back, and of course you need two hands. The spring type can be done one handed with pliers.

CRP9765_1.jpg

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As Ern says the important bit is 'if it is assembled correctly' I would suggest ours wasn't, the pieces of grey waste pipe were just a push fit, some of which were not secured, the pipe was also impeded by the gas pipe for the cooker, which seemed to have been fitted in the worst possible place to foul a bend in the waste pipe, it is easy enough to remove the complete glued pipe on ours as it connects via a screw to the base of the plughole in the sink, my plan is that should the pipe fail again I will strip out the complete pipe and replace witha single length of flexible pipe. I think I have read somewhere that this is a common fault with Swift caravans, the push fittings just do not stay in place,particularly when the inner pipe is pushed upwards into the sleeve end pipe, since I glued ours it has been fine, so keeping fingers crossed

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
..... pieces of grey waste pipe were just a push fit, some of which were not secured, the pipe was also impeded by the gas pipe for the cooker, which seemed to have been fitted in the worst possible place to foul a bend in the waste pipe, it is easy enough to remove the complete glued pipe on ours as it connects via a screw to the base of the plughole in the sink, my plan is that should the pipe fail again I will strip out the complete pipe and replace witha single length of flexible pipe. I think I have read somewhere that this is a common fault with Swift caravans, the push fittings just do not stay in place.....
We bought our last new Swift 2009 and it had exactly the problem we are discussing. Swift Talk Forum hammered Swift because it was such a stupid assembly fault and there were many failures. Then we bought our next new Swift 2016 and guess what? Exactly the same. Today we hear of the same old fault after 12 years. Is there a moral to this I ask?

May 24, 2014
Visit site
It was just the same with Swift fitting Nordelectronica units that they knew were flakey at best. They must have bought huge numbers of them as they were still being fitted and still failing years later.

Reactions: Yellows11
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thank you Ern, I think it was Swift Talk where I heard of the problem,ours is a 2019 and I had forgotten about the problems until we found water on the kitchen floor one morning, the pipe had parted at the junction where it starts to pass the water downwards, so as the pipe was still in line some water was making it into the waste pipe the rest was missing the pipe to run down onto the floor,some people claim the pipes as fitted are sometimes too short, in my opinion, it is just poor workmanship, probably driven like so many things in caravan construction by time, and time always costs money. generally the dealer we bought from , and our particular van has been one of our better experiences in 30 years of caravanning,but all the vans we have had , needed some remedial work, and until the manufacturers adopt a mindset of building the best caravan they can , we will be stuck with their attitude of let the owner sort it out, and with the current situation ref supply and demand, there is no real incentive for that to happen.perhaps in a year or twos time, with the projected return to holidays abroad and the predicted over supply of used vans , we can expect the dealers and manufacturers to up their game?

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
Up their game? I doubt it. I dont think the manufacturers and dealers are capable of doing any better than now.
It's a cottage industry right to its bones. It's very obvious that there is no Production Engineering and a reliance on the OEM suppliers for inovation.
The dealers are just shops. Caravan shops!

Jul 13, 2021
Visit site
I have pushed it in the best I can and tighten a jubilee clip over it. If it comes away again I will try something else. Anyone know what size the screws are that keep the draw in place put one back but dropped the other one under the sink unit where the pipes are and can't find it?

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I have pushed it in the best I can and tighten a jubilee clip over it. If it comes away again I will try something else. Anyone know what size the screws are that keep the draw in place put one back but dropped the other one under the sink unit where the pipes are and can't find it?
I hope this time it does the job what you require:)

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Had a problem with leaks after refitting the push fit/screw fit plastic pipes under my house kitchen sink after clearing a blockage - used Fernox LS-X 'jointing compound and leak sealer' bought cheaply in SCrewfix which did the job as can be applied when wet or dry and unlike silicone can easily be undone if needed. Saved the cost of a call-out and was easy to apply to a relatively inaccessible area using a vinyl glove.

Reactions: Yellows11 and Ern

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts