Waste water draining gadget --- Ummm!

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I came across this in the latest CAMC magazine. It supposedly lets you get rid of the wastemaster tank by filtering out the debris and then letting the water drain into the ground. If you visit their web site below a big warning comes up saying this is not allowed on CAMC sites and I don't blame them. I certainly wouldn't be happy pitching up on a site where the previous owners had used this'

I can't say I'm impressed by the claims either nor the price

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I'd imagine many other site owners wouldn't be happy with this either - it may filter solids but dissolved chemicals from food and washing products will still be put into the ground.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
At rallies using just pasture fields it is quite common to use a strainer tube that you start the rally by stuffing with grass, there was even a device made to use this technique, other users simply make DIY versions.

In some ways in the right environment using non soil waste water to feed the ground is both desirable and encouraged.
Those owners whose CDP is on a sealed cess tank, very actively encourage such practices, and in hot places using the water to give shrubs a drink is quite commonly the practice.

But no not on sites where the pitch is in constant reuse.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I don't mind draining the Waste water into hedgerows it helps the flora. But this thing would just keep the pitch wet all the time.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I noticed that despite supposedly being in business for X number of years, there is no address on the webpages for the company unless I missed it?

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed lots of people on CAMC sites let their wastehog overflow all over the place, in fact the chap next to me on the last site didn't appear to empty his the whole time he was there.

Nice surprise for the next guest, no wonder the CAMC don't want people using it

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I've noticed lots of people on CAMC sites let their wastehog overflow all over the place, in fact the chap next to me on the last site didn't appear to empty his the whole time he was there.

In hot weather it could cause a terrible smell around the area.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site

It is not just CAMC sites, I will admit to just cracking open my Waste Collector, if the weather is really bad, but I have it away from the van, if more sites had more waste water or Serviced pitches it would not happen, but then you would pay more, for your pitch.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Their ad says they are CAMC Members. Surely only individuals not companies can be members? Is that an indirect affirmation support for this product even though the big banner comes up saying not allowed on Club sites😵‍💫😵‍💫.
Not for me.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It is not just CAMC sites, I will admit to just cracking open my Waste Collector, if the weather is really bad, but I have it away from the van, if more sites had more waste water or Serviced pitches it would not happen, but then you would pay more, for your pitch.
Regarding paying more that is true, but if the site never had a wash block, it is cheaper to have fully serviced pitches and also probably less wastage of water. Also no wash block cleaners required.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
FSP are becoming mandatory for us. Good point about shower block costs etc. But don’t forget there are still a lot of people who don’t use their own on board facilities😥😥

Reactions: Beehpee
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
FSP are becoming mandatory for us. Good point about shower block costs etc. But don’t forget there are still a lot of people who don’t use their own on board facilities😥😥
We always book FSP but my wife uses the facilities on aboard but i prefer the site disabled unit

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I have a routine for topping up the water container and emptying the waste water and cludgie. Sometimes my mind wanders and I've dragged the waste waster tank along without screwing the cap on. Fortunately it soon becomes apparent.

Also I've sometimes got as far as the water station only to discover I've left the filler pipe back at the van.

My mind is too highly tuned in on other things :)

On a similar topic does anyone have traps fitted to the waste outlets to stop smells from coming back in. Doesn't happen often but not great when it does. I think I could do this just by having a loop in the pipes but the waste traps seem to be a more 'professional' solution.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I have a routine for topping up the water container and emptying the waste water and cludgie. Sometimes my mind wanders and I've dragged the waste waster tank along without screwing the cap on. Fortunately it soon becomes apparent.

Also I've sometimes got as far as the water station only to discover I've left the filler pipe back at the van.

My mind is too highly tuned in on other things :)

On a similar topic does anyone have traps fitted to the waste outlets to stop smells from coming back in. Doesn't happen often but not great when it does. I think I could do this just by having a loop in the pipes but the waste traps seem to be a more 'professional' solution.
I was told that one of the reasons why they don't fit waste traps as that when travelling the water could splash up and out. The other reason could be is accessing the trap as on occasions one needs to remove the cap to drain out the water trapped in there plus other nasties. In summer the smell coming up from the waste pipes can be horrible.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I fitted one of these to a previous caravan. It worked okay and was easy to clean. But really don’t know why I actually fitted it as we didn’t have a problem with smells from the kitchen or bathroom drains. Just one of those things caravanners do I guess. We always used a sink bowl for washing up and wiped dirty plates and utensils before washing up. Before leaving a site I would run the remaining hot water into the bowl add some washing up liquid and run it down the drain.

CEFCD41D-1846-4F6E-BB87-873037551009.jpeg

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site

Many caravans have them, not by design, but by co-incidence - the flexible hose from the sink/shower is often joined to a length of rigid pipe which is attached under the caravan floor - the flexible hose dips below the pipe as it comes out of the floor and then rises back up to join the pipe - this forms a sort of seal as water hangs in the dip.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I hadn't intended to fit them directly to the wastes in the sinks and shower but to the pipes outside the van before they enter the waste tank. That way they can easily be removed and cleaned when moving off and getting home.

My pipework from the kitchen sink already has a 'dip' in it which acts as an unitentional trap and we don't get any smell from that. The shower waste pipe is pretty much straight so I may try and alter that slightly before buying a proper trap.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I fitted one of these to a previous caravan. It worked okay and was easy to clean. But really don’t know why I actually fitted it as we didn’t have a problem with smells from the kitchen or bathroom drains. Just one of those things caravanners do I guess. We always used a sink bowl for washing up and wiped dirty plates and utensils before washing up. Before leaving a site I would run the remaining hot water into the bowl add some washing up liquid and run it down the drain.

View attachment 3201
Looks a good idea but will it fit onto the standard grey waste pipe or does it push into the waste pipe?
I have no idea of the diameter of the normal grey waste pipe. We only get the smell on really hot days especially when in France or Spain.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Looks a good idea but will it fit onto the standard grey waste pipe or does it push into the waste pipe?
I have no idea of the diameter of the normal grey waste pipe. We only get the smell on really hot days especially when in France or Spain.
Look on Pennine leisure and Caravan Parts Direct as they give the specs and Buyer reviews. Fits 28mm. convoluted or smooth.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I hadn't intended to fit them directly to the wastes in the sinks and shower but to the pipes outside the van before they enter the waste tank. That way they can easily be removed and cleaned when moving off and getting home.

My pipework from the kitchen sink already has a 'dip' in it which acts as an unitentional trap and we don't get any smell from that. The shower waste pipe is pretty much straight so I may try and alter that slightly before buying a proper trap.

I think your idea of where to fit one is the best. I would do it but simply never had a problem and there is always the problem that it may cause a restriction. Even at home with main sewer connection, the trap in the bath dries out every couple of weeks. This is because we never use the bath. I notice when I empty the basin and there is a gurgling noise from the bath. I just open a bath tap to top it back up. But never any smell.

John

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site

Our Hymer caravans both were built with traps from the Reich range, LINK the single outlet option in all cases, kitchen, wash basin and shower.
These are easily cleaned as the bottom "lid" unscrews.

Probably used, as the vans we have had were built along with MHs? Here I could understand that free venting waste pipes into the cab is probably considered by the Germans as not the right practice?

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Well over twenty years ago at one of the shows a gadget was demonstrated to clean waste water sufficient to dispose into the ground. It was nothing more that a bag filled with grass and your waste was inserted in to it and the water just soaked through the bag into the nearest place you can do so. We did get one and it worked but cannot remember why we did not carry on .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts