WATCH OUT TOWING IN HOLLAND

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
I have just returned from a holiday in Holland and although I did not come across this problem I have heard it from two different sources.

It would seem that the Dutch Police are stopping caravanners - especially those British entering or leaving Rotterdam/Europort - and checking the brake snatch cable attachment. If it is looped around the towbar - as most of us do - and not specifically attached to the bar itself it is an on-the-spot _30 fine.

I am told that Dutch towing rules have recently been changed and this is enforcement of same.

I ahev searched the 'net to no avail, but pass it on in good faith - i.e. it may be wrong/untrue.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Andrew,

I'll ask the people in the office (work in Rotterdam) tomorrow, about 25% of them have caravans - and so they may know.

If not I'll check the ANWB and VVV web-sites.

Robert

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

I looked on the ANWB site and found nothing, but a work friend took a photo of his towbar - all new towbar installations now come with a dedicated mount for the breakaway cable.

I've copied an image of his swan neck towbar on www.eriba-amiga.co.uk/images/projects/pic_dutch_swanneck.jpg

So I don't have any proof that the Dutch law has changed, but it looks like everyone does use a fixed attachment point.

Robert

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Spoke with my business partner, a caravan dealer in Holland, and a search of www.google.nl for "breekkabel regels" (break cable rules)

For some considerable time, it has been law in Holland that you must attach the brake-away cable to the fixed eye on the tow-bar.

Looping the brake-away cable over the tow ball is illegal - it may be the recommendation of the Caravan Club in the UK - but it's a fine in Holland.

Robert

Oct 15, 2006
Visit site
Spoke with my business partner, a caravan dealer in Holland, and a search of www.google.nl for "breekkabel regels" (break cable rules)

For some considerable time, it has been law in Holland that you must attach the brake-away cable to the fixed eye on the tow-bar.

Looping the brake-away cable over the tow ball is illegal - it may be the recommendation of the Caravan Club in the UK - but it's a fine in Holland.

Robert
Just seen this post - we are going to Holland next year.

We have a removable Westfalia towbar on our Passat - there is no fixed eye to fasten the cable so I have no option but to loop it around the towbar - how would that be looked on by the Dutch police?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts