Water Heater Descaling

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure if I should be posting this here or in equipment section but here goes......

Our van is fitted with a Truma water heater and I've read somewhere that the best maintenance this heater can recieve is being descaled by using white vinegar, now, my questions are

1) how do I get the white vinegar into the heater without wasting it in the cold water system?

2) What quantity should I be putting into it?

3) How long do I leave it in there, and should I add it when it's hot as though I was descaling a kettle or 1st then let it warm up, if so what temperature should I set the stat to and will it clean both the gas side and the electric side at the same time or do I need to switch on both?

4) How should I flush the system out after?

Sorry for all the questions but I want to ensure the best out of our van which has been stuck on the driveway since being purchased in NOvember and my family and I are climbing the walls waiting for descent weather for our 1st outing.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Mikey

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
White Wine Vinegar is the recommended descaler for Truma water heaters.

Use a mix of 50/50 and the only way of introducing it is via the aquaroll.

#Remove any filters first , or replace them after.

To reduce the amount mix going into the cold water pipes, do not open the cold taps, just use the Hot.

Fill the Hot water system and heat to its normal temperature (70 degrees which is automatic on electric heating))then leave for a couple of hours before draining.

Wash out the aquaroll, fill with clean water and flush the

system with at least two full rolls of water, making sure you flush the cold side as well.

Refit new filters.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
It's easy - drain the system down, removing any filter cartridges (if possible) - prepare about 12 litres of 50 water :50 white vinegar - refill system without opening any cold taps - turn the water heater on - leave for an hour or two - drain down system - refill with fresh water and drain a final time to rinse.

As Damian has posted !!

The first time I did mine I used malt vinegar by mistake - didn't seem to do any harm though - but on some caravan this might taint the pipework not I'd not repeat it.

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
Many thanks for your replies, I hope to be doing this soon, the sooner I do it then the sooner it's officialy spring and the van is being prepared for our 1st outing....YIPPEEEEEeeeeeeeeeee

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
I have never descaled any heater, nor have i ever had a problem as a result, same with the washer at home.

Having just refitted the kitchen, i've just spent

TRENDING THREADS