Water meter reading

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have had a Smart water meter with Severn Trent for several years so no need for them to access the property to do a reading. They can stand outside the home with a gadget that reads the meter.
However this year for some unknown reason they have emailed us asking us to read the meter. Unfortunately they placed the water meter at the back under the kitchen sink.
It is not easy to access to do a reading as a shelf needs to be removed to see the reading and it is a very awkward shelf to remove as you need to lie down on the floor. If I get down that low chances are slim of being able to get back up on my own.
Guess they will have to come around anyway as Covid is definitely not an excuse as no need to enter the premises! :D

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We have had a Smart water meter with Severn Trent for several years so no need for them to access the property to do a reading. They can stand outside the home with a gadget that reads the meter.
However this year for some unknown reason they have emailed us asking us to read the meter. Unfortunately they placed the water meter at the back under the kitchen sink.
It is not easy to access to do a reading as a shelf needs to be removed to see the reading and it is a very awkward shelf to remove as you need to lie down on the floor. If I get down that low chances are slim of being able to get back up on my own.
Guess they will have to come around anyway as Covid is definitely not an excuse as no need to enter the premises! :D
How do the get to a meter under your sink without accessing the property ? Is there also not a standard meter on the external mains inlet to the house?

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Covid could still be the issue because many businesses have staff shortages as people get the virus and then have to isolate themselves.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
How do the get to a meter under your sink without accessing the property ? Is there also not a standard meter on the external mains inlet to the house?

TBH I am not sure as every year they do a reading although they never enter the property. We have seen them walking around with a device in their hand which I think allows to read the meter remotely. I have assumed that it is either wireless or bluetooth?

I had a dig around and found the documentation for the meter and I have been assuming wrong all these years. They are supposed to enter the property at least once a year to read the meter.
Neither the wife or myself can recall when last they actually came into the home to read the meter in the past several or more years.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
TBH I am not sure as every year they do a reading although they never enter the property. We have seen them walking around with a device in their hand which I think allows to read the meter remotely. I have assumed that it is either wireless or bluetooth?
Our meter is read by a handheld remote - it's 5' down under where I normally park and I've never been asked to move the car - this time the meter man did say he was missing out those he couldn't read remotely as the weather was bad.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
In these awkward viewing access jobs, I use a digital camera, phone or a webcam, or even a mirror on a stick; any "mileage" here in adopting some similar aid avoiding the need to physically eye-ball the meter itself?

I have two old salvaged webcams set up on my ludicrously located gas & electric meters I just take an old note book PC to where I routed the USB tails for these cameras.
The water meter on the verge, I photo using my mobile phone. [that meter's dial I leave "capped" with an off-cut plastic bottle on an extension stick, saving a very long reach in and then having to wipe it clean].

Anything to make life easier, that others have contrived or negligently made difficult.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
The policy in my area is to fit a water meter when the property changes ownership. However, five years ago when free fitting was offered, I accepted and had one fitted in the pavement, about three feet below street level. It's one of the best things I've done. It's reduced the annual payment tremendously. Previously the charge was based on my Band F rating. Now, living on my own and pre-Covid, spending three months in Spain, my water bill is a fraction of what it once was. To see the meter, first the cover needs lifting, then several discs of polystyrene insulation need to be moved. As far as I know, it hasn't been disturbed since it was fitted. It must be read remotely.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
We are another case where the cost savings have been great for the fitting of a water meter.
Perhaps odd and not realised, in our case the larger cost saving impact come from the sewerage charges, rather than the cost of the water we use; the cost charged for taking it away after use!

Probably would not have been back in the days of the kids.

In our case the physical meter is read by somebody other than my monthly reading, at a guess every 6 months I note things have been disturbed.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Here on the Isle of Wight we were used as the testing ground for water meters, and every house and flat was fitted with one where it was possible to do so.

Some were fitted inside the property,as mine was, and some outside in the pavement.

They are normally read once a year but for those of us with inside meters that has not been done since Covid and we are asked to read it and submit the readings either by internet or by phone.

The pavement ones need the meter reader to open the cover, remove the insulation and read the meter, then replace the insulation and close the cover, apart from gaining entry to those fitted inside a house they are quicker for the reader to do his job of inspecting the meter and take the reading.

The difference between metered water and the rates based cost can be considerable and we have found it to be much cheaper and do not regret having the meter installed.

Being a trial area the fitting was free, but I understand that some water companies do charge for fitting which may make having one fitted less attractive.
I dont know what the fitting cost is but would imagine quite high if installing a pavement one.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We are another case where the cost savings have been great for the fitting of a water meter.
Perhaps odd and not realised, in our case the larger cost saving impact come from the sewerage charges, rather than the cost of the water we use; the cost charged for taking it away after use!

Probably would not have been back in the days of the kids.

In our case the physical meter is read by somebody other than my monthly reading, at a guess every 6 months I note things have been disturbed.
Our meter out in the drive is ready every six months by the water authority. Never looked back after having a meter fitted. Our neighbours in their 80s don’t have a meter and I am appalled at their use of hoses and sprinklers.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Our non smart water meter is on the driveway / road boundary. Thames water read it annually. A chap did it a few weeks ago, on his knees. Only two of us. Last house we were charged a fix annual rate based on the number of bedrooms. Downsizing has almost halved our costs

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Our neighbours in their 80s don’t have a meter and I am appalled at their use of hoses and sprinklers.

Here a licence to use an unattended hose or sprinkler, from the utility, pre requires the fitting of a water meter.
I rather suspect those that use them locally, having a meter is the last thing they want.

Never has anybody official or otherwise expressed any interest where our hoses and sprinklers are fed from.
We are fortunate though, despite living on top of a hill we have a very viable well, that I pump for those uses.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I've no idea how the comparison would work out now but when we had our meter fitted, the annual cost dropped to less than half - it might have been even better but we pay South Staffs Water for fresh water who have usually been the cheapest in the country and pay Severn-Trent for sewage and drainage who are relatively expensive.

Our neighbour doesn't have a meter so I use their external tap to wash the cars and caravan - with their permission of course.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Our meter out in the drive is ready every six months by the water authority. Never looked back after having a meter fitted. Our neighbours in their 80s don’t have a meter and I am appalled at their use of hoses and sprinklers.

In case I was wrong as I can forget some minor things, I asked the wife when last was out meter read. She cannot even recall anyone coming into our home to read the meter. However on checking the bills no mention from Severn Trent that reading was estimated?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
When covid first hit two years ago, my eldest son came home to live from London, so three adults washing thir hands every 20 minutes, washing everything, that came into the house, emptied and refilled the 300 gallon hottub 3 times, two power showers running . Our water bill for the year was over £650. Thankfully this year, only the two of us, water bill went down to £300.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
When covid first hit two years ago, my eldest son came home to live from London, so three adults washing thir hands every 20 minutes, washing everything, that came into the house, emptied and refilled the 300 gallon hottub 3 times, two power showers running . Our water bill for the year was over £650. Thankfully this year, only the two of us, water bill went down to £300.
Washing hands every 20 minutes seems extreme surprising no one got dermatitis. 🧼🫧🧴🧽

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Scrubber😜😜

• Haha
Reactions: Hutch
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I believe that the danger of a drought at the taps in the UK has more to do with the lack of infrastructure and forward planning than lack of water. Schemes have been put forward to distribute water around the country to feed over used aquifers in the south. Also, For many years property and villages in an area around Oxford have been acquired in order to build a enormous reservoir which they say is not needed for another 30 years. When I was studying related subjects in the 70’s I remember being told that we only attempt to capture less that 1% of the rainfall. Then there is the massive loss due the leakage in the supply system.

We have considered a meter for many years, but going be the calculator provided it will mean in increase. My daughter who is on one certainly pays more than we do.

In theory, if not cheaper, then a meter must surely be the fairest option. Interesting to read others findings.

Maybe one day.

John

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I believe that the danger of a drought at the taps in the UK has more to do with the lack of infrastructure and forward planning than lack of water. Schemes have been put forward to distribute water around the country to feed over used aquifers in the south. Also, For many years property and villages in an area around Oxford have been acquired in order to build a enormous reservoir which they say is not needed for another 30 years. When I was studying related subjects in the 70’s I remember being told that we only attempt to capture less that 1% of the rainfall. Then there is the massive loss due the leakage in the supply system.

We have considered a meter for many years, but going be the calculator provided it will mean in increase. My daughter who is on one certainly pays more than we do.

In theory, if not cheaper, then a meter must surely be the fairest option. Interesting to read others findings.

Maybe one day.

John
When our children moved out we eventually went for a meter. Almost halved our water bill. But I am careful in using water in the garden. My containers have plants that are not water hungry and I put them onto the soil at times. Cars get washed fairly infrequently and washing machine at full load, showers, never had bath for either of us for years. So we tend to do with water what we do with energy. Use it sensibly.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Thames Water have one of the largest leakages in the U.K., allegedly greater than what they sell! It is well documented on HMG sites they also discharge more effluent into river and water courses than anyone else. Why? We are paying the price of this inefficiency🤬

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
When our children moved out we eventually went for a meter. Almost halved our water bill. But I am careful in using water in the garden. My containers have plants that are not water hungry and I put them onto the soil at times. Cars get washed fairly infrequently and washing machine at full load, showers, never had bath for either of us for years. So we tend to do with water what we do with energy. Use it sensibly.

Very commendable. We are similar. As I think are lots of people. But are still lectured too at times to conserve. My concern is more for the farmers who can really struggle with supplies. If they don’t get sufficient supplies, we all suffer.

John

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If places like South Africa and Zimbabwe can manage droughts of up to 7 years, why can't England with abundant rainfall manage?

However on a lighter note, wife got down on her hands and knees and emptied the shelves to get the water reading. Water is sold in cubic metres so I worked out our consumption in litres and converted to gallons. Between the two of us we use an average of 40 gallons of water a day across the year. I think washing machine is the biggest culprit as per wash it can use up to 14 gallons with washes and rinses.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A modern washing machine using 14 gallons? That seems a lot. Are you sure about your figures? Conversion of litres to gallons is 4.54L = 1gallon.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts