Watering the garden

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We are considering buying a water timer with to outlets. One for the lawn and the other to water the vegetables etc that are in pots. However lawn requires a higher pressure than pot plants. Not sure if you can vary the pressure between the outlets. Anyone got such a system installed?

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Ours is fully automatic, it rains and the plants get watered without any human intervention, Dont know why nobody has thought of this method before.

Seriously though, could you fit a pressure reducing valve to one line?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Ours is fully automatic, it rains and the plants get watered without any human intervention, Dont know why nobody has thought of this method before.

Seriously though, could you fit a pressure reducing valve to one line?

I have no idea as just investigating it. We were away for month and some of the plants under cover were desperate for watering. If we had been away with current heat probably would have come back to the Sahara.
The timers are not too expensive, but need to see if it is worthwhile installing one as we will need on in the front and another at the back.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We are considering buying a water timer with to outlets. One for the lawn and the other to water the vegetables etc that are in pots. However lawn requires a higher pressure than pot plants. Not sure if you can vary the pressure between the outlets. Anyone got such a system installed?
Cannot you just balance between the two lines. When I had a system the small micro outlets positioned in each container or basket were adjustable or sized to give the correct output. In your case the lawn line would not be so restricter.
This topic was raised a while back under a different thread and I supplied information to the OP.

Look on ebay at Garden Irrigation Systems and you will see everything that you could require. When I had a system it didn’t include the lawn but lots of containers, baskets and spot outlets fir plants. It only came on 15 minutes or so early and late. It’s surprising how efficient they are.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buckman
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We water our garden first thing in morning before it gets to hot i use the hose pipe my wife will use the water Butt it collect water of the garage . with a watering can ;)

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
If you're away for a month the last thing you want is to water the lawn - we had a veritable wild flower meadow instead of our lawn when we returned from our recent Scottish tour, it was up to SWMBO's waist.

Oct 5, 2018
Visit site
Posted June 1
Problems with watering garden
Last September we went to Germany and Italy for a month. During the time we were away I had asked my son to water the garden for me. AS he lived some 30 miles away he could not come every day. Now September 2020 was a very warm and dry months and a consequence we lost a lot of expensive plants particularly those in pots.
We intended to visit Croatia this year for 2 months, but Covid put a stop to that however we still intend to caravan in the UK and have planned a 3 week holiday in August/September. And next year hope to re-visit Croatia
How to stop my plants from dying when we are away, my solution
1 st Purchased a Smart Wifi plug from eBay. Second purchased this from the net: 1/2 male Water Solenoid Valve 0.2-10 Bar N/Closed 5115BC, then from eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25M-40M-...ose-UK-/203349420335?var=&hash=item2f5891e92f
On the pipe work to the outside tap, I fitted the solenoid valve. Connected the power via the smart WIFI plug,. With the self-watering system fitted it to all the pots. I downloaded the app for which ever smart plug you buy, and from my phone I can turn on the water whenever I want also turn it off when finished. Use this most evening from home as the tap is at the other end of the house. Can also turn it on/off when I am away so hopefully no more dead plants.
Being a plumber, I left my existing outside tap and put another pipe outside so I can still use the existing tap in needed.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Posted June 1
Last September we went to Germany and Italy for a month. During the time we were away I had asked my son to water the garden for me. AS he lived some 30 miles away he could not come every day. Now September 2020 was a very warm and dry months and a consequence we lost a lot of expensive plants particularly those in pots.
We intended to visit Croatia this year for 2 months, but Covid put a stop to that however we still intend to caravan in the UK and have planned a 3 week holiday in August/September. And next year hope to re-visit Croatia
1 st Purchased a Smart Wifi plug from eBay. Second purchased this from the net: 1/2 male Water Solenoid Valve 0.2-10 Bar N/Closed 5115BC, then from eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25M-40M-...ose-UK-/203349420335?var=&hash=item2f5891e92f
On the pipe work to the outside tap, I fitted the solenoid valve. Connected the power via the smart WIFI plug,. With the self-watering system fitted it to all the pots. I downloaded the app for which ever smart plug you buy, and from my phone I can turn on the water whenever I want also turn it off when finished. Use this most evening from home as the tap is at the other end of the house. Can also turn it on/off when I am away so hopefully no more dead plants.
Being a plumber, I left my existing outside tap and put another pipe outside so I can still use the existing tap in needed.
Sounds like a very useful bit of kit i hope you enjoy yours well done in fitting it yourself :)

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
We have a Hozelock watering system. At the present time it's set to water at dusk, each day, for 30 minutes. All parameters are adjustable. It is powered by a 9v battery. Installing the hose network and jets is a bit tedious but once installed it works very well. We have a security camera covering the garden and I can look at this on the phone anytime, or if I am alerted. We don't have a lawn, but I wouldn't use a watering system on it if we did, however a sprinkler would work perfectly well if it was incorporated. There is no need to worry about pressure differences as the system should work perfectly well for drippers and sprinkler. Have a look at Hozelock web site. (Recently I read of a caravanner who has made up an on/off valve which he can operate with his phone in preference to relying on a timer. His idea is to save watering when it's raining - I like that).

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
I like the sound of these - we're not going away for any extended period, I'm just lazy!

Just a thought - where would you stand if you had one of these systems, and while you were away a hosepipe ban came in? Not being contentious, but one of our neighbours would leap at the chance to grass us up (no pun intended)

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Our son normally waters our garden he use the tap outside with the watering can so we are sorted when we go away in August if it is still hot ;)

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
Just a thought - where would you stand if you had one of these systems, and while you were away a hosepipe ban came in? Not being contentious, but one of our neighbours would leap at the chance to grass us up (no pun intended)
[/QUOTE]
You would stand.....in the Dock!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
BB, If you have a water Butt, we lay a perforated hose pipe along the flower beds from an 80 litre ??? , that trickle flow the water feed, works well. A timmed water tap , hozelock, timmer work on Tomatoes etc , but tywrapes on every joint.
I would put plants that survive in desserts, but MRs H says otherwise.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
BB, If you have a water Butt, we lay a perforated hose pipe along the flower beds from an 80 litre ??? , that trickle flow the water feed, works well. A timmed water tap , hozelock, timmer work on Tomatoes etc , but tywrapes on every joint.
I would put plants that survive in desserts, but MRs H says otherwise.
Hutch the water butt next to the garage might give a go with the hose pipe save me from watering Thanks for the information (y)

Oct 5, 2018
Visit site
It's alright to use a timer, but what if it rains., you are watering the garden when it does not need it, my method i can decide when to water depending on the weather

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
....... my whole garden has been planned so that it can be left for up to 8 weeks since we are often away for that length of time. .....pre. C19!!!!
Borders are shrubs that look after themselves .....north facing front lawn replaced with pea shingle so no mowing.....secluded back lawn never watered and just left to grow if away.
Computer controlled Hozlock water system to front and back garden for pot plants and 3 to 4 plants that don't cope with dry conditions .....has worked well for 20 years of summer away trips.

Where there's a will there's a way:)

Reactions: Hutch
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
....... my whole garden has been planned so that it can be left for up to 8 weeks since we are often away for that length of time. .....pre. C19!!!!
Borders are shrubs that look after themselves .....north facing front lawn replaced with pea shingle so no mowing.....secluded back lawn never watered and just left to grow if away.
Computer controlled Hozlock water system to front and back garden for pot plants and 3 to 4 plants that don't cope with dry conditions .....has worked well for 20 years of summer away trips.

Where there's a will there's a way:)
Bill eight weeks what holiday you have do you go on a cruise :)

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
Posted June 1
Absolutely brilliant! I have only just seen this post, and it's probably the one I referred to in my post a couple of days ago. I will investigate this further as I think its spot on, and if I can, I will copy it. Using a camera with Wi-Fi enables watering to be monitored.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Longer summer trips for us have been fly / drives.
......have done a few long summer trips with caravan to near continent with one right up through Norway :)

Winter trips ........no need to bother about watering the garden ;)

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Longer summer trips for us have been fly / drives.
......have done a few long summer trips with caravan to near continent with one right up through Norway :)

Winter trips ........no need to bother about watering the garden ;)
Bill That one place i like to go is Norway my parents went to see the Fjords they said it was great place to stop and explore ;)

TRENDING THREADS