We just don’t know how lucky we are.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Like a lot of my age group, when we were younger, making ends meet, buying food, putting a roof over everyone’s head was difficult. Something that was even more difficult for previous generations. I am no doubt saying what is obvious, but it was brought home to me today.

The 1921 census is now available on line. I found that my paternal grandfather had passed a few years earlier aged just 29. Leaving a wife and 3 children, my father being the eldest. The 1921 census shows that at the age of just 13 he was working as a spinner. As was grandmother. But both were on strike. So no money coming in. My little research shows workers were striking to try to avoid wage cuts. Also linked to the depressed times and the miners strikes.

• 1921: Serious trade depression and slump in coal exports. The government formally returns the coal mines to private ownership on 31 March 1921. The mineowners demand wage cuts, and in response the Miners' Federation of Great Britain calls on the Triple Alliance to engage in strike action and halt the movement of coal. On 15 April (Black Friday) the miners' strike is not supported by the other parties in the 'Triple Alliance', and the Alliance collapses. The miners fight on alone until July, when they return to work defeated.
An eye opener.

John

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
As I understand things. Each census is released on i’s 100th anniversary. Hence, 1921 has just been released. But there will not be one for 1931 as it was destroyed in a fire. And the 1941 one did not happen due to the war.

But the only web site that can carry the 1921 census is ‘find my past’.

I am a long way from being an expert. But I think you can search them for free then pay for any you want to download or print.

It’s very interesting to get into. We are members of Ancestry. The software is first class at helping you search and build a family tree. But to do so will also require extra ‘work’, like looking around graveyards and county records. Some years ago, we did some work on my wife’s side. Went to Chester records office. So unbelievably helpful. Then to an old address in Northwich only to find her ancestor in about 1880 had built the whole row of terraces with a plaque in the middle. The small church at the end of the road provided even more info. We then went into the middle of town and around a large graveyard. Found more info and then found the Vicar and had a long and interesting chat.

We also searched Merchant Navy records. Found out her dad had been torpedoed a couple of times on the North Atlantic convoys.

It is incredible just what info is available, even for free.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
As I understand things. Each census is released on i’s 100th anniversary. Hence, 1921 has just been released. But there will not be one for 1931 as it was destroyed in a fire. And the 1941 one did not happen due to the war.

I am a long way from being an expert. But I think you can search them for free then pay for any you want to download or print.

It’s very interesting to get into. We are members of Ancestry. The software is first class at helping you search and build a family tree. But to do so will also require extra ‘work’, like looking around graveyards and county records. Some years ago, we did some work on my wife’s side. Went to Chester records office. So unbelievably helpful. Then to an old address in Northwich only to find her ancestor in about 1880 had built the whole row of terraces with a plaque in the middle. The small church at the end of the road provided even more info. We then went into the middle of town and around a large graveyard. Found more info and then found the Vicar and had a long and interesting chat.

We also searched Merchant Navy records. Found out her dad had been torpedoed a couple of times on the North Atlantic convoys.

John
Thank you. I will look at that site, although others I have looked at offer free searches, or trials but the information available is then very limited unless you subscribe. My wife’s brother, who died 20;years ago did quite a lot of research, but that was when he had to tour the country and visit Kew. We still have all his papers some of which have codes that would challenge Bletchley Park.

PS I am buying my wife a subscription to Ancestry for her forthcoming birthday. Hence my interest.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Thank you. I will look at that site, although others I have looked at offer free searches, or trials but the information available is then very limited unless you subscribe. My wife’s brother, who died 20;years ago did quite a lot of research, but that was when he had to tour the country and visit Kew. We still have all his papers some of which have codes that would challenge Bletchley Park.

PS I am buying my wife a subscription to Ancestry for her forthcoming birthday. Hence my interest.

We have found that a subscription can be shared if you trust the other person of course. An account does not limit you to work on just 1 tree. I think it might be unlimited.

In that way, more than one household can work on the same tree or different independent trees.

John

May 7, 2012
Visit site
My wife is an ardent family tree researcher although other than confirming where people were living at the 2021 census she has not added anything so far. Her family come from both sides of the social divide with her maternal grandfather, a miner, being employed by a relation on her fathers side.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Anyone looking to trace ancestors would do well to trace the male ancestors because with the female line is more difficult due to surname changes whenever they married so much more difficult, I’ve got my family tree back to 1800 and something but I can’t take the credit for it, my cousin did all of it and passed it to me, absolutely fascinating to look through all the copies of birth and death certificates, marriage certificates etc etc

BP

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

John
Sadly although I have a copy of my grandfather's birth certificate according to both sites he does not exist although he was born in Tendring, Essex in 1888.
He was not in the UK for 1901 census or any other UK census. Think I will give them a miss as not very accurate so I would be wasting my time. Not sure if any other sites have better information?

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Very sadly, we don’t need to look to the past to know how lucky we are; if we look at the plight of ordinary people in the Yemen or Afghanistan today, to realise how awful life can be. Sorry folks, just feeling helpless at the enormity of human misery and my inability to do anything about it. Enjoy what we have, and best not to winge too much.
mel

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Very sadly, we don’t need to look to the past to know how lucky we are; if we look at the plight of ordinary people in the Yemen or Afghanistan today, to realise how awful life can be. Sorry folks, just feeling helpless at the enormity of human misery and my inability to do anything about it. Enjoy what we have, and best not to winge too much.
mel
Whilst as individuals we are very limited in what we can do, but organisations like MSF, and DEC are one way of using our fortunate positions to help those less fortunate.

Reactions: Jcloughie and Mel
Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
We can go to around 1776 with my dads family who some of them are in a church grave just 15 miles away from us we have yet to visit because it had closed many years ago and just being "worked" on now. Because of my age I did know my grand parents and have photos of their wedding 1885. On my Mothers side we have photos of grand parents plus one of me sitting with my Mum 1936 on a motorbike . One coincidence on my mothers side was the males all were in the RAF including my sister and I.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
My wife has traced some of her family back into the 18th century as well. I have one done by my late Aunt which goes back further, but she used to travel around the country using church and other records rather than the internet.
What you must be aware of is the skeletons you can turn up and my wife's one has plenty, as I have said they do not have enough cupboards to keep them all in. There are high points though, with one attending the 1902 coronation.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Just got some info from my brother. It seems that my great, great etc grandmother on my father's side way back in the 1600's was a French Huguenot who fled to the Dutch Cape Colony, They were originally from Suevres in France.
By coincidence my grand mother on my father's side was born in Worcester in the Cape Colony and we now live in Worcester in the UK.

Quite interesting reading up on descendents as a lot of info on Wikitree.

Reactions: Jcloughie

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts