We Need to Replace our Tow car

Oct 25, 2020
Visit site
We have our hearts set on a new Bailey Alicanto Grande Sinatra and have just sold our 16year old van which we towed with a BMW 330d. It tows like a dream but unfortunately isn’t a match for the Bailey which has an MRO of 1441 and MTPLM of 1596. We’re hoping to buy a second hand 4WD SUV and would really appreciate some help and advice. There are just the 2 of us, so we don’t need/want a huge vehicle though obviously need one with adequate kerb weight. We’re buying both car and van for the long haul so want to get it right. Budget for car is around £20,000 . We’ve looked at an X3 which would give us 87%. As I say we’d really appreciate some help and advice.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I have no doubt that their a quite a few SUV’s which would suit and be very capable tow cars. But I suggest you consider my experience before you spend your money.

Try to get extended test drives of SUV candidates. And look at them from a point of view of, would you be happy with them as everyday cars?

I have had two SUV’s. Both towed extremely well but now we have the Volvo estate. (Other makes are available). The ride is far far better.

Perhaps you should think about a large estate car. But if an SUV is your thing, go for it.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Not too clear what size range you are considering. A Sportage/Tucson might suit your needs if the weight ratio is okay and the towing limit meets your MTPLM. With your experience 85% isn’t an absolute criteria, and particularly the Sportage is a popular tow car. At £20 k you would get a very good element of the 7/5 year warranty. I think Kia are still reinstating the 7 year warranty if it’s a Kia approved car under two years and 20k miles. That’s confidence in the product.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 might be suitable but not to sure what size you are after but i heard they are brilliant and be a great match for the new caravan you have your hearts set on

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2020
Visit site
I have no doubt that their a quite a few SUV’s which would suit and be very capable tow cars. But I suggest you consider my experience before you spend your money.

Try to get extended test drives of SUV candidates. And look at them from a point of view of, would you be happy with them as everyday cars?

I have had two SUV’s. Both towed extremely well but now we have the Volvo estate. (Other makes are available). The ride is far far better.

Perhaps you should think about a large estate car. But if an SUV is your thing, go for it.

John
Thank you, really appreciate the advice and will take that on board. We’re retired and do very little everyday driving so it’ll probably be more of a tow car. Hoping to do some test drives next week but need to be selective due to the current situation. Thanks again.

Oct 25, 2020
Visit site
Not too clear what size range you are considering. A Sportage/Tucson might suit your needs if the weight ratio is okay and the towing limit meets your MTPLM. With your experience 85% isn’t an absolute criteria, and particularly the Sportage is a popular tow car. At £20 k you would get a very good element of the 7/5 year warranty. I think Kia are still reinstating the 7 year warranty if it’s a Kia approved car under two years and 20k miles. That’s confidence in the product.
Thank you, yes the Sportage is lovely but kerb weight is way too light unfortunately.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
There's probably too many options out there without narrowing it down a bit - do you want a premium/mainstream/budget brand - do you want sports or comfort - do you want lots of gizmos, etc

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Thank you, really appreciate the advice and will take that on board. We’re retired and do very little everyday driving so it’ll probably be more of a tow car. Hoping to do some test drives next week but need to be selective due to the current situation. Thanks again.

Your very welcome. All choices turn out to be a set of compromises. My compromise suits me as it also a good tow car. Just wish I had better head room for getting in and out ☹.

John

Oct 25, 2020
Visit site
Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 might be suitable but not to sure what size you are after but i heard they are brilliant and be a great match for the new caravan you have your hearts set on
Thank you, yes that seems to be one to consider though maybe bigger than I’d prefer but it’s all about a suitable match.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Just wondering if you are dismissing your existing car too readily?

There being a whole range of BMW 330ds, some ranging up to 1800kgs towing capacity, what specifically about yours makes it not a suitable match?

The real kerb weight, as opposed to the often quoted minimum ought IMO keep you under a 100% "towing ratio". The innate sporting credentials and low CofG of your vehicle, would give me confidence to work way above the 85% figure.

Edit: I would add I would only tow anything nowadays providing it had ATC, taking advantages of the technology available to us. Whatever the ratio involved, they can all go "wrong" under the "right" circumstances. With ATC the chances of coping with that are far greater than any sensible ratio differences might bring.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2020
Visit site
There's probably too many options out there without narrowing it down a bit - do you want a premium/mainstream/budget brand - do you want sports or comfort - do you want lots of gizmos, etc
Primarily want a good match, would prefer to stay within 85% and have been very happy with the BMW

Oct 25, 2020
Visit site
Just wondering if you are dismissing your existing car too readily?

There being a whole range of BMW 330ds, some ranging up to 1800kgs towing capacity, what specifically about yours makes it not a suitable match?

The real kerb weight, as opposed to the often quoted minimum ought IMO keep you under a 100% "towing ratio". The innate sporting credentials and low CofG of your vehicle, would give me confidence to work way above the 85% figure.

Edit: I would add I would only tow anything nowadays providing it had ATC, taking advantages of the technology available to us. Whatever the ratio involved, they can all go "wrong" under the "right" circumstances, with ATC the chances of coping with that are far greater than any sensible ratio differences might bring.
Thank you, kerb weight of my BMW is 1610 so definitely wouldn’t feel comfortable with it, it’s a dream car to drive otherwise but I’m prepared to sacrifice it for a lovely new van 😊

Reactions: fenderjazz
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
On our last outing at i met a couple who had this he said it was great
BMW X3 & Bailey Pegasus GT65 Ancona 6 berth Caravan
They went for this model caravan because they have grandkids
But i think it would cope with what you are after

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Thank you, kerb weight of my BMW is 1610 so definitely wouldn’t feel comfortable with it, it’s a dream car to drive otherwise but I’m prepared to sacrifice it for a lovely new van 😊

Okay, fine its absolutely your call. However, IMO you can chase an 85% ratio, particularly with SUVs, and end up with a decidedly less inherently stable set up, than with getting the other fundamentals right. Little about SUVs other than their weight are positive towing stability contributors.

Reactions: JezzerB
Oct 25, 2020
Visit site
On our last outing at i met a couple who had this he said it was great
BMW X3 & Bailey Pegasus GT65 Ancona 6 berth Caravan
They went for this model caravan because they have grandkids
But i think it would cope with what you are after
Thank you that’s great to hear, we’re in the market too for taking grandkids along 😊

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Obviously you are looking for a car that is genuinely capable of towing the caravan, But like JCLoughie I strongly advise you to consider if you really need an SUV or 4x4.

Look at the number of hours you drive with and without the caravan in tow. then consider if you are only doing 10% towing, why compromise your solo driving bu having a less efficient and probably less comfortable car just becasue you tow for a few hours? It make more sense to look at a capable comfortable car, and compromise for the towing hours.

In reality very few caravanners actually ever need to use the 4x4 capabilities, normal two wheel drive is usually more than sufficient.

The 85% is for guidance only, it does not take into account the improved technical capability of modern vehicles into consideration, so its is not a magic bullet that makes outfits more towable or safer. I'm not suggesting you should ignore the principle of keeping the trailer lighter than the tow vehicle, its just something of a sledge hammer to crack a nut.

The advice (For what its worth) does go on to suggest that experienced caravanners might consider a towing ratio of up to 100%.

In all towing activities it relies on eth driver being careful and ensuring the vehicles are in good condition, and driving in accordance with the prevailing conditions.

Might I suggest hanging on to the BMW, and trying it. If you don't like it then consider changing.

Reactions: JezzerB and JTQ
Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
I have the Santa fe 2.2 auto and it tows like a dream(somewhere around 76%with our Bailey Unicorn Cadiz).
What I really like(especially when the grandchildren come away with us),is the huge boot.
Ours is the 7 seater with self levelling suspension but never use the 3rd.row of seats.
Around town solo,I'm getting mid thirties mpg.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Obviously you are looking for a car that is genuinely capable of towing the caravan, But like JCLoughie I strongly advise you to consider if you really need an SUV or 4x4.

Look at the number of hours you drive with and without the caravan in tow. then consider if you are only doing 10% towing, why compromise your solo driving bu having a less efficient and probably less comfortable car just becasue you tow for a few hours? It make more sense to look at a capable comfortable car, and compromise for the towing hours.

In reality very few caravanners actually ever need to use the 4x4 capabilities, normal two wheel drive is usually more than sufficient.

The 85% is for guidance only, it does not take into account the improved technical capability of modern vehicles into consideration, so its is not a magic bullet that makes outfits more towable or safer. I'm not suggesting you should ignore the principle of keeping the trailer lighter than the tow vehicle, its just something of a sledge hammer to crack a nut.

The advice (For what its worth) does go on to suggest that experienced caravanners might consider a towing ratio of up to 100%.

In all towing activities it relies on eth driver being careful and ensuring the vehicles are in good condition, and driving in accordance with the prevailing conditions.

Might I suggest hanging on to the BMW, and trying it. If you don't like it then consider changing.
I agree with your recommendation to try the 330d first, but I think you are a bit wide of the mark regarding SUV comfort. Unlike early SUVs that were ladder chassis and genuine off road cars, what many now call SUVs are in reality very road oriented, and as such can be supremely comfortable to drive, and fast road cars too. But even the Discovery range can show a clean pair of heels to many other marques. Times have moved on in vehicle design and dynamics.

Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
A while back I had a 530 and that was a fantastic towcar, powerful and stable.
The Q5 I've just moved on wasn't much of a towcar and not very comfy (my opinion only)
The shogun I've just bought is so comfy, power aplenty and in the 40 miles Ive towed so far gets the job done superbly well. This was the same for the last shogun a few years back.
My advice would be to try the 330, after that buy the car that suits you and your needs.

Kev

Reactions: WayneS
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have never owned a BMW, but I have driven a 320 330 and a 520 on occasions, and been in several others. I found them to be some of the finest solo vehicles a view shared by many pundits and ordinary drivers alike.

I doubt the OP would find any SUV to be as satisfying as his 330 solo driving. Unfortunately that is model he will be comparing anything else to.

I agree some of the more recent SUV's are improving their handling, but unless you are spending megabucks on top end SUV's, a saloon or even an estate BMW will have the edge regards solo driving.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I have never owned a BMW, but I have driven a 320 330 and a 520 on occasions, and been in several others. I found them to be some of the finest solo vehicles a view shared by many pundits and ordinary drivers alike.

I doubt the OP would find any SUV to be as satisfying as his 330 solo driving. Unfortunately that is model he will be comparing anything else to.

I agree some of the more recent SUV's are improving their handling, but unless you are spending megabucks on top end SUV's, a saloon or even an estate BMW will have the edge regards solo driving.
Car buyers have a wide range of requirements as far as driving dynamics go - some prefer sporty handling while others place ride comfort as a priority, with all points in between covered.

Modern SUVs offer good ride comfort, at the expense of sporty handling, by virtue of their longer travel softer suspension - we don't know what the OP wants/needs in this regard.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts