Wearing masks in shops

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
The government said a while ago that we should all wear masks when entering a shop.
I agree with this decision(although I find them extremly uncomfortable).
If it helps to contain the risk of infection,thats great advice.
The one thing that puzzles me though.......whilst shopping at my local,large supermarket,not one of the staff are wearing masks!!!!!
Ok....the staff on the tills are behind screens,but what about the "happy to help"staff....the staff re-stocking the shelves.....the staff going around picking orders for delivery to customers......the cleaners.....and even the security guard sat at his desk by the entrance/exit doors.
Yes.....we shoppers are protected from the non wearing mask staff,but are they protected amongst each other?
Surely its possible that there is a chance that they could infect a colleague and transmit to someone at their home and then it gradually gets "passed around" and continues to infect others.
Any members thoughts on this?

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Thats fair enough otherclive.
I just feel that there is a possibility of further transmission amongst the staff,and possibly start another "spike" in that area.
Maybe im being a bit too cautious.🤔

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thats fair enough otherclive.
I just feel that there is a possibility of further transmission amongst the staff,and possibly start another "spike" in that area.
Maybe im being a bit too cautious.🤔
There doesn’t appear to have been any supermarket spikes akthough in Swindon some Tesco cases are thought to have been connected with friends or family contacts at a spike in an Iceland warehouse. Inter community transmission.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Shop staff are not legally obliged to wear masks, I forget the logic as it was explained. But one of my grandsons does in the shop he works in, as it is a requirement by Farmfoods.

John

Reactions: JezzerB
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Same applies to people serving you food or drinks as it seems no need to wear masks. I have seen children in shops not wearing masks although they are with a parent? I wonder if the wearing of masks will cut down on the number of flu cases this coming winter? That would be a good trade off.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I hope so. Masks are basically protection for those around the wearer as they contain most of the moisture the wearer breathes out, or if they cough or sneeze, which seems to be the most common way of spreading the virus.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Same applies to people serving you food or drinks as it seems no need to wear masks. I have seen children in shops not wearing masks although they are with a parent? I wonder if the wearing of masks will cut down on the number of flu cases this coming winter? That would be a good trade off.

Children under 12 years of age are exempt from wearing masks and this is in line with WHO advice. Its a mix of medical epidemiological reasons and also that children can be susceptible to anxiety if they cannot see the parent or adult facial expressions.

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
So far in Australia winter flu cases have been low and its thought that this is due to the Coronavirus precautions.
It is interesting that in the week to 7 August the ONS reported that 152 people died of Covid compared to 1013 who died of flu, and the curves are still diverging. Who has had the new season flu jab yet?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The face mask regulations are a farce, We are told by some that masks don't make much of a difference, and then by others they do! I can fully appreciate the effectiveness of mask will depend on circumstances, but there can be no doubt that they do make a difference even if in low risk environments its small.

There is still a large majority of the UK population that has not contracted C19, we are seeing local hot spots (often shown to be related to poor social distancing by inconsiderate people) so it is still vitally important to starve the virus of transmission routes.

It has to make sense to do anything that reduces possible exposure. and I agree that where businesses have to engage closely with the public, it would make sense for their employees also have to wear masks.

Here's a thought- A business might be held liable if a an employee or customer contracts covid during interacting with the public and PPE was not obligatory.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
It has to make sense to do anything that reduces possible exposure.

So it therefore follows that the regs are not a farce!

I agree they are not perfect but what is, they have to be general in order to cover many situations.

Masks are basically protection for those around the wearer as they contain most of the moisture the wearer breathes out, or if they cough or sneeze, which seems to be the most common way of spreading the virus.

Many still don’t understand this logic.

John

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
There is still a large majority of the UK population that has not contracted C19, we are seeing local hot spots (often shown to be related to poor social distancing by inconsiderate people) so it is still vitally important to starve the virus of transmission routes.

Yes. And its interesting to look at the age range for current sufferers.

However, let's not forget that many many people are unable to socially distance by virtue of the fact that their living conditions don't allow it. Spikes, small and large, have often been focused on areas of social deprivation.

Perhaps there needs to be greater pressure on those who now flaunt the rules with campaigns by the government and media. Not all younger people are simply holding two fingers up at society - I'm sure there are many who would respond to pressure.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm not going to point the finger specifically at young people, becasue its not that precise, but I do think there is a perception about the severity and impact that C19 has on its victims. From fairly early on in the pandemic, it was openly suggested that children and young people did not suffer too badly if they contracted the virus, statistically that may be true, but for the few that bucked the trend the consequences have been major.

As the age demographic increases, it does seem on average the symptoms do be come worse, and if there are other underlying conditions, that complicates matters further. But as for the youngest groups, when older people develop the virus, the symptoms are very variable. The headline conditions are well known, as are the morbidity rates, but what is less well known are the depth and dangers of the whole range of symptoms, and how in quite a proportion of survivors there have been life changing symptoms with long term - probably life long complications.

Unlike the flu's we see where there is a similar level of morbidity to C19. Where as (if we survive it) we tend make a pretty good recovery from it. But of course we have vaccines and remedies to relieve the worst effects of flu, But present situation with C19 is very very different.

,With C19 we still don't know the impacts it has on the whole body or mind, but from the evidence we do have, we know it has far wider range of consequential issues, and apparently strokes are rising up the list.

The public need to be told this, if nothing else to shock them into treating the precautionary measures with the respect they need.

Its one thing to be cavalier about your own health, but when so many actions of one individual can raise the risk of transmission to others, everyone needs to vigilant and not only socially distance but to take their social responsibilities with the greatest care.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Went to pick some food up at the local supermarket there me in my wheelchair with my mask on and other customers just walking in without them i think they are not taking this Covid19 serious enough

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The face mask regulations are a farce, We are told by some that masks don't make much of a difference, and then by others they do! I can fully appreciate the effectiveness of mask will depend on circumstances, but there can be no doubt that they do make a difference even if in low risk environments its small.

It has to make sense to do anything that reduces possible exposure. and I agree that where businesses have to engage closely with the public, it would make sense for their employees also have to wear masks.

Here's a thought- A business might be held liable if a an employee or customer contracts covid during interacting with the public and PPE was not obligatory.
How do you readily prove which member of the public passed it on or vice versa? In Swindon HSE. inspectors have been doing spot checks on businesses to assess their Covid compliance but even that is not an absolute guarantee that an employee will not contract it. Because until track and trace follow the trail you wouldn’t know where the employee caught it. But it is a welcome assurance approach.

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
What I would like to see is more policing of people not wearing face coverings in shop's. What's the point of putting up a sign at the entrance only for it to be ignored by the minority. It's also farcical when people have the mask over their mouth with their nose uncovered or even walking around with the mask under their chin. The one way systems in some shop's is also totally ignored by some but nobody seems to care. I've made my views known to quite a few people walking directly towards me going the wrong way. What's up with people?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
What I would like to see is more policing of people not wearing face coverings in shop's. What's the point of putting up a sign at the entrance only for it to be ignored by the minority. It's also farcical when people have the mask over their mouth with their nose uncovered or even walking around with the mask under their chin. The one way systems in some shop's is also totally ignored by some but nobody seems to care. I've made my views known to quite a few people walking directly towards me going the wrong way. What's up with people?
I totally agree your last sentence. Policing by shop staff isn’t really feasible given the way some customers can, and have responded, in shops and in transport. As you say it’s basically down to the social responsibility of people.

Reactions: MikeyW
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
i would agree with you i was following the one way system in this supermarket in my wheelchair & Mask i thought there was a 1m distance he was very near to me Why do some follow the rules and others don"t care .. This is to help them not to catch the virus .

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
It is the inconsistencies that allow shop staff not wear them, but the public has to! that is the farce!

In a Covid secure work place the employer has some control over the staff, their state of health and the training provided. They have zero control over the customers. Hence the current ruling.

As I said, before Farmfoods have chosen that their staff must wear masks. The danger there is it becomes an excuse or an 'easy get out' for the employer as they can appear to be doing the right thing, but it could easily be a lazy way out.

John

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
i have seen children over 12 with there friends in shops with no masks on . i thought it was to protect them from getting the covid19 .

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
i have seen children over 12 with there friends in shops with no masks on . i thought it was to protect them from getting the covid19 .

No, the masks are to help keep others safe, This previous post put it very well.

I hope so. Masks are basically protection for those around the wearer as they contain most of the moisture the wearer breathes out, or if they cough or sneeze, which seems to be the most common way of spreading the virus.

John

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
We had a week in the caravan in Weymouth last week, at the Morrisons supermarket that we briefly visited the majority of customers wore masks inside the store.
The pavements and beaches were very crowded with social distancing ignored completely.
The site (East Fleet) was very good in terms of cleanliness and social distancing.
I don't enjoy wearing a face mask, as a COPD patient I could probably get away with not wearing one but I don't.
This is because I wouldn't want to put anyone at risk or to make them feel uncomfortable around me.
I'm sitting in the showroom of my local Kia dealership wearing my mask as I write this while I wait for my Sorento to have some recall work completed.
The staff are not wearing masks but customers are asked to so I'm complying.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts