Web Site Woe's

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Oh dear,

Someone has apparently tinkered with the web site again, and it's driving me crackers!

Windows 10
Chrome

The pages keeps jumping around an resizing as it loads AGAIN. Most pages take around a second to settle before you can start to read or focus on where you may need to place the mouse.

I am concerned that the rapidly changing brightness and jumping could be a epilepsy trigger.

Since this change we now have a greater proportion of the screen area apparently given over to advertising space. This has meant the space allocated to the forum pages has been reduced, and this has reduced the number of characters that can be displayed in each line of text. It has never been generous in the past, but its now even less conducive to read or indeed compose.

I thoughI would check out over search engines to see if teh same thing happened.

Firefox
The flashing issue is not so pronounced, and its not so rapid it actually takes linger to load. The forum work space shrinks

Bing
Works in the same way as Firefox.

Advertising is of course part of the service you offer, and it is as far as I am concerned a necessary evil, and whilst I tolerate passive adverts (like in a news paper) there are an increasing number of other web sites that allow active adverts, which pop up over parts of the screen you are trying to read, and even worse start flashing at you or playing a video. Please, please, please do not allow any of those such adverts on this site.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I can't (legally) offer any advice about the adverts, but the jumping around could be due to a difference in performance between your internet connection and the device that you are using to access the forum.
These forum pages contain a lot of information which has to arrive via your internet connection to be processed by your device, e.g. a phone, tablet, laptop etc;
If your internet connection is slow, your device is trying to process information via mouse clicks, key strokes etc which tell the device what to do.
Your commands can become backlogged so that the information arrives at a slower speed than it can be delivered.
If your internet speed is ok but your computer is running slowly a similar thing takes place, the commands become backlogged until the device can process the information, and this can cause jumping and moving of pages.
If the forum pages were previously ok using the same device and internet connection the chances are that your device is running slowly.
Click Here for Microsoft links which could improve the performance of your device.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I always use my mobile for this forum and did notice some dis colour last week , my screen was going slightly duller and I thought was my phone going into save battery mode so now you come to mention it ! but it all seems to be ok now.

Jan 20, 2018
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
I always use my mobile for this forum and did notice some dis colour last week , my screen was going slightly duller and I thought was my phone going into save battery mode so now you come to mention it ! but it all seems to be ok now.
I aslo sent a post about when i write on here it doesnt come out as i type it ,when i hit submit it changes.even now the post has gone too?

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
zoaman said:
Craigyoung said:
I aslo sent a post about when i write on here it doesnt come out as i type it ,when i hit submit it changes.even now the post has gone too?

What post ?!? :p

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
zoaman said:
Craigyoung said:

I took the post down because it didn't make any sense, was very difficult for members to read and added nothing to the information stored on the forum, it simply diverted attention from the query in the O.P.
It looked as though you'd purposely written gobbledegook as some sort of joke.
If that was not the case and your phone produces posts with no capital letters at the beginning of sentences and random spaces in the middle of words in spite of what you'd written then with the greatest respect it's probably time to bin that phone.

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm really sorry if some of you are experiencing problems with our website. I've noticed no difference in performance here, and have received no reports of any issues other than in this thread, but I will pass any specific queries on, as technical feedback is always appreciated.

Jan 20, 2018
Visit site
Parksy said:
zoaman said:
Craigyoung said:

I took the post down because it didn't make any sense, was very difficult for members to read and added nothing to the information stored on the forum, it simply diverted attention from the query in the O.P.
It looked as though you'd purposely written gobbledegook as some sort of joke.
If that was not the case and your phone produces posts with no capital letters at the beginning of sentences and random spaces in the middle of words in spite of what you'd written then with the greatest respect it's probably time to bin that phone.
I had to add my post onto the op as i wrote completely new post and i all turned out incoorect after clicking sumit.then it never even came out on the forum section anyway.hopefully you can read this and it gets recongnised.also this is done via my pc and not phone as in craigyoungs post.

Jan 20, 2018
Visit site
I just ouble checked my writing and et again its still missing letters and words from my posting.
jst a double
qwertyuiop
asdfghjkl
zxcvbnm
are all correct and in my post before submit

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Lizzie.

I have not changed any settings but to day it all seems to have improved and back to the way it used to be.

I have noted that the problem seemed to start when the background advertising area changed to a mostly yellow panel. But today that panel has changed to very pale blue with no adverts showing at all.

I did not get the same problem with any other websites I used it was specific to PC Forum, so I suspect it was something your techies had done, rather than my system.

However the important thing is it does seem to be better.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
zoaman said:
I just ouble checked my writing and et again its still missing letters and words from my posting.
jst a double
qwertyuiop
asdfghjkl
zxcvbnm

If you are using your pc why not set up spell checker and shut down encryption. :)

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
zoaman said:
jst a double
qwertyuiop
asdfghjkl
zxcvbnm
If your posts are missing letters the touchpad on your phone isn't working properly.
The missing letters with random full stops and no capital letters at the start of sentences are highly unlikely to be caused by software from this website.
When you write a comment, what is written in the comment box will appear on the message boards when you click the 'Submit' button.
It might be a good idea to look over your comments before you submit to check which letters are missing.
This will ensure that your comments are more easily read and more likely to receive replies.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
zoaman said:
Hi as we have joined up with some rallies for this year we are looking to poss go off grid on some of them.We have a been looking at some pure(true) sine wave inverter.Our van is fitted with 2 x 100 watt solar panel.
I also have a sine wave genny but not fused on taking it,weight and smells of fumes puts me off a little.
So i would be looking for something in the regeon of 2000w /4000 max rating.
If cold the heating would be run on gas and fridge.but thing like tv non 12v(flat screen 24") and lighting,water pump .incl showers.so could be on a little while pumping water.
Also how are you running yours.back thru to the ehu lead(i would have to turn the charger off) so all the plugs work inside the van.or just a extention lead from the main inverter unit? although this would not look professional.
Thoughts please! and recommendations on make models.as didnt want a cheap eastern one.Although most probably do come from there.

zoaman said:
Thanks for the information.I do have quite a bit of payload left in the caravan.and as said the solar power unit can be adjusted to % for the connection of 2 batteries.it just that there is not the ideal place to have a second battery fitted.Basically it would need to be either under the bed or cooker in a suitable container.The later would be the ideal as it over the twin axles but there the gas.the first is also ideal but behind the axles.and at 25kg is not the best.So as stated i can put a ssecond battery in the car and and rig up a permanant lead from the truma unit.and just connect it when needed.but will also have to get a inverter for a 240v supply. Im thinking for all the extra work ect.is it worth it just for a tv really?

zoaman said:
Yes i thought of a 2000w to be well within its limits.but as prof has suggested its not effecient to do this,so a lower watt would be suffice.Its not really about the watts it more about the model and has any one used /tested a particular model and had good spec performance from it.As non pure sine waves and modified are not best for delicate electrics.So im looking for a tried and tested model. as didnt want to run it back thru the vans system and poss destroy the van components.Ive even looked a another battery but then theres the dreaded weight.As i can split the charge in % with our solar unit.The battery is a 110ah so is it good but enough for a week or more???
Why not use the same device that you were using to submit these earlier comments Zoaman?
There doesn't seem to be any problems such as you've described here.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
LizziePope said:
I'm really sorry if some of you are experiencing problems with our website. I've noticed no difference in performance here, and have received no reports of any issues other than in this thread, but I will pass any specific queries on, as technical feedback is always appreciated.

Hello Lizzie,
Thank goodness the site has returned to normal.
I did send feedback about the change that took place where the yellow advert for Raymond James seemed to overwhelm the forum and reduce the actual forum part to the extent that some of the replies had bits cut off them.
Now that the yellow has gone and the background is the light blue everything has returned to normal.

Jan 20, 2018
Visit site
Parksy said:
zoaman said:
Hi as we have joined up with some rallies for this year we are looking to poss go off grid on some of them.We have a been looking at some pure(true) sine wave inverter.Our van is fitted with 2 x 100 watt solar panel.
I also have a sine wave genny but not fused on taking it,weight and smells of fumes puts me off a little.
So i would be looking for something in the regeon of 2000w /4000 max rating.
If cold the heating would be run on gas and fridge.but thing like tv non 12v(flat screen 24") and lighting,water pump .incl showers.so could be on a little while pumping water.
Also how are you running yours.back thru to the ehu lead(i would have to turn the charger off) so all the plugs work inside the van.or just a extention lead from the main inverter unit? although this would not look professional.
Thoughts please! and recommendations on make models.as didnt want a cheap eastern one.Although most probably do come from there.

zoaman said:
Thanks for the information.I do have quite a bit of payload left in the caravan.and as said the solar power unit can be adjusted to % for the connection of 2 batteries.it just that there is not the ideal place to have a second battery fitted.Basically it would need to be either under the bed or cooker in a suitable container.The later would be the ideal as it over the twin axles but there the gas.the first is also ideal but behind the axles.and at 25kg is not the best.So as stated i can put a ssecond battery in the car and and rig up a permanant lead from the truma unit.and just connect it when needed.but will also have to get a inverter for a 240v supply. Im thinking for all the extra work ect.is it worth it just for a tv really?

zoaman said:
Yes i thought of a 2000w to be well within its limits.but as prof has suggested its not effecient to do this,so a lower watt would be suffice.Its not really about the watts it more about the model and has any one used /tested a particular model and had good spec performance from it.As non pure sine waves and modified are not best for delicate electrics.So im looking for a tried and tested model. as didnt want to run it back thru the vans system and poss destroy the van components.Ive even looked a another battery but then theres the dreaded weight.As i can split the charge in % with our solar unit.The battery is a 110ah so is it good but enough for a week or more???
Why not use the same device that you were using to submit these earlier comments Zoaman?
There doesn't seem to be any problems such as you've described here.[/quot

I am using the same laptop.and this only started to do this late yesterday...

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
zoaman said:

I think you should look back over all your posts. There are signs of the problems from quite early on.

It has been a particular problem with some of your posts as we have been discussing some technical issues where the wording could make a significant difference to the real meaning or intention.

We don't normally question poor spelling ( My own is poor enough) or grammar, but there are times when it needs to be unambiguous.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Thought it was my eyes at first but the background on the site seems to have gone a bit bluey in the background which is what happened last week ?(15:eek:5)

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Thought it was my eyes at first but the background on the site seems to have gone a bit bluey in the background which is what happened last week ?(15:eek:5)

Hi there. It's always been a bit blue. Are you able to share a screen shot? Thanks!

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
The title "practical caravan" on top of the page is normally blue and yellow yes ; that's not affected , it's the box where my post is drafted . Not blue backround normally Lizzy , it's normally white , gone back to being white now but next time it should happen to turn blue I'll screenshot it and email you .

Thanks .

Jan 20, 2018
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
zoaman said:

I think you should look back over all your posts. There are signs of the problems from quite early on.

It has been a particular problem with some of your posts as we have been discussing some technical issues where the wording could make a significant difference to the real meaning or intention.

We don't normally question poor spelling ( My own is poor enough) or grammar, but there are times when it needs to be unambiguous.
Yes this did happen with a earlier post and it was questioned then.i had not remebered this occasion.but it had caught my attention when i made a post approx 3 days ago.i wrote out a post and the lot disappeared after approx a day.i thought maybe a mod had removed it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts