Welcome to the new PCV forum

Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
Welcome to the new Practical Caravan forums.

The operation of the Forums is a bit different to what you've all been used to. For starters, if you haven’t yet logged in, you’ll find you need to do so with your USERNAME and password, not your email address as previously. Many of you did not have a unique user name and we’ve had to create one for you. If you find that you’re unable to log in, you should click on the link

http://www.practicalcaravan.com/user/password
to ask for a new one. You’ll be sent a one-time login, where you’ll be able to change your password and username to something more memorable (provided the username doesn’t exist already)

There are a few new things to learn:

1) Avatar uploads

- To upload your avatar, go to your 'My account' page, click 'Edit' and scroll down to the section labelled 'Picture'.

Here you can upload your picture – Maximum dimensions are 85x85 pixels and the maximum size is 30 kB – and, once you've confirmed your password, click 'save' to update your account details.

2) Picture uploads should work, too!

- To upload a picture, you'll first need to have it stored on a site such as Flickr or Picasa.

Copy the URL of the picture, then click the little 'tree' symbol on the menu bar of the Forum posting window, paste in the URL, and click the 'insert' button.
Pictures should be no wider than 400px – there’s an option to set this in that box.
More picture-posting advice in this thread.

3) Links, when typed into a Forum post, will automatically become clickable. No need to do all that HTML stuff: just type a web address, and it becomes a link.

4) To reply to a post, click the 'reply' button below the post in question. To quote the post in your answer, click 'quote' instead of reply, go to the end of the text, and after the end quote tag, which is [ /quote] start typing your reply.

Please note you can edit down the quoted text to just quote the bit you want – no point in quoting a whole post and its picture when you're only responding to one point in the post. Just ensure the bit of text has the [ quote=username ] tag in front of it, and the [ /quote ] after it.

5) To post your thoughts, click 'save' or, if you want to see how things will look before posting, click 'preview' first.

6) The 'Flag as offensive' is for anything you think the moderators should have a look at - click this button, fill out the short form it brings up, and click 'send'.

One more thing – you'll no longer be able to edit your comment once it's been replied to. Just saves arguments about who actually said what...

Lastly – in transferring the forum to our new servers, some of the content that you;ve posted in the last 24 hours has been left behind – don’t worry, it’s all safe and it should be back in place by the end of the day!

Any problems, don’t hesitate to contact us at practical.caravan@haymarket.com

Cheers!

JD

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well,,,,,,,,I am astounded and very pleased.
A new forum, looking very much better than the old one.

Despite a couple of glitches trying to log in , it all seems much more refined.

Thanks John and all the Tech team behind this move.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I to had a slight problem logging on, but the very quick responce to my email has allowed me once again to enjoy all the pluses that this new format has to offer.
With regards the photoes I will have to digest the info before submitting,

Royston

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I have to say the changes are brilliant, the site is far more asthetically pleasing ...makes life a lot easier. Looking forward to using this a lot more.

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
Wow.....and there was me thinking it would take another 2 or 3 years!!!! LOL

Looks great, well done to all the techies.

Can't see the smileys though.......... :(

Jan 8, 2008
Visit site
Thanks all. No major crises so far, so it's looking good. However, if you notice any issues do please come and tell us here - this is hopefully just the start!

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Soozeeg said:
Wow.....and there was me thinking it would take another 2 or 3 years!!!! LOL

Oh ye of little faith!

I always knew we would get a new forum as promised, and promised.... and promised..etc,etc
Well done to all concerned

Jan 14, 2008
Visit site
Hello Everybody,
I have been working in our Caravan team here at Haymarket for almost 4 years now, and been looking after our websites for the past 3. Despite a few unforseen set backs along the way, we have today launched what i think you will all agree is a site we can be really proud of!
We hope you will all contribute to the new Practical Caravan site by adding your views and experiences; to help us make it a resource that everybody who loves our great caravanning industry will fnd useful, and get a lot out of over the coming weeks, months and years.
This website has been a real work of love both from its conception all those years ago by Ken Watson, to this new site all of those years later. Many long and often sleepless nights have gone into making this webiste, and launching it today is really only the beginning of it all.
A huge thank you goes out to everyone on our technical team, however we hand it over to everyone here now, to take it onwards and upwards.
Kind regards,
Tori
Practical Caravan

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Well done to all at Haymarket Towers! The forum looks fresher and I like the other features from the clickable tabs at the top.
The reviews, advice etc will grow along with the forum and hopefully the entire website rather than only the forum will be enjoyed by the members.
I'm off to play with the little thingies at the top of this reply box to see what they do,I've just foundout that little labels appear when the mouse is hovered over them

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
If you find any smileys, Steve, let me know ;o)

And what's an anchor? (apart from being a sort of boat brake, lol).

Messy code? Is that something in need of the attentions of Kim and Aggie?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Sue
'Scuse me while I have a little furtle about with the little dust brush
It says that it cleans up messy code but I don't thing many of us will be entering code, messy or otherwise. (I seem to have found out what the x2 buttons are for anyway)
It would be nice to have the ability to change the colour and sixe of text, I think that pictures can be uploaded by clicking the little tree symbol but I'm not sure how it works yet.

Jan 8, 2008
Visit site
Images are easy. Click on the tree and in the 'Image URL' box, put the web address of an image. That means that if it's your image, you need to put the file somewhere like flickr or photobox, so that you have a link to it - you can't upload files per se.
If the images are too big, they won't display correctly - after you insert the image URL above, the dimensions will appear in the 'Dimensions' box below - if the first one is 400 or less, fine. If not, put 400 in the first box and delete the second, which means it will automatically work out the height. Make sense?
Voila:
IMG_3311small.jpg

Jan 8, 2008
Visit site
Rita said:
What you've done there Rita is, by the look of it, link to the page that the photo is on, not the photo itself. Flickr has a 'link' box beneath the photo which you can copy and paste from, but if not, right click on the picture and 'copy image location', or whatever your particular browser tells you to do, then paste that instead.

TRENDING THREADS