Well-i-Hole Campsite, Nr Manchester and THE BABY'S ARRIVED!

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi Everyone

Thanks for the information on sites near to Eastern Manchester. I thought I'd start a seperate thread to give feedback on this site and to let you know our EXCITING NEWS - We're now GRANDPARENTS.

We stayed at W-i-H from last Sunday to earlier today. It was a basic site next to a small river with views to the surrounding hills and moorland. There were EHUs, a water tap and CDP and that was it. The elderly owner lives in the farmouse opposite and was friendly and helpful. There were about 6 'vans pitched on grass in a line along the, fenced, river bank but some of these appear to be seasonals as there was not anyone at them during our stay.

Our mover means that we were able to site the 'van nose in so that we had a good view of the river. The grass was reasonably well drained despite some rain. The site is just off a quite busy minor road and so there was some road noise but this was not too intrusive. The site has a gate onto the road so it is reasonably safe in that respect.

The site costs £11 per night including electric hookup for the 'van. No charge for awning, dogs, etc.

Our only reseveration is that the CDP was a bit iffy. It consists of a domestic toilet surrounded by a low "wall" constructed from a section of large circular pipe with a water point with a hosepipe for rinsing. The only problem was that on 2 seperate occasions the "toilet" bowl was blocked and full of poo!!! Next to the toilet is a plastic dustbin lid which seems to be covering the "access point" to the CDP "septic??" tank. If one lifts that lid the tank under it is too full of poo!!! We complained to the owner when were unable to empty our toilet tank and by the time we returned later in the day it had been sorted. Not very pleasant though to say the least.

The surrounding area is very pleasant with lots of potential for walking. The canal runs nearby and it is possible to walk along the towpath to the large village of Uppermill and on to the Standedge tunnel. There are, also, several reservoirs nearby with marked walks. There are plenty of shops, pubs, etc in the nearby towns and villages.On Monday, a beautiful sunny day, we drove over Saddleworth Moor to Holmefirth and spent a pleasant day wandering around the town.

We have not had too much time to enjoy the surrounding area as we VERY PLEASED to say that our first grandchild Oluwatosin Jessica arrived safely on Tuesday evening. Mum and baby are both doing well. Tosin (her father is Nigerian if you are wondering about the name??!!) weighed in at 6lbs 9oz after a relatively short, 5 hour hour labour.

Mum and baby are both home again now and we spent some time there babysitting, making meals, shopping while Mum caught up on her sleep and Dad went to work. We extended our stay for another night to help out.

Thanks again for the site suggestions - Tosin's parents were very pleased we were nearby and able to help.

A negative update on the site. The CDP point was again blocked and "full-up" when I went to empty our toilet tank before leaving yesterday morning. I had to tow the 'van home with a partly filled tank. Fortunately only about 40 miles.

Tim

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Congratulations on your grandchild
smiley-smile.gif

May 8, 2009
Visit site
When I was in my late teens it was a great village to got for a night out, there were four pubs in the village alone (now there are only two). We used to go there most Friday & Saturday nights, and amongst it it was affectionately known as " Widear*e!

Those were the days - A good night out for a fiver...........

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the congratulations.
Sorry I should have said. W-i-H is on the outskirts of the village of Greenfield just below Saddleworth Moor.
With those toilet emptying facilities it wouldn't do for it to have beene located in Broadbottom!! LOL.
Tim

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts