Whale Fresh Water Surge Dampner

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Good evening peeps

Might have been covered before, however could any of you answer this question, i have blown two water pumps not sure why, checked the system through and cannot see an issue, however there is a Water Surge Dampner, I have had the caravan for three years and not replaced this, would this be an issue?

Look forward to your answers.

Davev

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
it seems, that for some unknown reason the pump was tripping the fuses, annoyingly it was only a week old, caravan shop tested it for me and told me that the propeller was going round but not pumping any water, they replaced, hopefully this is now sorted :) however the other question do you have to renew the surge dampner?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
If, when the pump is fixed, you find that there is a surge when a tap is turned on, then yes. But normally the surge dampers are pretty fail proof and can be left alone.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Truma pumps normally fall apart but should not trip anything as they are only 12v. Not sure why they should be blown? Nothing to do with surge damper.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
If you take the damper apart all you will find is a plastic restriction plate, they is nothing to go wrong.
Its not like a domestic one which can have a spring inside, or an industrial one which may be gas filled with a damper. Nitrogen usually.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm not sure why Buckman has mentioned Truma pumps and rubbished them, when the question is about Whale pumps and surge dampers. Even whale caravan pumps run on 12V!

As for the pumps "blowing" Do you mean they have stopped working, or have they exploded?
The symptoms you describe could mean the pumps have continued to run when they should have stopped, for example if the pressure switch has not been correctly adjusted, the pump may not have been able to raise the pressure in the pipe work to force the pressure switch to turn off.

Check your pressure switches operating instructions for how to set it.

The other condition is if the water container has run dry, teh pump cannot produce pressure so it will run on.

In either case but especially if the water runs out, the pump will be quite quickly damaged seriously if it runs without pumping water for any length of time.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts