Whale IC Pump Problems

Jun 4, 2019
Visit site
Right then folks, where to start....

Got an Elddis Supreme last November and everything is fine, except the water pump.

Having been away the last 2 weeks I've had to re-callibrate the IC yellow thing nearly everyday due to either the pump continuing to run, or not running at all l, but now today, done some washing up and went to use the water, nothing at all, have tried to re-callibrate and again nothing, no water at all.

Have tried tuning everything on and off again, leaving it off for 20 minutes etc and nothing works.

Thankfully we are heading home in the morning when I can have a more detailed look/exam.

One thing I've noticed is if stood outside by the pump, when someone turns in the pump from the panel it really sounds like the pump is struggling to even move.

My thoughts are that its the pump, but does anyone have any other thoughts.

I've tried the dealer but they just tried the normal callibration instructions.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Right then folks, where to start....

Got an Elddis Supreme last November and everything is fine, except the water pump.

Having been away the last 2 weeks I've had to re-callibrate the IC yellow thing nearly everyday due to either the pump continuing to run, or not running at all l, but now today, done some washing up and went to use the water, nothing at all, have tried to re-callibrate and again nothing, no water at all.

Have tried tuning everything on and off again, leaving it off for 20 minutes etc and nothing works.

Thankfully we are heading home in the morning when I can have a more detailed look/exam.

One thing I've noticed is if stood outside by the pump, when someone turns in the pump from the panel it really sounds like the pump is struggling to even move.

My thoughts are that its the pump, but does anyone have any other thoughts.

I've tried the dealer but they just tried the normal callibration instructions.
Do you have a neighbouring van with a submersible pump who might lend it for a few minutes to see?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You don't tell us if you bought the caravan new or second hand, so we don't know how old the pump is. So its possible the pump is on the way out.

Submersible pumps do wear out, and many caravanners choose to carry a spare pump just in case.
Having a replacement pump would show whether its the pump at fault or possibly the Whale IC control unit.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
If you can hear the pump trying then it’s getting power. My guess is it may be jammed with some flotsam. Or knackered. Try flushing the pump under the tap and/or, trying to turn the impeller with a tooth pick.

The regulator can be striped and serviced which may help with that problem.

John

Jun 4, 2019
Visit site
To answer the questions above, the van was brand new and any other caravans around me use the truma system. Will give running it through some water and a tooth pick a go

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Sorry to suggest the obvious, but have you checked the filters at the end of the tap spouts? I got caught out with this when I first had my van - bits from the inline carbon filter tend to collect in the outlet filters preventing the water running. Otherwise as it is new get in touch with your dealer - I have the ordinary Whale pressure inlet, not the IC, and I only have to recalibrate that if I change from EHU to battery, as I normally use EHU I can't remember the last time I needed to touch it.

Jun 4, 2019
Visit site
Have check all the taps and there all the same, in addition I also have an outdoor outlet that's just a hose connector type and that's clear as well.

Have tried a toothpick and can spin the blade in side, also running it under the water tape it flows straight through so can't see it being a blockage there, will give the dealer another go on Monday, failing that will give Whale a try

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Did you try getting someone to turn it on while you hold the pump out of the water? With mine I often have to wiggle the connection into the van to get it to run, but once done, the connection stays good.

John

Aug 15, 2017
Visit site
Having just upgraded our pump system with the "the IC yellow thing" I do wonder quite how it works and how critical the timing might be on the calibration process. From memory you let water run for a while, turn it off, push the button, let a tap run for 20 seconds, then turn it off, then within what I think even the instructions say need only be within "around" 10 seconds, push the black calibration button again. Whatever. My point is there's a chain of actions and I suppose if we had some better understanding of what the unit was doing we might better judge how to tweak those timings and actions to resolve issues like yours (if it is inded the IC unit). All I know it appears to have smoothed, indeed resolved, some agro with our pump either not starting or not switching off, so that's all great. But the automatic pump cut off when the water carrier runs dry definitely doesn't work in our case, not on first calibration attempt anyhow.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Having just upgraded our pump system with the "the IC yellow thing" I do wonder quite how it works and how critical the timing might be on the calibration process. From memory you let water run for a while, turn it off, push the button, let a tap run for 20 seconds, then turn it off, then within what I think even the instructions say need only be within "around" 10 seconds, push the black calibration button again. Whatever. My point is there's a chain of actions and I suppose if we had some better understanding of what the unit was doing we might better judge how to tweak those timings and actions to resolve issues like yours (if it is inded the IC unit). All I know it appears to have smoothed, indeed resolved, some agro with our pump either not starting or not switching off, so that's all great. But the automatic pump cut off when the water carrier runs dry definitely doesn't work in our case, not on first calibration attempt anyhow.

Sounds like a real advance for mankind. The older style switch where you turn it a bit until the pressure switch worked correctly was so easy to remember and do.

Sep 22, 2020
Visit site
I’ve a 2020 year Coachman VIP Caravan fitted with the Whale submersible high flow pump (in bowser Type) and the IC controller within the van.
Problems from the outset, the IC hadn’t been calibrated by the dealer or whoever so having been either near scalded or frozen in the shower I found the issue and re calibrated the pump/IC.

However, I am getting occasional issue of pump running on and what I consider to be unsatisfactory flow rates at either taps or the shower head.
IC is still calibrated to show 5 sec flash of its LED and I have made sure there is no air in system. The running on results in the pump connector block that fits into side of caravan trying to ease itself out to the extent that water leaks at this this point. The vertical slide cover although correctly clipped into place being insufficient to retain the connector into the caravan housing.

On some occasions I would open a tap and nothing until I had reset the system by switching off and on the pump supply at the control panel .

I telephoned Whale and was sent by email a faulting guide and exploded schematic of the pump connector with its various parts including the IC.

I have dismantled the connector and examined the non return valve, pressure switch diaphragm etc and as expected as the van is new all are in excellent condition. I also followed the instructions to check the operation of the micro switch and this appeared ok despite some early pulsating in the system.

I have contacted Whale Technical Services again and they keep repeatedly telling me the non return valve must be the problem. How a non return valve that prevents water loss when the pump is removed to refill the bowser etc is the cause of the pump running on is a mystery to me. I explained in detail the process of elimination I had carried out and it was very evident the advisor to whom I was speaking started to contradict themselves In there responses.

I explained that normally on opening a tap the water flow would be good for a few seconds then slow then speed up again. To me this suggested the IC was controlling the voltage to the pump which was part of its surge prevention facility. The reply I received was no it doesn’t do that it’s your non return valve.

In the end as I was getting no where and more frustrated, I ended the call suggesting I would seek guidance from elsewhere.

I note from some earlier posts that some of you have found Whale very helpful even to the extent of them sending replacement parts to try to solve issues.

Unless I have been very unlucky I found them to be unhelpful and in some ways unknowledgeable about the product they are there to support.

I don’t know what some of the parts cost to Whale but as an ex electronics iengineer I guess the IC a few pounds and a seals, non return valve kit etc similar money. It could be the pump but at this stage I am unwilling to spend on a new one to test.

My caravan documention suggests I have 3 years warranty on the Whale water system which is good but not if you have to continually keep returning the van to the dealer to get things sorted.

My previous van, a Swift Conqueror, had the Truma system with in board pump. Whilst a bit noisy when in operation it’s flow rates etc were far better than that of the Whale. Obviously lacked the pump protection if bowser empty that the Whale has but I would love to have the flow rates of old again.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My caravan documention suggests I have 3 years warranty on the Whale water system which is good but not if you have to continually keep returning the van to the dealer to get things sorted.

Two points to note:

1. It is very bad form to criticize a company on a forum when the company does not have the opportunity to respond in a timely manner, and only one side of the communication is available.
Normally this reference would be deleted, but in this case it has not, however, it is very unusual that you have found their advice not to your satisfaction as they have an excellent record of being very helpful and go out of their way to be as supportive as they can be.

2.Regarding the quote at the beginning of this, as you rightly point out the warranty and associated problems are the responsibility of the supplying dealer and it is to them that you should have taken this up with.
By tampering with the system yourself you have effectively voided the warranty on the system.

When you bought the van you signed the relevant documentation and agreed that any problems would be dealt with by the supplying dealer, the fact that it means you have to return the van to the dealer is what you accepted when you bought the van.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’ve a 2020 year Coachman VIP Caravan fitted with the Whale submersible high flow pump (in bowser Type) and the IC controller within the van.
Problems from the outset, the IC hadn’t been calibrated by the dealer or whoever so having been either near scalded or frozen in the shower I found the issue and re calibrated the pump/IC.

However, I am getting occasional issue of pump running on and what I consider to be unsatisfactory flow rates at either taps or the shower head.
IC is still calibrated to show 5 sec flash of its LED and I have made sure there is no air in system. The running on results in the pump connector block that fits into side of caravan trying to ease itself out to the extent that water leaks at this this point. The vertical slide cover although correctly clipped into place being insufficient to retain the connector into the caravan housing.

On some occasions I would open a tap and nothing until I had reset the system by switching off and on the pump supply at the control panel .

I telephoned Whale and was sent by email a faulting guide and exploded schematic of the pump connector with its various parts including the IC.

I have dismantled the connector and examined the non return valve, pressure switch diaphragm etc and as expected as the van is new all are in excellent condition. I also followed the instructions to check the operation of the micro switch and this appeared ok despite some early pulsating in the system.

I have contacted Whale Technical Services again and they keep repeatedly telling me the non return valve must be the problem. How a non return valve that prevents water loss when the pump is removed to refill the bowser etc is the cause of the pump running on is a mystery to me. I explained in detail the process of elimination I had carried out and it was very evident the advisor to whom I was speaking started to contradict themselves In there responses.

I explained that normally on opening a tap the water flow would be good for a few seconds then slow then speed up again. To me this suggested the IC was controlling the voltage to the pump which was part of its surge prevention facility. The reply I received was no it doesn’t do that it’s your non return valve.

In the end as I was getting no where and more frustrated, I ended the call suggesting I would seek guidance from elsewhere.

I note from some earlier posts that some of you have found Whale very helpful even to the extent of them sending replacement parts to try to solve issues.

Unless I have been very unlucky I found them to be unhelpful and in some ways unknowledgeable about the product they are there to support.

I don’t know what some of the parts cost to Whale but as an ex electronics iengineer I guess the IC a few pounds and a seals, non return valve kit etc similar money. It could be the pump but at this stage I am unwilling to spend on a new one to test.

My previous van, a Swift Conqueror, had the Truma system with in board pump. Whilst a bit noisy when in operation it’s flow rates etc were far better than that of the Whale. Obviously lacked the pump protection if bowser empty that the Whale has but I would love to have the flow rates of old again.
Such is progress as systems get more sophisticated. I had a problem with my internal Flojet pump. It stopped working. 10-15 minutes to fit the new one. But take heart I bet you can remotely check your battery voltage with an app. 🤐

Sep 22, 2020
Visit site
Two points to note:

1. It is very bad form to criticize a company on a forum when the company does not have the opportunity to respond in a timely manner, and only one side of the communication is available.
Normally this reference would be deleted, but in this case it has not, however, it is very unusual that you have found their advice not to your satisfaction as they have an excellent record of being very helpful and go out of their way to be as supportive as they can be.

2.Regarding the quote at the beginning of this, as you rightly point out the warranty and associated problems are the responsibility of the supplying dealer and it is to them that you should have taken this up with.
By tampering with the system yourself you have effectively voided the warranty on the system.

When you bought the van you signed the relevant documentation and agreed that any problems would be dealt with by the supplying dealer, the fact that it means you have to return the van to the dealer is what you accepted when you bought the van.
I don’t feel that I have criticised Whale - I have simply expressed the facts as they are. As regards warranty the Whale representative had been informed on numerous occasions the van was new. I was sent the faulting guide that required the removal of the IC unit and reconnection of two of the three wires to prove the micro switch operation. During this test the results did not match the expectation of the guide and when I questioned this - the representative made contradictory remarks and kept referring back to a faulty non return valve being the issue. As such and as part of the fault appraisal I was prompted to dismantle the housing and check the non return valve for foreign objects etc. So I cannot see how following Whales instructions I could be invalidating my warranty.

Reactions: Jcloughie

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
If you read the forum guidelines you will see that we ask that you do not:
'Post attacks against specific brands or companies in an effort to shame them with your experience. Take specific complaints directly to that company so they can work with you to resolve it.'

We understand your frustration and forum members will no doubt try to help you, but with respect, we only have your side of a conversation that you held with an advisor from a commercial company.
Internet posts on forums such as this one are deemed in law to have been published.
This forum is owned and administered by a multi-national internet publishing company so we avoid involving employees of commercial businesses in forum posts.
The best advice that has been given is to take up this issue with the dealership that you bought your caravan from.
They will either replace the pump or investigate the problem and repair it.

Sep 22, 2020
Visit site
If you read the forum guidelines you will see that we ask that you do not:
'Post attacks against specific brands or companies in an effort to shame them with your experience. Take specific complaints directly to that company so they can work with you to resolve it.'

We understand your frustration and forum members will no doubt try to help you, but with respect, we only have your side of a conversation that you held with an advisor from a commercial company.
Internet posts on forums such as this one are deemed in law to have been published.
This forum is owned and administered by a multi-national internet publishing company so we avoid involving employees of commercial businesses in forum posts.
The best advice that has been given is to take up this issue with the dealership that you bought your caravan from.
They will either replace the pump or investigate the problem and repair it.
Perhaps it would be good idea to ask Whale for a response and if they feel it necessary to question my reaction or so called “criticism” of them then I would be happy to receive any such input.

My intention was to simply seek input from forum members , it was not to shame Whale, but to state a sequence of events which may or may not accord with other forum members experiences, based on similar problems they may have had and how and by whom they achieved a satisfactory solution.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Perhaps it would be good idea to ask Whale for a response and if they feel it necessary to question my reaction or so called “criticism” of them then I would be happy to receive any such input.

My intention was to simply seek input from forum members , it was not to shame Whale, but to state a sequence of events which may or may not accord with other forum members experiences, based on similar problems they may have had and how and by whom they achieved a satisfactory solution.
Nobody intentionally ignores the rules of the forum and although I've no reason to doubt your intentions Tintentman, the rule with regard to complaints about named companies or individuals who are employed by them is quite clear.
Please read and understand the forum guidelines so as not to come into conflict with these simple requests that we all agree to abide by as a condition of forum membership.
Your caravan is new, your contract of sale is with the supplying dealership, the Consumer Rights Act covers your situation so contact your supplying dealership to have the issue rectified.
Edit:
It's not in our remit to 'ask Whale for a response'.
If you're unhappy at the moderator input that you have received you should contact the administrators of this forum.

Last edited:
Reactions: otherclive
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

On this you have my sympathy. When new with guarantee niggles it cost me much money and time in what seemed like continually returning my van. With the odd thing I got telephone help from a technician which was fine. For other things it was a frustrating experience.

Toilet replacement in which they said It was out of guarantee, but as they had one on the shelf they would do it from good faith. I asked them to check their dates, still well within time. On changing a screw was put through a water pipe. On the next replacement damage was done to the rear wall. They had to start again and redecorate as well.

Faulty door lock. So any key could open it. They said could not be guaranteed as It has contained weak plastic parts. I contacted the international manufacturer who hit the roof and got it sorted.

Brakes not releasing, I think it went back about 6 times but they could find no fault. Blamed me for time wasting! But could not explain the videos I took. I eventually sorted this myself, an electrical fault with a short between mover and ATC. They were not concerned or interested. (They fitted the mover).

One of the things that upset me most, was that there seemed to be zero realisation that, by not proBut viding a comprehensive service it absorbed my time, reduced my usage and enjoyment and was a cost. It was also inefficient for them and did not engender customer loyalty.

I feel a lot of these problems like Tintentman’s could be sorted over the phone, or perhaps a home visit. May not be in the budget, but decent after sales service, particularly on a major purchase goes beyond this.

John

I should add, I know I am only talking about 1 dealer, but they have a ‘good’ name around here. I also feel that I read lots of similar reports on different forums.

I don’t know what the complete answer is regarding returning caravans to dealers. But, the frequency could be much reduced by better quality control in manufacture and a more rigorous PDI.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
On this you have my sympathy. When new with guarantee niggles it cost me much money and time in what seemed like continually returning my van. With the odd thing I got telephone help from a technician which was fine. For other things it was a frustrating experience.

Toilet replacement in which they said It was out of guarantee, but as they had one on the shelf they would do it from good faith. I asked them to check their dates, still well within time. On changing a screw was put through a water pipe. On the next replacement damage was done to the rear wall. They had to start again and redecorate as well.

Faulty door lock. So any key could open it. They said could not be guaranteed as It has contained weak plastic parts. I contacted the international manufacturer who hit the roof and got it sorted.

Brakes not releasing, I think it went back about 6 times but they could find no fault. Blamed me for time wasting! But could not explain the videos I took. I eventually sorted this myself, an electrical fault with a short between mover and ATC. They were not concerned or interested. (They fitted the mover).

One of the things that upset me most, was that there seemed to be zero realisation that, by not proBut viding a comprehensive service it absorbed my time, reduced my usage and enjoyment and was a cost. It was also inefficient for them and did not engender customer loyalty.

I feel a lot of these problems like Tintentman’s could be sorted over the phone, or perhaps a home visit. May not be in the budget, but decent after sales service, particularly on a major purchase goes beyond this.

John

I should add, I know I am only talking about 1 dealer, but they have a ‘good’ name around here. I also feel that I read lots of similar reports on different forums.

I don’t know what the complete answer is regarding returning caravans to dealers. But, the frequency could be much reduced by better quality control in manufacture and a more rigorous PDI.

Yes all of the things that you mentioned that were wrong with your caravan could easily have been prevented by good design, good production and good quality control, with PDI as back up too.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
With a new caravan surely PDI is a primary consideration?
Re reading the list of faults it’s doubtful a PDI would have made any difference as they occurred after usage. But design, and production quality improvements would have done. Apart from piercing the pipe was human error.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I take it this thread concerns the submersible pump. Having had these for many years with constant failures requiring new and very expensive pumps I have converted to on-board pumps and all problems have gone away. A new on-board pump cost well less than two submersibles and is pretty easy to fit. To be fair, until recently I have been using the pumps for more than 150 days a year, but even so I stick to my advice and am very happy that my current van 2017 Coachman came with on-board pump as standard.
They are quite different in design than the submersibles and are able to run dry without serious damage - althouhg orf course it is best not to do this for long.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Spot on Ray,
My on board whale pump is twelve years old from new and , fingers crossed , still works very well. Totally light years ahead of the stick it in the aquaroll units.

Sep 22, 2020
Visit site
Thanks Tay & Dustydog for the heads up on this one. Yes going back to on barrel just seems a bit low rent on new van - what type and make of pump have you got fitted, I note from their website that Whale do produce inboards but it might be useful to have your input as to make and type.

I have one of those save water Ecocamel shower heads fitted and to be honest it’s a waste of time when it’s being driven by an in barrel pump as there doesn’t seem to be enough pressure to make it function as it was designed to do. I have closed off the two air inlets on the Shower head handle and flow output is better because it isn’t pulsing due to air / water mixing in the head. No apparent increase in water consumption as time taken to shower now shorter.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts