Whale pump and water issue

Jul 17, 2021
Visit site
Hi. I hope someone can shed some light on this for me. After my son grew up, I sold my caravan and now that my grandson is of an age, I recently bought a swift charisma 2001 to see how we'd get on. The issue is that the pump switch isn't delivering power. An electrician friend added a bypass wire to allow the switch to work (so we know it's not the switch and all the fuses are fine) but it needs to be switched on each time we need water and then switched off again after use otherwise the pump continues to run. I can't find any wiring diagrams to help and I wonder if any wise sages out there can offer any potential solutions? Thanks

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello AdianB

Welcome to the forum

By 2001 most caravans used one of two systems to control teh water pump automatically.

It would either have a micro switch in every tap, and these are all wired in parrallel so when any tap is opened the pump will run,

And teh other common type was a pressure switched system of which Whale were the most common.

You need to identify which system you have.

If its a pressure switched system you will have one of these
1626520531401.png
They are usually located near the cold water inlet, and the operating pressure can be adjusted by the knurled knob on the top.

IF you have a switched tap system, then underneath each tap you will find a pair of wires and they will be connected to teh caravans wiring harness.

just a note, you might find the caravan manufactures fitted switched taps, but didn't use the switches and left the wires dangling and unconnected. or a previous owner may have changed over. If you find that then you should look for the pressure switch shown above.

IF you need to start from scratch, Then provide teh taps all seal correctley when closed, I would recommend going for a pressure switched system. Its easy to fit, and fault trace.

Jul 17, 2021
Visit site
Hello AdianB

Welcome to the forum

By 2001 most caravans used one of two systems to control teh water pump automatically.

It would either have a micro switch in every tap, and these are all wired in parrallel so when any tap is opened the pump will run,

And teh other common type was a pressure switched system of which Whale were the most common.

You need to identify which system you have.

If its a pressure switched system you will have one of these
View attachment 1979
They are usually located near the cold water inlet, and the operating pressure can be adjusted by the knurled knob on the top.

IF you have a switched tap system, then underneath each tap you will find a pair of wires and they will be connected to teh caravans wiring harness.

just a note, you might find the caravan manufactures fitted switched taps, but didn't use the switches and left the wires dangling and unconnected. or a previous owner may have changed over. If you find that then you should look for the pressure switch shown above.

IF you need to start from scratch, Then provide teh taps all seal correctley when closed, I would recommend going for a pressure switched system. Its easy to fit, and fault trace.
Hi prof. Thanks for the info. The system has microswiches on all taps. I'll check out your other ideas 🙂

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If the pump continued to run when he tap is turned off, First check ALL the other taps (including the shower mixer are turned off. You may find one was left just tweaked on enough.

With the pumps main switch off, listen carefully to each tap as you turn it on, you should hear a faint click as the internal microswitch operates. If you find one that's silent, its quite possible the microswitch has failed. IF you can get underneath teh tap disconnect its wires, and then see if teh pump responds correctly.

Depending on the model of tap used, some faulty switches can be changed - otherwise its a complete new fitting - or consider going the pressure switch route.

Jul 17, 2021
Visit site
Hi prof. All taps are connecting via the micro switches and are delivering water ok but without the bypass wire in place, no power is getting to the switch, no light is coming on and there is no power at the whale connection. I've attached an image of the switch.

Attachments

• IMG_20210717_134148.jpg
    IMG_20210717_134148.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 3
Jul 17, 2021
Visit site
Just wondering if there's a chance of it being a relay issue but I discounted that thought as with the bypass wire in place, all taps work fine and deliver water

Jul 17, 2021
Visit site
Should say that the previous owner said it all worked fine but since day one, it's never worked for me. My suspicion is that it's probably been an issue for some time :-(

Jan 9, 2018
Visit site
Hi
My name is Hayley and I work in the marketing team at Whale.
Please feel free to contact our Customer Service Team who will do all they can to assist you with your query. You can call them on 0345 9090 911 or email info@whalepumps.com.
Alternatively, please privately send me the best number to get you on and I will get one of our team to give you a call.
Best wishes,
Hayley

Reactions: Hutch and Parksy
Jul 17, 2021
Visit site
Hi Haley. Thanks so much for getting in touch. I had thought that as this was an older model that wouldn't have had support. I'll be in touch. Thanks again

Reactions: Whale
Jul 17, 2021
Visit site
Hi Haley. Thanks so much for getting in touch. I had thought that as this was an older model that wouldn't have had support. I'll be in touch. Thanks again
Hi again. The number is busy. Can you ask one of the team to contact me when they're available? Thanks Adrian

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts