Whale socket - chip or no chip?

Jul 14, 2022
Visit site
Hi there,
As you can see I am a new member. I am hoping someone can clear this up for me and thanks in advance!
I recently bought a '95 Abi sprinter 400D and there are a few little issues which I am sorting- but running out of time as we have a trip booked.
I was given a whale pump with the caravan (No idea if this is working condition) and when plugged in it doesn't appear to power up when trying tap. (Just a single cold water tap in kitchen). Checked all fuses. And then saw there's no micro chip component (micro switch?) In the socket. My query is, should there be one or is it possible for a basic system like this not to require that? The tap is simple but does have cable to it and a little 'switch' sound.
Apologies if this sounds stupid- I've no experience with these pumps at all ๐Ÿ˜ฌ.
Any help very much appreciated. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
There are two possible systems:
Pressure system - the back of the inlet has a pressure switch (adjustable) so when you turn on the tap, the water runs, pressure drops, and the pump is activated to draw water from the external barrel.
Microswitch system - each tap has a microswitch within it so when the tap is turned on the microswitch operates the pump drawing water from the barrel. This should be easy to identify as there will be 2 wires to each tap base that are connected.
To fill the system turn the tap furthest from the inlet to the hot side and run until smooth flow, repeat for each tap turned to hot. Then return to the furthest tap and do the same with the cold side. The system is then bled and ready.
If you have no running water check if there are filters to unscrew at the tap ends and make sure they are clean (a regular job).
Check the connections are clean where the whale block plugs in the van, and wiggle the pump in the barrel to ensure that there is no air lock. Also check the fuse.
Howzat for starters - and welcome to the forum.

Jul 14, 2022
Visit site
Hi audiorob, thank you for the info. I just have 1 cold water tap at the kitchen sink. Unfortunately there is no sound and no water flow however! (I doesn't help that I don't know if the pump works or not either). I need to know does the socket require a micro chip component or do some sockets just not have these?๐Ÿค” There is a live and neutral wire connected on front but no micro chip piece. Is this simply that the dodgy dealer I bought from took this part for another van, or should it ever have had one? I have a brand new socket to replace this one - if that needs be. Or maybe take the micro chip and try that in the original? But I don't want to do the wrong thing and render something useless. Would appreciate any knowledge on this aspect, and thanks again ๐Ÿ‘

Jul 14, 2022
Visit site
Just did a bit more searching. Found this on Magnum motor homes site, which is useful. My caravan has a hibrid of the 2 of these ๐Ÿ™„. There are numbers 1,2,3 for the wires and switch, but a flat cover on the dial. Also the dial area has the high and low indicator decals. I don't know were these available for 'with' and 'without' pressure switch with the decals on them all anyway ... Or did someone swap out parts.
Also should a fase tester let me know if there's 1658672083649.jpgcurrent going to one of the connectors at position 1 or 3?? That at least might get me started!! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ Thanks again.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
OK. So there is just a cold supply at the kitchen sink and you have (mainly) the right hand illustrated socked without pressure adjuster. Therefore I think we can assume that the one tap has a microswitch that is fed through so that when the tap is opened (and there is a click from the microswitch within it) the pump is activated and you should have water.
If you have checked the tap spout and the fuse, and the connectors of the square whale block to the external socket...
try and see if the pump has seized - the usually blue mesh cap pulls off the end and with a fine screwdriver you should be able to rotate the little impeller within.
I am assuming that other 12v systems (like lights) are working to indicate that the caravan battery has charge.

Jul 14, 2022
Visit site
Hi thank you again. Yes assumptions correct and I will try the impeller asap. Now to ask the rookie question ... is there a direction I should/shouldn't turn the impeller?!!
After purchase (don't worry I've put myself through enough anxiety - it is what it is); I realised that the supposedly working leisure battery compartment looks the part, but on further inspection the interior electrics aren't hooked up ๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿคจ. So I have a mains hookup lead which thankfully works and have seen lights, fridge etc functioning. Gas works on stove - not on fridge. So overall we can manage - but nothing was really as we were led to believe - damper in hitch (I am waiting on an ordered replacement), awning - 'only used twice by previous owner...' questionable... it goes on. But am working through issues - this wasn't a situation where I would comfortably go back to dealer and state my rights unfortunately. Anyway I'll stay on the positive side and get on with it!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts