What’s the best model (Fixed bed end washroom)?

Dec 7, 2020
Visit site
Hi, We’re currently looking at getting a 2016 (or newer) Bailey Unicorn Valencia but is there a better alternative than this make/model but keeping this layout? Budget circ £15k
thanks

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Parksy
I trust i find you keeping well, & staying safe.
Coachman vip 575 , we love ours, the layout is great,
We're fine thanks GB but the forum member commenting on the Coachman isn't me, although at a glance the name looks similar.
Coachman caravans are very nice but we have no plans to change our caravan.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Grizzly, Should have gone to Specsavers, I had to do a double take. 😂

Pasky, We have a 2013 Coachman 560 VIP. It's the fixed side bed, with washroom at the back. It has the Truma Combi air heating, which we have found to be great.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
There is no right answer to the question. It is purely down to your budget and personal needs. You will find something similar in all the makers ranges although the Bailey tends to be a bit cheaper then some. For quality of build probably Coachman and Adria are a but better made but both will be heavier particularly the Adria so that may need a bigger tow car but you do not say what you have. It is really a choice between the various interiors that is probably the clincher for most people.
Given that you are looking at a second hand model, condition is all important and a damp check is essential. Bailey do not seem to have had any serious problems with cracking front and back panels which other firms have, had but the floor in particular does need to be checked for damp around the wheels.
£15,000 looks a bit lower than it should be at present, so if this is a private sale do be careful. Around £17,000 + looks to be the trade price at the moment from a brief look at web sites.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi, We’re currently looking at getting a 2016 (or newer) Bailey Unicorn Valencia but is there a better alternative than this make/model but keeping this layout? Budget circ £15k
thanks
Hi i use own a Bailey with a fixed bed and end washroom we said if we went for another it would be this Bailey Pegasus Brindisi 4 berth caravan have a look but at the end of the day it your choice

Attachments

• 4FBIB12 (2).gif
    4FBIB12 (2).gif
    5.9 KB · Views: 3
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I had a fixed bed and was glad to change it as the beds are often a little small and depending on model if it’s against a wall there’s always one of you that has to climb over, we bought a 4 berth with 2 singles and the double has to be made up with seating, having 2 decent size single is brilliant, no disturbances from each other and really comfortable, would never go back to a fixed double but as people have already said, each to their own, it would be a boring world if we all chose the same.
Good luck finding one you like.
BP

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
A subjective question; its all down to what colour scheme you want and what bells/whistles you need. My Sprite is a fixed transverse island bed with end-washroom, but is a "budget" van, so is more basic, but that means lighter & *cheaper but still has everything you really need.

For me, I dislike Bailey caravans; its the vertical front window. it doesn't work for me.

*The new prices of budget/entry-level 4-berth vans seem to be cascading over the £20k mark now, so adjectives implying low cost can be misleading.

Reactions: otherclive
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I hear it mentioned that bailey vans are cheaper and that must be true but I’m not sure if Bailey are cheap or other makes are overpriced, personally my wife and I are on our second Bailey which is a 2018 GT70 Rimini we looked at loads of layouts and looked round lots of dealers, I have to say we decided on this model and layout as soon as seeing it immediately, the build quality seems as good as any we looked at, and it has everything we wanted in it,
I wonder if Bailey to some degree have lower prices than some simply because they sell more so they can benefit by bigger turnover, I may be wrong but baileys seem to be selling more than many.
Same as always with this type of topic, each to there own choice and each to what their budget will stretch to.

BP

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
We had a mark 1 Valencia. Very happy with it until the wheel came of, literally. I think that that could happen just as easily to any make as the axel remains the same. However Bailey did get a bad reputation for that, I think it is just because there are more of them. At least Bailey did something proactive about it in fitting WSL bolts from the mk 2 on.

I would have had no qualms about moving to the mk2 as build quality and facilities are as good as any other give or take a little bit. But we went for the Lunar Clubman based purely on the colour scheme and feel.

As has been said already, all manufacturers have models with similar levels of spec.

John

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 4, 2020
Visit site
I think it’s all about what you get for your money , unfortunately at the moment not much as the Avg price of a van has increased , I even see early 2000 vans going for 5-7 k I think you will struggle to find a DECENT condition van at 2016 for your budget , I see 2011 vans going for 12-13k , so many new caravaners snapped all the vans . Be careful on EBay so many scammers , I would be going to a dealer for that budget.

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
Transverse beds are all very well, but you have to be short. When we looked (I'm 6' 3") if the bed is extended there's NO WAY you can get round the bed to the toilet! We wanted island bed and that meant end bed...

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Transverse beds are all very well, but you have to be short. When we looked (I'm 6' 3") if the bed is extended there's NO WAY you can get round the bed to the toilet! We wanted island bed and that meant end bed...
The mattress in our caravan is exactly 6'3", but how many people sleep on their backs or full stretched out? If you go into a mattress shop the size of a double is normally 4'6" x 6'3" so exactly the same length as the caravan. A king size mattress is only 3" longer.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

Agree, we find our transverse works for us, but I am only 5’7”.

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello PaskySNR.

Choosing a layout is a very personal thing, and whilst some comments on forums may alert you to difficulties or good things that someone else has experienced, only you can tell if layout is right for you. Just like colour schemes, one man's food may be another's poison.

There is no substitute for going to look at different caravans, and actually seeing if details of the layout might suit. I do suggest if you can take afamily member of friend who caravans with you, they may spot things that an inexperienced person may not.

Taking an experienced friend is especially important if you are looking at second hand caravans,as there are more things such as damp to catch out the unwary.

Even if you have willing friend, and you find a possible caravan, don't agree to buy it until you have had an independent inspection carried out by a qualified engineer. Its money well spent, as unforeseen repairs will almost certainly cost you a lot more than the inspection.

If the seller is not easy with having an independent inspection, that is a red card sign - what are they trying to hide?, and I suggest walking away.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I had a fixed bed and was glad to change it as the beds are often a little small and depending on model if it’s against a wall there’s always one of you that has to climb over, we bought a 4 berth with 2 singles and the double has to be made up with seating, having 2 decent size single is brilliant, no disturbances from each other and really comfortable, would never go back to a fixed double but as people have already said, each to their own, it would be a boring world if we all chose the same.
Good luck finding one you like.
BP
Hi Beehpee what size are the fixed singles in your caravan that might be a option for me

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts