What age caravan?

Sep 11, 2022
Visit site
Hi all,

We're looking at replacing our old Swift that went to the caravan site in the sky due to water ingress. What sort of age is better to look at?
Been looking at an Elddis xplore 530 2013, we'd be financing over 10 years, so it would end up being nearly 20 years old at the end of the finance.
Our last van was a 1996 and we scrapped it this year so it was well into its 20s but is that sort of age expected for a newer van?

Just weighing things up.

Thanks

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Probably condition Along with service record and recent damp test more important than the date of manufacture. The overall condition in and out might give clues regarding light or heavy use too. Presumably you are buying from a dealer so there might be a short warranty available but if you are lucky you may find a van that has been cherished by the previous owner.

Sep 11, 2022
Visit site
Probably condition Along with service record and recent damp test more important than the date of manufacture. The overall condition in and out might give clues regarding light or heavy use too. Presumably you are buying from a dealer so there might be a short warranty available but if you are lucky you may find a van that has been cherished by the previous owner.

Thanks for the reply.

I've been looking at Glossop Caravans unless anyone has any horror stories. So hopefully will be in good condition.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

I've been looking at Glossop Caravans unless anyone has any horror stories. So hopefully will be in good condition.
Detrimental comments about dealers et al are not allowed under Forum rules, as the dealerships side of the story cannot be given.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Sorry, I did read that.

Will hopefully be viewing this weekend so we'll see.
As said condition is a good marker, but to my mind with a caravan damp is the key discriminator. A comprehensive damp survey is a must. The previous owner may have had one carried out and it is in the service records, but anything beyond six months since a survey I would want a new one. Don’t be fobbed off with a insurance backed warranty as many will not allow claims for damp caused through plastic panel cracks. Window rubbers, awning rails, equipment etc they cover. I had a 2012 Sprite Musketeer TD a great caravan, and tight as a drum. I sold it privately last year.

Sep 11, 2022
Visit site
As said condition is a good marker, but to my mind with a caravan damp is the key discriminator. A comprehensive damp survey is a must. The previous owner may have had one carried out and it is in the service records, but anything beyond six months since a survey I would want a new one. Don’t be fobbed off with a insurance backed warranty as many will not allow claims for damp caused through plastic panel cracks. Window rubbers, awning rails, equipment etc they cover. I had a 2012 Sprite Musketeer TD a great caravan, and tight as a drum. I sold it privately last year.

Very informative.

Thank you.

So never having a caravan serviced myself. Is the damp check a standard thing or is it an additional job?

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Depends but a dated full report with exploded diagram of roof floor sides back and front with many areas tested and the results noted as a percentage is what you are looking for.

Reactions: Petenlancs
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Generally the younger a caravan the better, and the less chance they have had to develop damp through wear and tear. But I note your anticipating a caravan with ten birthdays.

As caravans age, they are increasingly prone to age related problems not just from wear and tear. I highly recommend that you arrange to have the caravan pre sale inspected by an independent caravan engineer. No honest seller should object to an inspection.

I'm not 100% clear on what you mean by "we'd be financing over 10 years" I'm taking it to mean you will be using a loan to cover the cost. Do carefully check if there is any stipulation in the terms and conditions about the age or condition of the item being purchased.

Sep 11, 2022
Visit site
Generally the younger a caravan the better, and the less chance they have had to develop damp through wear and tear. But I note your anticipating a caravan with ten birthdays.

As caravans age, they are increasingly prone to age related problems not just from wear and tear. I highly recommend that you arrange to have the caravan pre sale inspected by an independent caravan engineer. No honest seller should object to an inspection.

I'm not 100% clear on what you mean by "we'd be financing over 10 years" I'm taking it to mean you will be using a loan to cover the cost. Do carefully check if there is any stipulation in the terms and conditions about the age or condition of the item being purchased.

Sorry, I meant we would be using the dealers finance company and spreading it over 10 years.

What sort of cost is an independent inspection?

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
You might be able to find a one owner caravan at a dealer it in pristine condition me personally go for a nearly new or what you can afford . but make sure it comes with a full service record and a damp survey checked. make sure it comes with a warranty

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
We had a much loved Xplore 302 2013. Bought in 2018. No damp on purchase, no damp on first service, damp found in 2020 ( week before first lockdown-decided to monitor it). Had it checked again in 2021. Significant Damp in 3 different places, fairly extensive in one area. Decided cost of repair ( fridge was also playing up and there was some crazing of the front windows) was going to outweigh the residual value of the van so cut our losses and traded in for an Elddis 462 2018. No damp on purchase ( bought from a dealer and I saw the damp report, I do not think they were lying, just that build quality is awful). Six months in it leaks like a sieve but covered by warranty and currently awaiting parts for repairs and re sealing.
Basically the moral is that you can buy a caravan in apparently good order but there may still be trouble ahead.
Elddis have stuck with a wood based construction when other manufacturers have shifted to non wood based such as Baileys Alu Tech. This does not mean Baileys don’t leak ( we have previous on a leaky Bailey) but MAY mean that there is less structural damage if you do get water ingress over a long period.

I don’t want to put you off the Xplore, I do like them, but do comb through the small print of the warranty for this or any other van that you end up with.
Mel

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Predicting the condition 10 years ahead is nothing more than guesswork. Personally I would not finance a caravan that old over 10 years, You should be able to keep it that long provided it is well looked after and it is checked regularly for damp and if found dealt with promptly, but problems can arise and things can fail.
If you want to check on a dealers reviews, possibly Google is your best bet.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
At nearly ten years old your proposed van, will be out of manufacturers warranty,so be very careful to check exactly what the dealer offers you warranty wise, there may be terms in the small print that require you to maintain certain things e.g. annual service and damp check by approved dealer or workshop,also check with the finance company, technically they will own the caravan until it is paid off,which may give you peace of mind so that should you have a problem, the finance company is responsible. It is not something I would be comfortable doing, but only you can decide.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Sorry, I meant we would be using the dealers finance company and spreading it over 10 years.

What sort of cost is an independent inspection?
Black Horse finance are normally the ones that finance a caravan purchase. Highly unlikely the dealership will have their own finance company.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The cost is dependent on what you want checked, A full check through the CAMH is several hundred pounds, but if you check out the local mobile caravan mechanics you should get something cheaper, you would need to speak to them and see what they can offer.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
May 12, 2019
Visit site
After having boats for 40 years I decided to buy a Caravan, a friend who has been Caravanning for many years suggested that I buy a Coachman as the build quality is better.
I found a 2013 Coachman at a caravan dealer, Although it did not have any service history the condition was outstanding. The interior looked as if it had been hardly used. The inside of the oven looked as if it had never been used. I know that people can really clean ovens to look like new but this was unused. There was no damp.
(I noticed once at a Caravan Dealer when a caravan arrived the salesman rushed out with a Moisture Meter to check, so I bought one my self, plus my wife is one of those people who have an enhanced scence of smell)
I also looked at a later Coachman Vision, but they seem to be a Re-Badged Amara as they have the later ABC construction.
So up to now my buying a 2013 Caravan has worked for us.
Its just a matter of looking for the right buy.

Reactions: Hutch

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts