What Berth for a beginner

Oct 7, 2019
Visit site
Hi

There is only two if us but four dogs and we may take the odd grandchild, what berth is a good place to start I do like my space lol

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
My experience with dogs is that it doesn’t matter how big the van is: the dogs want to be where you are! In terms of berth, then it maybe considerations like layout and whether you want a fixed bed are more important. Have a look on Caravanfinder as it shows lot of layouts. Then get yourself down to a dealers of new and second hand vans and check out what each layout feels like.
You may want to look at a double dinette layout as this is very flexible. You can leave one end made up as a bed, or use both ends as living space, or have a bed or bunk for a grandchild.
Also factor in what your tow car and licence will let you tow.
Good luck
Mel

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We went back to making up the bed as we liked the space during the day and making the front bed takes only minutes after watching news at ten then walking the dogs for their last break.

Ours is a five berth but to be honest that would be a squeeze. We tend to use front double and a rear single when our 14 year old granddaughter comes with us. But when on our own I have the front bed and my wife has the back
bed. As Mel says the dogs just do their own thing.

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
akd1961 said:
Hi

There is only two if us but four dogs and we may take the odd grandchild, what berth is a good place to start I do like my space lol

You may find things a little easier if you leave the odd grandchild at home, and take the more normal one, at least until you get acquainted with your new van ... :p

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Dogs also need a bit of space!

31608628386_8880bc71c4_z.jpg

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
This really is a personal choice. You can only decide for yourself after you have done the legwork looking at, and actually siting in caravans. The NEC Show is on this week so is a good place to get ideas on layout and features. We started with a tiny classic caravan which was a 3 berth (Similar models had a 4th stretcher-like bunk) but the lack of space/features prevented us from using it more.

We tour as a couple with a small dog, but have a 4 berth caravan with a fixed bed; but doggy does just want to be where we are.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
They just cannot help themselves!!
We always use mattress protectors on all soft furnishings plus heavy gauge cotton throws. It stops my spilt drinks damaging the upholstery too!

SDC11472.jpg

SDC11473.jpg

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
My advice as a relative newbie still (6 months and counting) is to ignore the number of berths and concentrate on the layout... I have experience from owning a 35'sailing boat, and as we have got older there are different priorities.

Number 1 for us was that we didn't have to make up the bed every night.
Second was each doesn't have to disturb the other in the nightly visits to the loo.

That meant that the only layouts open to us were island beds (either transverse or end on). Visits to dealers quickly identified that transverse beds were useless when one of you is 6' 3" (me) because there is no room to get round the end of the made up bed in a 7' 6" wide caravan.

If you haven't thought through these issues, you could find yourself in a situation you don't want to be in first trip out...

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We have two dogs, a lab sized one and a small rat thing, Rex stays on the floor the Rat, (harry ) tries to get up on your lap or on the seating a quick flick gets him down, if they have four , they are on the floor. . They do not smell worse than we do when out in the wet so, Camel, your more than welcome to check that out at Whyton lakes over a pint of of grog. . If we get together. If we ever get out before Xmas.

Your sleeping totally depends on yourselves. The boss and myself, would not think of single beds as we are,,"cuddley" folks and prefer a side bed for ouselves. The dogs sleeping at the front of the caravan on the floor. On their own bedding which gets put outside every day until the night time bedding down.

After our last time out the wife had a bad back , we think caused by the Memory foam mattress we bought for the caravan, (see the Market place site, its free ) so we were using the pull out bed at the front of the caravan and found the sleep was great due to the firmer cushioning. But prefer the fixed bed which I have put back the original mattress on now.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Guzzilazz said:
...That meant that the only layouts open to us were island beds (either transverse or end on). Visits to dealers quickly identified that transverse beds were useless when one of you is 6' 3" (me) because there is no room to get round the end of the made up bed in a 7' 6" wide caravan...

There is still a compromise in any layout: I'm also 6'3" and have the exact style caravan you describe. Yes it is tight to edge round the extended bed to the Washroom, but it is possible.

Mar 8, 2019
Visit site
Mel said:
My experience with dogs is that it doesn’t matter how big the van is: the dogs want to be where you are

Totally agree Mel, our fixed bed has a door which we have to shut. They still try to force through it! Two German shepherd's won't fit in with us. :)

Hope I've done this right!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts