What could be causing Truma electric heater to trip?

Oct 2, 2021
Visit site
Hi folks...

We've got a Truma s3002 ultraheat in our caravan (and its a 2003 caravan). Not needed to use the heater before but we hope to go away in it late October.

When I turn it onto 500w from cold, it seems to hold steady. When I put it on 1000w from cold, about 4 minutes in and the circuit trips.

Is there a common cause for this? Wondering if it could be there thermal overload and limit that need replacing.. or am I looking at the wrong thing?

If I try and put it straight back on after it's tripped, it just trips again. If I leave it a while, it will go back on.

Earlier I had it on 500w for about 20 minutes so thought I would increase it to 1000w, but as soon as I clicked it onto 1000w, it tripped straight away.

Would be grateful for any ideas, suggestions or words of wisdom hehe.

Thanks all,

Chris.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2021
Visit site
Well I have changed the 2 thermal overload switches, but its still doing the same thing..... a tad frustrating!!

Think the relays are on the main board, so maybe thats the next thing to try.

I've emailed Gary as well so will see if / when he comes back to me ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

May 24, 2014
Visit site
There are two elements in there as far as I can remember. Possibly the clue is in the fact that its ok at 500w but trips when you increase to 1kw. Possibly the fault is in the element itself.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi folks...

We've got a Truma s3002 ultraheat in our caravan (and its a 2003 caravan). Not needed to use the heater before but we hope to go away in it late October.

When I turn it onto 500w from cold, it seems to hold steady. When I put it on 1000w from cold, about 4 minutes in and the circuit trips.

Is there a common cause for this? Wondering if it could be there thermal overload and limit that need replacing.. or am I looking at the wrong thing?

If I try and put it straight back on after it's tripped, it just trips again. If I leave it a while, it will go back on.

Earlier I had it on 500w for about 20 minutes so thought I would increase it to 1000w, but as soon as I clicked it onto 1000w, it tripped straight away.

Would be grateful for any ideas, suggestions or words of wisdom hehe.

Thanks all,

Chris.
Hi,
You don't say what device is tripping.If it's the earth leakage circuit breaker then you have an earth fault(live conductor or element touching something metallic that is earthed).If a circuit breaker is tripping then you have an overload.If you had a short circuit circuit breaker would open immediately.

Oct 2, 2021
Visit site
Hi,
You don't say what device is tripping.If it's the earth leakage circuit breaker then you have an earth fault(live conductor or element touching something metallic that is earthed).If a circuit breaker is tripping then you have an overload.If you had a short circuit circuit breaker would open immediately.

Hiya,

Probably my ignorance, but not sure what the earth leakage circuit breaker is... but its the main RCD breaker that keeps tripping in the caravan... the one on the right in the picture ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

Attachments

• 20211003_150146.jpg
    20211003_150146.jpg
    471.2 KB · Views: 4
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I was about to ask the same question that Bertie did. The RH switch is the RCD and the fact it is operating points to a damaged heater element with an earth fault. Do not attempt to use teh electric elements until it has been rectified. That is why changing the thermal trip switch has done nothing to improve the situation.

Unfortunately the hetre needs to be removed to access the elements, and unless you are qualified and competent to work on gas appliances or electrical appliances I have to suggest you seek professional help.

Oct 2, 2021
Visit site
Yep, got the competent bit covered ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป. Wouldn't be doing any of this without being competent because its not worth the risk..

Main thing I'm trying to establish is if there is a common cause for this as a fault.

Heater has been on for nearly 3 hours at 500w without a problem, so leads me to believe the element is more likely to be the culprit... possibly the PCB as I've seen others saying about the relays causing problems as they stop working as they should over time.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
For the moment, and assuming there is no physical damage?, my first suggestion normally is run the gas fire in front of elements, but as it works on 500w, leave it on 500w for 24hrs set at 9 on the dial so it won't switch off.
Although rare on Truma's, what I suspect is there's some moisture inside the elements
which needs driving out.
500w is running both elements in series and as their not tripping, leaving them on and hopefully purge out the moisture so allow the elements to be turned up to 1000w, ie one element, or 2000w ie, both elements in parallel.

Oct 2, 2021
Visit site
For the moment, and assuming there is no physical damage?, my first suggestion normally is run the gas fire in front of elements, but as it works on 500w, leave it on 500w for 24hrs set at 9 on the dial so it won't switch off.
Although rare on Truma's, what I suspect is there's some moisture inside the elements
which needs driving out.
500w is running both elements in series and as their not tripping, leaving them on and hopefully purge out the moisture so allow the elements to be turned up to 1000w, ie one element, or 2000w ie, both elements in parallel.

Thanks for the advice Gary ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

I put it on 500w this morning and its still on this evening. I will leave it on until tomorrow evening to give it a really good chance, then try it on 1kw and see what happens.

Really appreciate your advice.

Chris

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Whilst Gary's fix is a solution it's not a permanent one. Moisture should not be able to get into the inside of an element, so its still worth planning to get it repaired.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Chris welcome to forum i am not handy with my hands in the caravan but you should get a answer to your question they are a great bunch on here

Last edited:
Reactions: Chrispie1969
Oct 2, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for the advice Gary ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

I put it on 500w this morning and its still on this evening. I will leave it on until tomorrow evening to give it a really good chance, then try it on 1kw and see what happens.

Really appreciate your advice.

Chris

So since the start of the week, left it on 500w for 36hrs. Last night I turned it onto 1kw and it held.. and then put it onto 2kw which held, but I didn't have it on for too long as I was getting hot haha.

Turned it all off last night and turned it onto 2kw this morning and it tripped off after about 5 minutes, so then put it on 1kw and left it like that until I just got home, but it has tripped at some point in the day.

Just tried it again on 500w and its fine, but has tripped again on 1kw and 2kw...

Not sure of next step, whether I just replace the elements and then see.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If it is holding on 2Kw then the elements are OK an it points to the upper and lower temperature cut outs.

Oct 2, 2021
Visit site
If it is holding on 2Kw then the elements are OK an it points to the upper and lower temperature cut outs.

I would absolutely agree, but I've replaced them because I did think it may be them to be honest.

Its run on 1kw for about 4 hours this evening then tripped again.

I'm going to try it again in the morning and see how long it goes before it trips on 1kw then maybe try it on 2kw and see.

Never a dull day ๐Ÿคช

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts