What do I buy?

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I live in France but need to be in UK for about 12 months. Currently, I have a Hymer Feeling towed by a KIa Carens 140 CRDI. Very happy with both units as we travel extensively throughout Europe and don't need a huge van. BUT, if we are to spend 12 mths in UK, we feel we need a bigger van to cope with storage, bad weather, etc. The cunning plan is to look for something when we arrrive (solo). Because we will keep the Feeling, we can't afford to spend a lot, so, as I see it, we need:
An older roomy, van,
in good condition,
at a bargain price
Layout/ model that will resell easily
Max weight (all-up) - 1250kgs
Having been away from Uk for so long, I have no idea which vans - if any- might fit these criteria. Or, am I in 'never, never' land? (My wife accuses me of being 'out of touch').
I guess there are plenty of you out there who can help with advice. I can assure you, it will be gratefully accepted.
Is it still difficult/impossible to stay anywhere for more than 28 days in UK?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
For your proposed length of stay perhaps a van with a fixed bed would be more comfortable and save the daily make-up and store of the bedding. Problem being your figure for maximum weight, as many such vans will be above this value. I can only suggest you look at the data and layout tables in the back of the magazine, make a short list and then search the for sale ads. to see what you turn up.

A fixed bed van in good condition should re-sell quite well.

To the best of my knowledge none of the sites owned or operated by or in conjunction with the major clubs (including CLs) permit more than 28 day occupation, so it would be have to be a commercial site. some of these have chalets to rent and you may find it better to consider one of these. Anothr alternative to buying and re-selling a 'van would be to hire one - you should get a good deal on long-term hire, particularly through the winter months. Google 'caravan hire' and it should produce some possibilities.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts