What have I forgotten?

Dec 13, 2017
Visit site
Off on our first extended overseas trip with the van at the weekend. Euro-tunnel then heading East(ish). 2 adults, 2 kids, 4 bikes, no pets.

Hopefully completely over prepared but nagging feeling I've forgotten something and it will not become apparent until I'm in the middle of nowhere. So... what have I forgotten.

France, Switzerland, Lichtenstein, Austria, Germany, Luxembourg, Belgium

All standard UK kit plus:-
2x warning triangle
4x hi vis (2 adult, 2 children)
2x fire extinguisher (1 car, 1 van)
1 x fire blanket
Extra awning pole sections
Spare water pump
Euro EHU adapter
Car and Van serviced

Extra docs:-
Car v5
Caravan Criss
Car and caravan insurance docs
Red Pennant super-expensive car and caravan breakdown/rescue service
Driving licenses
Passports
EHIC (E111)
Prepared for extortionate Swiss Vignettes
Prepared for less extortionate Austrian Vingette
Swiss Francs and Euros and good credit card for everything else

What have I forgotten?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Mark31415 said:
Off on our first extended overseas trip with the van at the weekend. Euro-tunnel then heading East(ish). 2 adults, 2 kids, 4 bikes, no pets.

Hopefully completely over prepared but nagging feeling I've forgotten something and it will not become apparent until I'm in the middle of nowhere. So... what have I forgotten.

2x warning triangle
1 x fire blanket
Spare water pump
Euro EHU adapter
Car and Van serviced

Car v5
Caravan Criss
Driving licenses
Passports
EHIC (E111)

What have I forgotten?

Overseas emergency numbers into phone contacts.

Spare wheel from under caravan and into van.

Look at CMHC site for loverseas check lists

Have a good holiday and hope chaos at Dover or Tunnel subsides.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Not much by the looks of it but just in case , you don't want to pack your hi-viz'sss in the boot in case they are needed, we put ours under the seats.

Have a good trip.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
In France you have to be wearing hi viz as you exit the car and all passengers also on autoroute. That’s why you see them across the seat backs. We carry ours in the respective door pockets even in UK.

Dec 13, 2017
Visit site
Cheers folks. All Hi-Viz lives under the front passenger seat for the last 6 or so years and makes itself known if ever we do an emergency stop or move the seat back and forth.

According to Eurotunnel web-site, it's all back under control now with just "standard 30 mins delays" but guess we'll see on the day. Mid-afternoon crossing which may mean copping any during the day delays but only 100 miles or so on the other side so got a bit of wiggle room for the way out. We've even watched the youtube videos that show you what to do at the terminal with a caravan!

Still trying to decide if I need to lug a fan around with us. Forecast suggesting 30 degrees. But a fan is a big bulky item which may just get in the way all the time. Got some little 4" USB fans which make fan noises but not sure how effective they are.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
That's all we bought last year in Holland. A little 4 inch fan from Ikea which has a lead coming of it which can be plugged into a USB adaptor or a smart phone charger plug with the adaptor bit , works great , had it on this weekend whilst in Yorkshire all night .

Jun 15, 2018
Visit site
Mark31415 said:

2x warning triangle
1 x fire blanket
Spare water pump
Euro EHU adapter
Car and Van serviced

Car v5
Caravan Criss
Driving licenses
Passports
EHIC (E111)

What have I forgotten?

Just a thought,incase you meet a jobsworth..lol
https://www.drive-france.com/faqs/france-breathalyzer-law/

Dec 13, 2017
Visit site
Will give my little office 4" usb fan a go this afternoon once it's got hot and see how it performs. Maybe I'm doing it a disservice.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The only things I can see is to make sure you have enough gas, as you will not get any UK gas over there, and EIC medical cards for EU states.
Enjoy the holiday.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Thingy said:
Breathalyser for France.

I heard that they had relaxed that ruling as they could not keep up with the production quantity needed ?
Please correct me if I am wrong though but we still carried them just in case.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I dont think the rule is officially relaxed, why knowing the French Gendarmerie, you can find great inconsistencies in the way the deal with things. For what they cost, carry them (the rule is supposed to be a pack of two).

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
More suggestions..................

Never needed them ........but I always take paper copies of passports and driving licenses and carry the copies separate to the real thing.

Make sure with your phone provider that your phone is set up for roaming and that you program in all the phone numbers you may need in a hurry.

Definitely take electric fan :cheer:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Gafferbill said:
More suggestions..................

Never needed them ........but I always take paper copies of passports and driving licenses and carry the copies separate to the real thing.

Make sure with your phone provider that your phone is set up for roaming and that you program in all the phone numbers you may need in a hurry.

Some banks allow you to input holiday dates and countries for debit and credit cards. I always also save copies of documents in the Cloud as well as taking paper copies spread around between us.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Very good point OC :)

.......Nationwide definitely want to be informed of countries you are visiting and dates of arrival and departure.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts