What is classed as too windy to tow?

Aug 25, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I am booked in for a caravan for a service this Monday, i live in the North and winds are supposedly in excess of 50kmph.

The service centre is approx 30 minute drive. Mainly on a dual carriage way.

Would it be wise rebook?

Thanks.

Chris.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

I am booked in for a caravan for a service this Monday, i live in the North and winds are supposedly in excess of 50kmph.

The service centre is approx 30 minute drive. Mainly on a dual carriage way.

Would it be wise rebook?

Thanks.

Chris.
50 mph isn’t a suitable wind speed for towing. Could you take it tomorrow or Saturday when winds are easier.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Winds at 50kmph would be more than hurricane force. I think you meant 50mph? Not wise to tow in that sort of wind, but by Monday it is supposed to be dying down?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There’s no staff answer to your question. I have towed ( no choice available) at wind speeds of 20 mph gusting to 40 mph. But that was a heavily loaded outfit where the wind direction was principally on the nose. If you look at BBC weather app you see direction and speed. Above 20 moh wind speeds it will then jump to a different colour and double or more the speed. This is because in 20 mph or above speeds gusts can often be double the average speed.

Then there’s terrain effects that can affect a vehicle, other vehicles that may pass at higher speeds as they are less susceptible to wind and gusting. Then the effects of HGV bow waves etc.

You can with experience gauge it better but I always tried to avoid travelling if I could when there were wind warnings. Preferring to change my plans.

Reactions: RogerL
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
There's no one single answer - it depends whether steady wind speed of gust speed is quoted, gusts being more destabilising than steady wind - it also depends on direction, cross-winds are more dangerous than head- or tail-wind - and it also depends on the towing ratio, I've towed in high winds with a 97% outfit but had to reduce speed very considerably but my present 65% outfit handles almost anything.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi Chris, If your trip involves open areas, I would be thinking about rebooking,

I travelled a couple of years ago from Mablethorpe to Barnard Castle, in very strong winds, the tow going North was fine, but slow maybe 45 to50 mph. But when we came to crossing the A66, A different story. I was down to 5 mph with the 1645 kg caravan being blown side ways.

Be sensible and rebook.
Stay safe

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Like what everyone says i too have towed a caravan when it been very windy if it was me i would change your appointment to another time

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I would rebook, if I were you.
One time coming home from the lakes, I had to stop early in the journey, in a service station on the M6 hoping that the winds would die down. After two hours decided to carry on, wind had turned and was coming from the North almost directly behind the van, so set off again. How wrong could I have been. There were times when the gusts, in my rear:oops: destabilised my outfit.. Particularly the bridge over the Manchester Ship Canal and by Preston and Blackpool. only when M6 turned inland a bit did the winds ease.

Yes, I would rebook.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
We cut our trip to North Lincolnshire short because of the weather forecast this week. We were due to come back on Friday ( middle of Storm Eunice 😲) Only sensible thing to do. Even on Tuesday you could feel the wind on the van while towing.
mel

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We cut our trip to North Lincolnshire short because of the weather forecast this week. We were due to come back on Friday ( middle of Storm Eunice 😲) Only sensible thing to do. Even on Tuesday you could feel the wind on the van while towing.
mel
Hi Mel coming back over the Humber bridge yesterday it was very windy so in your case i think it was wise to cut short your holiday and get home :)

Reactions: Mel
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Had a local trip planned up the M42/M1 today and back tomorrow to have a new motor mover fitted - this morning's trip was fine but tomorrow is forecast for gusts up to 63 mph so I've arranged to collect it first thing Saturday.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Had a local trip planned up the M42/M1 today and back tomorrow to have a new motor mover fitted - this morning's trip was fine but tomorrow is forecast for gusts up to 63 mph so I've arranged to collect it first thing Saturday.
Not sure where you are located but here in Worcestershire they are predicting really high winds tomorrow, with a slight drop on Saturday and Sunday right through till Wednesday when it drops to being reasonable again. Tuesday may be a safer bet?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Not sure where you are located but here in Worcestershire they are predicting really high winds tomorrow, with a slight drop on Saturday and Sunday right through till Wednesday when it drops to being reasonable again. Tuesday may be a safer bet?
The M42/M1 corridor looks good for Saturday, wind speed down to 12 mph - Tuesday is forecast to be slightly higher!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I am in South Wales at our sons place. The pub landlord has just come to the house to announce that after last nights “ breeze” the power is off so he will not be doing meals tonight, but the bar will be open. Was going back tomorrow but being in a red zone the bridges will be closed so will stay put, and hope pub has power back on for tomorrow night. It’s tough being retired.

Last edited:

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I had a text message from Western Power Distribution this morning warning that high winds on Friday may lead to power outages.
They gave contact details for those in difficulties.
I don't normally take much notice of sensationalist weather forecasts, as far as I'm concerned they are following an agenda, but tomorrow isn't a day for driving or towing I'd say.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I am in South Wales at our sons place. The pub landlord has just come to the house to announce that after last nights “ breeze” the power is off so he will not be doing meals tonight, but the bar will be open. Was going back tomorrow but being in a red zone the bridges will be closed so will stay put, and hope pub has power back on for tomorrow night. It’s tough being retired.
I think you made a wise choice and stay for a few more days :)

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I had a text message from Western Power Distribution this morning warning that high winds on Friday may lead to power outages.
They gave contact details for those in difficulties.
I don't normally take much notice of sensationalist weather forecasts, as far as I'm concerned they are following an agenda, but tomorrow isn't a day for driving or towing I'd say.
I would think it depends on how the power reaches you. If it comes on overhead power lines then you are vulnerable from falling trees and other things, Those with underground power cables should be safe. How you take the warning may depend on this and may be affected by whether the message was just sent to all those they supply, or just those they know are more vulnerable.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts