What is the most suitable 2 berth touring caravan to permanently live in?

Apr 15, 2021
Visit site
I have had to retire due to ill health and my daughter has offered part of her garden to utilise as Accomodation such as granny annexe. To cut through planning issues I have looked at siting a static but the smallest in length is 24’, too long. So I have been looking at a Sterling Eccles Quartz with fixed bed. This would suit my needs. Given the expertise on this forum are there any pitfalls or advice you can offer? I will be unable to get the caravan moved once it’s sited so servicing could be an issue. Are tourers able to be connected to mains electric, water and sewerage? I know this will defeat the object of having a tourer but they are so well designed and cheaper than building a bespoke granny annexe it seems to be the most likely alternative. Thanks in anticipation.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have had to retire due to ill health and my daughter has offered part of her garden to utilise as Accomodation such as granny annexe. To cut through planning issues I have looked at siting a static but the smallest in length is 24’, too long. So I have been looking at a Sterling Eccles Quartz with fixed bed. This would suit my needs. Given the expertise on this forum are there any pitfalls or advice you can offer? I will be unable to get the caravan moved once it’s sited so servicing could be an issue. Are tourers able to be connected to mains electric, water and sewerage? I know this will defeat the object of having a tourer but they are so well designed and cheaper than building a bespoke granny annexe it seems to be the most likely alternative. Thanks in anticipation.
You could have servicing if essential safety and habitation carried out by a mobile engineer. An external 240 v supply can be provided just like on caravan sites. This will heat water and the caravan and provide for the 240 volt sockets and fridge. Cooking will predominantly be gas. Water can be piped away to a drain but sewage will be a problem. The toilet cassette would periodically require emptying down the house toilet, unless you made an access to the sewage outflow from the house.

What are the local planning laws relating to permanently living in a caravan at the house? Will neighbours have any grounds for complaints ?

A modern caravan is comfortable and warm and provides nice accommodation but you really need to address the legal and practical aspects in parallel.

Reactions: Merlin34
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
No reason why servicing would be a problem with a mobile engineer. Also. The wheels could be removed and hubs covered and sealed.

Have you looked at items like these:

One. Two.

John

Apr 15, 2021
Visit site
What are the local planning laws relating to permanently living in a caravan at the house? Will neighbours have any grounds for complaints ?
We have spoken with the neighbours and they don’t have an issue at the moment!
What are the local planning laws relating to permanently living in a caravan at the house?
As long as you are using the caravan as ancillary to my daughter’s house which will be classed as my main residence and not to use the caravan as a separate residence then it is fine. Being a caravan as well it comes under the caravan act and planning is not needed but I see your point about it being used to sleep and live in.
Thanks for your valid relevant reply.

Have you looked at items like these:
I have looked at the Green Room but for the cost you get a lot more value for a caravan for the cost. The other one has to be fitted out with a kitchen, shower room and be suitably insulated.
Thanks for the information, really helpful.
Regards

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I know some people are weary of them. But having had experience, I can assure you that the planning and building control departments at your local authority should be extremely helpful and provide great advice.

Try giving them a call.

I don’t know what the budget is, but something like the Homebase option would provide better insulation and a greater floor area than a van, add value to a property, and could have partition walls and plumbing added at less than might be thought. But they would probably fail to meet BR requirements, however, a caravan would not meet them either.

John

Reactions: Merlin34
May 7, 2012
Visit site
I do agree with Jcloughie in that something more permanent might be a better long term option, but suspect it would need planning permission. The problem with caravans is the possibility of it developing damp as the seals deteriorate with age. That would require it to be moved to repair so you do have to make sure it can be moved again.
The caravan should be capable of staying warm even in the coldest winter but a water supply to it and an external waste would be vulnerable to frost, so some though would need to be given to that. You can however connect the caravan to the mains using an outside tap and a suitable adapter. Presumably you would heat it with a mains hook up, which should be fine but could be expensive. Large gas bottles could be a better bet but they are heavy to move.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts