What to look for in a 10 year old caravan

May 12, 2019
Visit site
I am looking to buy a 2 berth caravan around 10 years old, (21ft) I have never had a caravan before. I am aware that manufacturers bring out different improvements. I wondered with caravans if it is a bit like with cars in the 1970's when they introduced Power Steering which became the accessory to have when buying a second hand car. Obviously I am aware of Motor Movers, but what do I look for in construction improvements, heating, electrical sockets, I have looked at a couple of Swift Caravans, is there a better make. ? What would you buy at around that age. (towing weight is not important)

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I am looking to buy a 2 berth caravan around 10 years old, (21ft) I have never had a caravan before. I am aware that manufacturers bring out different improvements. I wondered with caravans if it is a bit like with cars in the 1970's when they introduced Power Steering which became the accessory to have when buying a second hand car. Obviously I am aware of Motor Movers, but what do I look for in construction improvements, heating, electrical sockets, I have looked at a couple of Swift Caravans, is there a better make. ? What would you buy at around that age. (towing weight is not important)

The most important thing to think about is whether the caravan of any brand has damp or not. Worth paying an Approved Workshop Scheme engineer to inspect if buying privately. If there is nothing to hide then the seller should have no objections. If buying from a dealer you are protected by the Consumer Rights Act 2015.
As far as construction is concerned nothing much has changed. I think Swift had an issue with some caravans circa 2012, but the issue has now been resolved. ALDE heating is certainly an advancement but only found in top of the range caravans of that vintage.
Buy what you think you like the most and not what others suggest. I am sure others will also add their own thoughts.

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
Good morning.
I'll give you my advice on this subject, I'm sure there will be a lot more.
Firstly, just like a car, I'd ask for a service history and any receipts for work done. Not a deal breaker if it hasn't but you must carry out your own checks or get them done by an independant expert.
Things to check for:
1, Damp. This is the biggest cause of damage to caravans and even new models aren't always damp free. Pay particular attention to the floor below the sink, wash basin, shower and loo. Check for visible signs around the windows, door and skylights. But, don't rely just on a visual check, a damp meter should be used.

2, Gas and electric compliance and safety checks should have been done.

3, Check the condition of the chassis for corrosion and cracks.

4, Overall internal and external condion, does it look like its been cared for.

5, Age of the tyres, they will have a date stamp on them, they could be the originals and need changing.

6, Make sure the towing electrics work properly.

7, The age and condition of the leisure battery, if it has one

8, What extras are included such as water containers, awning etc. These are the hidden extras that you will need if they aren't included. The very least it should have is an extension lead to connect up to the mains, a water pump if it's the submersible type, a winding handle for the corner steadies and a gas bottle would be nice too.

Lastly, take your time. Go out and have a look around at what's available. Don't be hasty unless it's an absolute no brainer deal of the year. Make sure it's what you want and that it suits your needs.

I hope this gives you some idea and good luck with your quest for your ideal caravan.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hutch and Jcloughie
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
At 10 years old the only British make with more modern structural improvements would be Bailey with alutech. Swift bought their improved structures out in 2013. Amongst the makes Coachman and Adria have a better reputation on surveys for used models. The German ones too have good reputations. The thing to look out for is condition, has it been carefully looked after. Full service history and damp checks. Damp is the biggest issue and don’t think you can spot it or smell it, most times it needs a meter check to find it. So a full AWS damp survey is essential.
Most internal fittings and systems come from the same equipment suppliers. Heating sub divides into two main elements. Alde wet central heating or Truma blown air. But like Marmite, there are pros and cons of both types. Look out for payload as some 2 berths only have 120 kg. Deduct a battery at 23 kg, mover at 33 kg and one 6 kg gas bottle at 10 kg you can see how payload reduces. Some vans will have been upgraded, or can be upgraded via the maker. Tyres if over five years old will need renewing irrespective of tread depth.

In answer to your question I would look at a wide range of makes, layouts etc and then narrow down my choices. Weight not being important…….Coachman, Hymer, Knaus, Adria or Burstner.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Look out for payload as some 2 berths only have 120 kg. Deduct a battery at 23 kg, mover at 33 kg and one 6 kg gas bottle at 10 kg you can see how payload reduces. Some vans will have been upgraded, or can be upgraded via the maker. Tyres if over five years old will need renewing irrespective of tread depth.
Excellent advice. Just to add that from about 2012 the gas bottle was included in the MIRO and I think the allowance is up to 20kg. This does not affect the payload and if only using one bottle your payload will increase marginally. For example, our limit is 20kg for gas bottles so only having one 7.5kg bottle at 11.5kg when it is full gives us an extra 8.5kg to our payload.

Reactions: Notmyvan
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Excellent advice. Just to add that from about 2012 the gas bottle was included in the MIRO and I think the allowance is up to 20kg. This does not affect the payload and if only using one bottle your payload will increase marginally. For example, our limit is 20kg for gas bottles so only having one 7.5kg bottle at 11.5kg when it is full gives us an extra 8.5kg to our payload.
Good point. But not all makes had the same criteria for gas. My last 2013 Swift had one at 10 kg ie 6 kg of gas, EHU, step, documents, water pipe from aqua roll and their larger TA vans were different. Cottage industry?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Good point. But not all makes had the same criteria for gas. My last 2013 Swift had one at 10 kg ie 6 kg of gas, EHU, step, documents, water pipe from aqua roll and their larger TA vans were different. Cottage industry?
I guess a lot depends on the manufacturer and what they decide. BTW wouldn't a 6kg steel Calorgas bottle weigh more than 10kg when full?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I guess a lot depends on the manufacturer and what they decide. BTW wouldn't a 6kg steel Calorgas bottle weigh more than 10kg when full?
Calorlite at 6 kg propane were 10.5 kg gross weight. Standard 6 kg propane between 15-17 kg. So Swift based MIRO on one Calorlite.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buckman
May 7, 2012
Visit site
I think that Paullus1959 sums up the basics pretty well. On makes certainly Adria and Coachman do come out on top in the magazines surveys and the German makes have a good reputation but the numbers are not enough for any firm statistics.
You do need to check out your tow car though, and consider its weight and towing limit, to see what it can safely tow. The makers towing limit is the highest it can legally tow, but if this is higher than the unladen weight plus the driver you need to keep the weight down below this total and 85% is the recommended maximum weight for beginners. In both cases you are looking at the MTPLM of the caravan, that is its maximum laden weight.
Personally I would accept an MTPLM of up to 90% with modern vehicles if this is below the maximum towing weight, but it is your choice as to whether to go that far.

Reactions: Saucer and Notmyvan
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Calorlite at 6 kg propane were 10.5 kg gross weight. Standard 6 kg propane between 15-17 kg. So Swift based MIRO on one Calorlite.
Good point to bring up. Apparently Calorlites have been in short supply for about two years so not much foresight by Swift as many people still use the steel bottles in their caravan and even more so now.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Good point to bring up. Apparently Calorlites have been in short supply for about two years so not much foresight by Swift as many people still use the steel bottles in their caravan and even more so now.
I suppose in 2012/13 when our van was made Calorlite were in plentiful supply so who would have guessed that some four or so years later they would be taken off. It would make a difference of between 4.5 and 6.5 kg to payload , and help those with nose heavy vans too.

Reactions: Buckman

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
This thread is beginning to drift off topic.
For those wishing to discuss the availability of Calorlight lpg containers, please start a separate thread.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Only you can decide what is important or not to you, Motor movers are still an after market accessory and I'm not sure if any caravan manufacturer offers one as a factory fit option. so that in context of your question is a poor example.

But there have been numerous developments over the years often starting as an aftermarket modifications, or something that's quite niche which later became almost a standard feature. Things like solid walls
Adding insulation,
pumped water (initially they were manual foot pumps)
Space heating
Electric lighting
Double glazed windows
Fridges
Mains hook ups
Ovens
Water heating
Showers
Built in radio's
Television points and aerials
MIcrowaves (still a bit of niche market)
etc etc etc

The latest and in my opinion important change started about 10 years ago and that was the change to the wall construction away from wood and other compostable materials to more engineered solutions. It's only taken the industry nearly 100 years to decide that customers were right to be very disappointed with the the way caravans traditionally aged and rotted.

I do welcome such changes which do seem to have reduced some of the damp issues, but sadly there are still far too many instances where caravan reliability and quality are still very poor.

Most of the manufacturers can point to some examples of models where the faults that do occur are small or minor, but the very next caravan on the production line might be a very differnt storey and one that causes the customer no end of issues. They can build good caravans it just that they can't seem to do it consistently. And from what I have seen none of the major UK brands are significantly better than the rest, and even some of the continental brands can have similar experiences.

By all means seek opinions from forums, but becasue of teh manufacturers inconsistencies, do not assume your own experience will be the same as any one else's.

Of course teh other point about secondhand caravans is you are unlikely to know how it has been treated by its previous owners, so that introduces a lot of additional uncertainties.

I certainly advocate two key things. If you can take a friend who is a caraanner along with you when looking at caravans, their experience may help you spot some problems you might not appreciate.

And also as has been suggested above, especially with S/H caravans its a very sensible to employ an independent caravan exert to inspect teh caravan before you agree to buy it. Its money usually well spent.

Good luck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Can't really add to what has been said. Only take a good look at the front and rear panels they have a tendency to split, particularly the rear ones, out of sight high up take a step ladder with you, so you can see,
Have just realised my van is 10 years old this year, one of the last timber made Swifts, I've had it 7 years and it's a good un so they are out there, take your time.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Can't really add to what has been said. Only take a good look at the front and rear panels they have a tendency to split, particularly the rear ones, out of sight high up take a step ladder with you, so you can see,
Have just realised my van is 10 years old this year, one of the last timber made Swifts, I've had it 7 years and it's a good un so they are out there, take your time.
Mine is 9 years old this year, thought the floored had delaminated, but it turned out that the screws in all the side panels had loosened off.
Here is a picture of the type of Cracks Dave mentioned. Rear left at the top.
20160812_134248.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Notmyvan and DaveA1
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Cannot add anymore what been put down but ours is 14 years old and in great condition for a caravan, i hope it continues

Last edited:

GAS

BANNED
Jun 5, 2015
Visit site

Damp is the number one issue . Check round the windows , awning rail , shower cubicle with a good damp meter.... Vans at that age start to have issues with window seals. Have had experience with this in the past. Go for a combi cooker then you have the best of both worlds when hooked up.
A lot of wee belters out there its just finding them but as already stated I would get an approved engineer to do the checks when you find your van. Have known many including myself being stung with very expensive repair bills..... Have also known some sellers that try to sell you a sponge so be careful.... ;)

GAS ....

Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
It's a lot to take in and all excellent advice.
Our van is 10 years old and we have had it for 3 years and it is and has been a good un,
our only stipulations were, 2 berth, no fixed bed and a large rear usable shower room and that is what we have (Elddis oddysey 462).
At this vintage don't rely so much on the make but go for dryness and condition and don't believe that a thing is good simply because it is German (although our teutonic friends do make some good vans)
It is a sellers market at the moment but even so do not be afraid to just walk away if all does not feel right.

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 4, 2020
Visit site
If it were me i would want to have everything demonstrated as well- all sockets work- heating - steadies - hitch - everything.

There are a few people out there who will try and hide issues - don't take anyone's word check yourself.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts