When we empty the caravan main sink the waste water sometimes comes up in the Shower .

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We are wondering if it something to do with the pipework under the caravan why the water sometimes comes up into the shower tray is this a easy fix if so what needs doing, with me not handy with my hands i be taking it to a caravan repairer any input on this matter would be appreciated

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I thought the main sink drain is separate from the bathroom sink and shower drain. Have you got the two outlets combined and the pipe downstream doesn’t have a free run into the waste master or service pitch drain.

Reactions: JTQ

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
We had a similar problem. The bathroom sink and kitchen sink waste pipes were connected underneath the van with a T joint before going out the side. I cut the T out and added two 90deg joints and then run each pipe out to the side of the van separately and then joined then with a Y fitting.

Obviously it means getting under the van but it also meant I could get a better pipe run as the original layout didn't have much of a slope to the outlets. Now the water runs away much better.

The shower tray has a separate waste out the side of the van and into the wastemaster. When the wastemaster got nearly full and the external pipe from the shower tray was deep in the waste water, it would back up when the sinks were emptied. I now make sure the external waste pipe never goes right into the wastemaster.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
My sink is separate from the shower and wash hand basin. Like Sam, I updated the under van drainage to smooth ridged plastic pipe. I also build in a fall over the long run from the shower. If you van has the convoluted pipe it does not flow as well and can block up more easily.

There are a few things that you can do.

Try poring some bleach down without getting it onto the sink and shower surfaces.

Hold a hosepipe over the outlets and force and rubbish out.

Renew the pipes like I suggested, (or have it done).

Have the outlets separate, but grouped together.

John

Reactions: Beachball

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
It is unusual for the shower and a sink to be on the same line (because the sink is higher, it is inevitable it will come up in the shower). The kitchen and wash room basin are usually connected because they are both higher, and you do not get drain back. This is why caravans have two separate outlets (one of them is shower only). It's not difficult to rectify if yours is wrong Beachball.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Why do caravan manufacturers insist on using the convoluted pipes as drain pipes? Is there a specific reason or just a cost cutting exercise?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
We are wondering if it something to do with the pipework under the caravan why the water sometimes comes up into the shower tray is this a easy fix if so what needs doing, with me not handy with my hands i be taking it to a caravan repairer any input on this matter would be appreciated
BB
I assume you mean when you use the bathroom basin not the kitchen sink?
Blockages in the caravan pipe, poor levelling, or running convoluted pipe work to the drain with an uphill slant. Maybe you need Buckman’s special pipe pegs? I bought some , excellent.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
BB
I assume you mean when you use the bathroom basin not the kitchen sink?
Blockages in the caravan pipe, poor levelling, or running convoluted pipe work to the drain with an uphill slant. Maybe you need Buckman’s special pipe pegs? I bought some , excellent.
DD we have two outlets outside and it from the main sink it goes into the shower sink so hoping when the caravan repairer he can get it mended for next season :cool:

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
My sink is separate from the shower and wash hand basin. Like Sam, I updated the under van drainage to smooth ridged plastic pipe. I also build in a fall over the long run from the shower. If you van has the convoluted pipe it does not flow as well and can block up more easily.

There are a few things that you can do.

Try poring some bleach down without getting it onto the sink and shower surfaces.

Hold a hosepipe over the outlets and force and rubbish out.

Renew the pipes like I suggested, (or have it done).

Have the outlets separate, but grouped together.

John
Hi John i think that might be the solution if we can update it under the van ;)

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I thought the main sink drain is separate from the bathroom sink and shower drain. Have you got the two outlets combined and the pipe downstream doesn’t have a free run into the waste master or service pitch drain.
otherclive Actually i did think the kitchen sink was separate but this only started like in the last two breaks away and i made sure the van was level and it went straight into the service drain just hoping it can be sorted . thanks for your input .

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
BB, this is very weird. Looking at the two outlets can you identify which one does what by a process of elimination?

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
otherclive Actually i did think the kitchen sink was separate but this only started like in the last two breaks away and i made sure the van was level and it went straight into the service drain just hoping it can be sorted . thanks for your input .
Strange but I still think it’s a feature of how your van is pitched and the waste drainage arrangement if it’s only happened in the last couple of weeks. What are your discharge arrangements from the outlets on the side of the caravan?

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Strange but I still think it’s a feature of how your van is pitched and the waste drainage arrangement if it’s only happened in the last couple of weeks. What are your discharge arrangements from the outlets on the side of the caravan?
We will know more it going in next week and he going to test it and see what happens

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We will know more it going in next week and he going to test it and see what happens
BB why not do as Dusty recommends and just test your caravan outlets one by one if they run free and you identify what each one drains then it may not be necessary to take it to a repair Center.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
BB why not do as Dusty recommends and just test your caravan outlets one by one if they run free and you identify what each one drains then it may not be necessary to take it to a repair Center.
. My wife empty it yesterday from the main sink pipe we took the pipe off the other and it still went into the shower but it already book in for a job next week and we have made a list what needs doing

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
We have the same trouble, particularly if we have filled the bathroom sink to the brim. bought a plug for the shower. Easily hooked out with big toe, when we realise shower tray is filling up. Never looked underneath at piping, but have two outlets.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Do you have two seperate pipes going into the wastemaster from the external outlets or do you have one of those things that connects them both together then one pipe into the wastemaster? If the later which one of these...

pipes.jpgy.jpg

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
And when you put it into the service pitch drain is it going into the water in the trap or just above the surface of the waste water

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
In my van the shower is separate while the washroom and kitchen sink drain together. To clean mine out I have two wine corks wrapped with a little insulating tape that work to plug the external outlets, then use milton solution down each plughole and fill the pipework with water, allow to soak and then remove the corks. The kitchen sink is the main culprit according to what flushes out!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts